Which 0 Gauge Fexi-track?

I went to the G0G do on Saturday. I have a length of Peco bull-head track, my main dis-satisfaction with 00 was the lack of BH and guess what they have done? Be that as it may, I had a good look at C&L and Marcway track and they both look better than Peco. The C&L guy recommended flexi over components because apart from anything else it's cheaper.

What opinions do we have here about these makes, or indeed any others I may not be aware of? All opinions gratefully received.

Thanks

#Ed

It rather depends whether you want to model to traditional 32mm Finescale, or 31.5mm 0-MF, which gives distinctly better appearance and running through pointwork. If the latter, building plain track from C&L components will be the better option.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Ed didn't ask about hand built track or points - the question was about RTR flexible track where he had found 3 options. By all accounts 31.5mm pointwork does look better and provide improved running without the noticeable 'drop' with Peco points but for a layout with a lot of plain track would it not be better to use flexible lengths for both speed and cost - which takes us back to Ed's original question as I wondered the same - which is better?

This 0 gauge malarkey is more complicated than I thought, and it would seem that the gauge wars are still with us.

Ed

I've got some short lengths of used Peco track, and don't think it's anything special. I haven't seen other makes to compare it with though. There's no gauge war that I've seen. Don't worry about it. I aspire to O-MF, but it may not happen for some time as I've been given enough copperclad track for my forthcoming layout. If I can re-gauge it I might, but I might not. Finescale wheels will happily run on O or O-MF gauges, so I might end up with a mixture

Half a millimetre in 7mm scale is nothing. I'm sure the gauge of any track can vary by that much. On my bodged trackwork for Cheapside Yard, I narrowed it to 31.5mm in one place, because I needed O gauge wheels to run through the flangeways of a Peco OO point. The rest is about 32mm because I've only got 32mm gauges, but for code 124 rail rather than the code 100 I used. I wouldn't recommend this approach on anything more than a small shunting layout though!

Archived