WST (Websters Steel Terminal)

Alcanman

Towards the end of my Tees Yard WRD thread, I mentioned the inspiration for a new layout.

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:34

This is my first posting of 2016 and changes are afoot at Tees Yard WRD. It had occured to me that most of my small collection of EWS wagons were steel types, BDA,BYA and BZA.

Thoughts turned to a steel related layout and browsing through 'British Railway Goods Wagons in colour 1960 - 2003, I found some pics of Wolverhampton Steel Terminal. A large covered warehouse with one internal siding and a few sidings with hardstanding and a crane for unloading onto lorries. Just the sort of scene which would make a small, interesting, shunting layout. Also a nice variety of steel wagon types.

Further research here on RMWeb revealed the WST had been modelled on the superb 'Horseley Fields' n gauge exhibtion layout and this recent discussion provided more info and inspiration.

http://www.rmweb.co....ins-1990s-2015/

This has inspired me to think about building a layout with a mini version of WST, however, for the time being Tees Yard WRD will be 'converted' to a small steel terminal.

So here we go with my 'mini version of WST'. The track plan includes a covered warehouse with internal siding and 3 sidings outside with hardstanding. All in 9ft and only 3 points!

post-7898-0-02790800-1457635813_thumb.jpg

...and more inspiration - a model-size 6E08 Wolverhampton Steel Terminal - Immingham

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevor-plackett/14851171721/#

Baseboards now in place and yesterday I picked up the remaining track needed for the layout at the Perth Green exhibition.

Track temporarily pinned while I check it against my track plan, hopefully everything will fit after a little fine tuning.

Also placed some warehouses I've been working on to see how things will look.

post-7898-0-05294900-1457874355_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-40737400-1457874382_thumb.jpg

At the other end of the layout the  'Websters Engineering' structure will provide a convenient 'view block' for the staging track.

post-7898-0-52951600-1457874485_thumb.jpg

Track now all glued in place and wiring completed. 

It's odd to think that in my old DC days I would have probably only used one pair of feed wires for this Inglenook type layout.(I learnt wiring back in the day from PECO - 'How not to wire your layout'!). 

When DCC came along we were told 'You only need 2 wires' which is ironic since I've used 7 pairs of wires for this small layout. Well worth the small extra effort to hear the class 60 fire up and proceed to crawl around the layout without a hiccup.

For some time, Ive been thinking that my next loco would be a class 37 in EWS livery and I've had my eye on the recent release 37174 from Bachmann. I couldn't believe my luck when I called at a local model shop to find they were having a closing down sale and 37174 was available with 30% off RRP!

The factory weathering is actually rather good and somehow looks better 'in the flesh' than on photos.

post-7898-0-42725600-1458317250_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-61521700-1458317292_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's looking good. I have unloaded at a few Steel Terminals. One suggestion I would make is to either move the Warehouse to the Centre of the first siding or extend the warehouse itself. So that you are able to unload/load more than one wagon or shunt an empty wagon forward so you unload a second one. That is, if you plan to break down the incoming train for shunting. For example, the 2 Rail Loading Bays at Trostre are only long enough for Two Cargowaggons for example.

You might also want to consider the height of the Warehouse. Most places I've been to use overhead gantry cranes to unload Coils, so are at least 30 to 40 foot Tall, (Although some also use very large fork trucks adapted to lift coils out of the well as well.) Also bear in mind, Stored Coils do get stacked on each other usually two high. I have seen three high as well. In Trostre, Tophats are stacked Five High! I should mention that a TopHat Coil, is a Coil with its eye to the sky, it is completely wrapped in a blue plastic and sits in a round rubber pallet called a skid.

Trostre sends Tinplated Coils out by rail using Cargowaggons. You could conceivably have a Trostre/Margam Mixed Train running to Websters!

Simon

Archived