Minerva Victory 0-6-0 Tank Locomotive

81A Oldoak

They are actually 4mm ones from an old pc model pressfix sheet. (Bought from Max Williams of Bristol probably 30 years ago!)

The same sheet (number 14?) is currently produced by HMRS. I have now added the largest 4mm numerals however these still look small. Might look better with manufacturers plate added, however I may swap for 7mm when I can get some.

Beauty of these pressfix is that they are easy to remove, but stick well enough to gloss/satin paint that you can get away without varnish if you wish.

N

They are actually 4mm ones from an old pc model pressfix sheet. (Bought from Max Williams of Bristol probably 30 years ago!)

The same sheet (number 14?) is currently produced by HMRS. I have now added the largest 4mm numerals however these still look small. Might look better with manufacturers plate added, however I may swap for 7mm when I can get some.

Beauty of these pressfix is that they are easy to remove, but stick well enough to gloss/satin paint that you can get away without varnish if you wish.

N[/quote

Hi Neal

Found some transfers at Fox Transfers have ordered a few and will let you know how they look. Duncan

• Like 1

OOOH, GOODY! Does the decoder plug in or do you have to solder?

Chaz

Chaz,

The loco will be supplied with the MX645R ZIMO decoder and ZIMO LS10X15 sugar-cube speaker ready fitted. It has been calibrated to the Victory so the chuff rate is correct. The deault addres code is 3.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 2

One loco lasted slightly later than 1969, although in a derelict condition.  I photographed Kerr Stuart 3066 the first loco of the class in the derelict wagon repair shop at NCB Aberaman, South Wales in August 1970.

attachicon.gif11827B.jpg

It was still there in July 1971 when I took some measurements for a proposed model of KS 3068 but, according to the Industrial Railway Society's Mid & South Glamorgan Handbook, it had gone by  May 1972 - presumably scrapped.  This loco had the higher cab roof like KS 3067 which leads me to believe that these first two locos were built in that form.  3066 also acquired a rather ugly replacement chimney.  

Just been reading through this thread and came across your excellent photograph.  As soon as I saw it, I thought it reminded me of an image I had stored from the web, of a locomotive which was purported to be in storage at Mountain Ash colliery (image taken c.1967).  Mountain Ash is of particular interest to me, but I had not come across any written evidence for such a loco (and certainly not a Kerr Stewart), other than mention of a mystery Andrew Barclay 0-6-0T (but no name, class or builders number) and to date I have not come across any 'in-service' pictures of it.

Anyway, the picture I had stashed away, came from David Cooke on Flickr, here;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60790501@N04/5684522451/in/pool-76098788@N00/

Looking at it in detail, I think it is the same loco as in your photo (even down to the 'dodgy' chimney and the coupling rods stored on the running boards), albeit at an earlier time (it still has the dome cover for example).  Dave Cooke has 'his' loco as being K3066 #18 in store at Mountain Ash, but you have said yours is captured at Aberaman, but in 1970.  Certainly, I do not think there was a building as extensive as the one in your photo, at Mountain Ash (especially not the engine shed there!).  David Cooke's photo is from a different angle, but the roof trusses do look very similar to the ones in your photo. On the other hand, there was only about 4km between the two locations, so maybe it was moved from Mountain Ash to Aberaman.

Be interested on your thoughts though. Maybe this was only ever in store at Mountain Ash and was not in revenue service there.

Regards

Steve

Chaz,

The loco will be supplied with the MX645R ZIMO decoder and ZIMO LS10X15 sugar-cube speaker ready fitted. It has been calibrated to the Victory so the chuff rate is correct. The deault addres code is 3.

Regards,

Chris

Better and better. I may have to take it to a friend's house to play with as it's not possible to erect Dock Green at home.

Chaz

Bank account just debited so my sound version on its way will I get before Christmas don't know but looking forward to its arrival thanks again guys you are working very hard and you deserve every success my third loco from you and it won't be the last. Merry Christmas Duncan

My dcc sound fitted loco arrived safely in Cornwall on Thursday Dec 22nd as a surprise Christmas present,as I couldn't remember what colour I had ordered at railex earlier this year. Very pleased with my red version, really must build something to run it on!!

• Like 1

Just been "testing" my sound fitted Victory on the rolling road -- very impressive indeed.

Well the rolling road just isn't adequate and the loft layout is still way too far away from even being started - so I've been cobbling together a test plank - it's about 10 foot long comes apart into two bits and will have a couple of points on it - very Heath-Robinson, made out of bits of old scrap so no expense incurred but hopefully I'll have something to run a loco on tomorrow :-)

Hi.

Yes it's me that has been asking via GOG!

I'm not concerned about the range of sounds as I have seen fron the specs that the Victory covers a lot.  I was once the owner of a large sound fitted large loco that had the full range of sounds but they were spoiled by being rather 'boxy' or 'middly' sounding.  They lacked the sharpness that you would expect from a steam loco.

Can I ask those of you who are proud owners of the sound equipped version what you think of the sound quality?

Steve

Steve

Glad the link helped, fingers crossed you'll find some help here.

Look out a chap called Jintyman. Not only a superb proponent of the weathering arts, but a bit handy with speakers too. (But he claims not to do buildings :))

Best

Simon

• 2 weeks later...

Just been reading through this thread and came across your excellent photograph.  As soon as I saw it, I thought it reminded me of an image I had stored from the web, of a locomotive which was purported to be in storage at Mountain Ash colliery (image taken c.1967).  Mountain Ash is of particular interest to me, but I had not come across any written evidence for such a loco (and certainly not a Kerr Stewart), other than mention of a mystery Andrew Barclay 0-6-0T (but no name, class or builders number) and to date I have not come across any 'in-service' pictures of it.

Anyway, the picture I had stashed away, came from David Cooke on Flickr, here;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60790501@N04/5684522451/in/pool-76098788@N00/

Looking at it in detail, I think it is the same loco as in your photo (even down to the 'dodgy' chimney and the coupling rods stored on the running boards), albeit at an earlier time (it still has the dome cover for example).  Dave Cooke has 'his' loco as being K3066 #18 in store at Mountain Ash, but you have said yours is captured at Aberaman, but in 1970.  Certainly, I do not think there was a building as extensive as the one in your photo, at Mountain Ash (especially not the engine shed there!).  David Cooke's photo is from a different angle, but the roof trusses do look very similar to the ones in your photo. On the other hand, there was only about 4km between the two locations, so maybe it was moved from Mountain Ash to Aberaman.

Be interested on your thoughts though. Maybe this was only ever in store at Mountain Ash and was not in revenue service there.

Regards

Steve

Steve, I've just come across this post, hence the delay in answering the query.

The Aberaman and Mountain Ash were originally two separate systems, but were connected by a NCB line on the course of the closed BR Vale of Neath Line in February 1971 - per Industrial Railway Society info.  By that date the only facility served by the Aberaman system was the Aberaman Phurnacite Plant so the connection allowed coal to reach the plant from collieries on the Mountain Ash system via an internal NCB line.

However KS 3066 was out of use before 1971 so remained stored at Aberaman until disposal.  I believe the large building it was stored in was originally used for wagon repairs, although I'm not sure where I got that information because when I photographed the loco it was completely empty apart from KS 3066.  Maybe it was part of the ironworks which originally occupied the site.

The new Railway Modeller has a photo credited I think to the industrial railway society of North Hetton Collery 19/3074 taken in 1952.

Loco has a rather nice circular numberplate on the side tank. Also mentions it carried the number 41.

Now the big question, does anyone have any further photos of this loco and any details of its livery or a nice closeup of the number plate ? She is another one which would make a lovely model if the details can be unearthed.