Today, 50 Years Ago (S&DJR)

• RMweb Gold

Don't be silly, merely looked at one in a shop less distant from me than Larkhall :-)  To mis-quote, one photo does not a purchase make....

Sometimes one photo does make the purchase worthwhile. Anyway, this is one book I shall definitely be buying, from himself, as soon as I can get myself to The Premises.

• RMweb Gold

There was still some running rail still in situ at Stalbridge last time I was there.

Come on Chris, get you wallet out:-) The new book is a delightful read, contains some fascinating photos and an absolute must for any student of the SDJR. Highly recommended.

Jerry, who has already bought and read his copy.

There was still some running rail still in situ at Stalbridge last time I was there.

Come on Chris, get you wallet out:-) The new book is a delightful read, contains some fascinating photos and an absolute must for any student of the SDJR. Highly recommended.

Jerry, who has already bought and read his copy.

>>>>There was still some running rail still in situ at Stalbridge last time I was there.....

But that was for the war-time siding extension, not the main line. And no, I don't need yet another book on the S&D to tell me that, tho' it might be considered were it to include interior views of all the signal-boxes........:-)

I was under the impression, from their condition, that the gates were actual 'survivors'. Comments elsewhere suggest that they are in fact (re)constructed replacements. Does anyone have any more info please?

Definitely replicas, chap I worked with a few years ago owned the house and rebuilt it, told me he had had the gates made up as it looked better with them!

• RMweb Gold

Don't be silly, merely looked at one in a shop less distant from me than Larkhall :-) To mis-quote, one photo does not a purchase make....

Excellent, what a wag you are.

Perhaps you'd like to go to the same shop next time you intend to spend ages looking through a book before not buying it.

In the same spirit as your posts I'd be very happy if in future you didn't put yourself out with a trip out to my shop in Larkhall unless you were actually planning to spend some money there.

I wasn't going to say anything but your continuing posts on this thread are unbelievably mean spirited!

• RMweb Premium

Sometimes one photo does make the purchase worthwhile. Anyway, this is one book I shall definitely be buying, from himself, as soon as I can get myself to The Premises.

I have sometimes found that a book I purchase for one thing, perhaps one photo, becomes useful at a later date for some other reason. So, while in general I wouldn't buy a book for a single photo or reference, I try to assess it on more than that to make up my mind about a purchase (funds withstanding).

Excellent, what a wag you are.

Perhaps you'd like to go to the same shop next time you'd like to spend ages looking through a book before not buying it.

In the same spirit as your posts I'd be very happy if in future you didn't put yourself out with a trip out to my shop Larkhall unless you were actually planning to spend some money there.

I wasn't going to say anything but your subsequent posts on this thread are unbelievably mean spirited!

To say that I am disappointed and astonished by your comments would be an understatement. Were it not for the fact that you made them on a public forum, I might perhaps have brushed them off on the assumption that you were having a ‘bad day’. Ironic then that, just before I read your posting, I had spent a pleasant hour or so reading further through the latest book which I had purchased from you !

To make it clear, I did not go searching for Bob’s new book, I came across it quite unexpectedly whilst in the city centre looking for something else entirely. At the time I thought that, were I to decide eventually to have a copy, then it could wait until I could bring my custom to Larkhall – apparently such a courtesy will not be necessary now.

Whilst I do have an interest in the S&DJR, it does not extend to automatically purchasing every book published on that line – or indeed any of my other interests - however ‘good’ they may be. Apart from anything else, there is the practical issue of where to put them all – my bookshelves are double-stacked already, and my wife likes to match every new railway book with a purchase for her own interests!

This forum – like so many others on RM Web – is an excellent place for sharing information and photographs (and I try, wherever possible, to ‘give’ as much as I ‘receive’). It is not an appropriate place to pillory someone about their shopping habits, which seems a strange approach to encouraging custom.

Archived