Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Railway Modeller - 'Student Modeller'

I've recently been re-reading my stash of old Railway Modellers in order to gain some inspiration. When doing so, I've been struck by the old Student Modeller section. Now it is probably due to my age, but I love the 1996 and 1997 set of RM's and I always go back to these two particular years as my first port of call. In those two years there are some really cracking layouts under this section, examples which more than old their own against the 'grown up' layouts in the magazine! Particular stand-outs include 'Little Norton' by an Edward Seed (Sept '97) and 'Arlesby' by Matthew Clarke (March '96)... I wonder where they are now!?

Now, it was always my ambition as a young lad to get my layout published in the Student Modeller but sadly I never achieved it. To be perfectly honest I got nowhere near finishing a layout in order to submit anything, but I still tried to keep the dream alive! However what I started to ponder was... I wonder how many of those (then) young people are still in the hobby now? Where did it lead to? Was it the first of a number of layout articles published in the modelling press?

So I would be fascinated to hear from anyone who had their layout published in Student Modeller and when? By virtue of replying then you are obviously still involved (or at least interested in) the hobby to some extent... something that could only be a positive in proving this is a hobby for life!

Anyway, apologies for the rambling but I just thought it might make for an interesting topic. So are there any of you early achievers out there on RM Web, those who managed what I never did!? Don't be shy, step forward!

• RMweb Premium

It was called Junior Modeller when I featured, back in 1977. I'm still here, I suppose, but I haven't completed a layout since. Building things that would go on permanent exhibition at Pendon seemed much more worthwhile. Just now I've started buying modern RTR because I like looking at them. I could never improve on a Hornby King or the new bow-ended stock, and it would be a waste of what's left of life to try. On the other hand, building some Radley Dreadnoughts to put behind the Heljan John Milton was a lot of fun and they look reasonable.

• RMweb Premium

I've asked the same question a couple of times, with no response at all. But i see you've got an admission already.

There must be lots of Junior/Student Modellers out there, as its been a feature since early days. I have issue 79 in Volume 8 & its in there and now up to Volume 67, so there is a minimum of 700 (assuming few duplicates). Some might even have sons or possibly grandsons.

Not exactly what the OP is looking for, but in 1989, a colleague and I started a model railway club after school hours in a downtown primary school in Liverpool. The children built a simple model railway, “Lockerby Road” (the school address) complete with scenery, houses, gardens etc. We used it as a curriculum aid to teach  about Geometry, Electricity, Maths etc, and to aid Literacy, we got them to write  about the project, and submitted it to RM.

Imagine the excitement when it was published in the Junior Modeller section, and then voted for as best in the year!  At that time, the Model Railway Club in London  provided the prize, which was to exhibit at the Model Railway Exhibition . The following year, my colleague and I were invited to the press morning,  treated to a tour of the club showrooms and lunched.  A few months later, we  spent  three days  at the exhibition in a great hotel, the children were given a VIP tour of London on a private open topped bus, and treated like royalty at the exhibition.  I have often wondered if  this event influenced any of the children  to continue with  the hobby later on.

I had a layout as student modeller - July 97. It was a small (5ftx1ft) gwr branch terminus called 'Turville'. It was built as part of the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme. When my parents retired a couple of years ago they found the RM with it in. Secretly I'm rather proud of it - it doesn't look too bad at all. But the text is rather embarrassing - as an 18yr old I thought I knew everything and modelling/railways was no exception.

I remember taking the photos was a right hassle in the days before digital. My father had to borrow a camera and lots of lamps and we did the photos on a sunny day in the garden.

The first I knew it was accepted was a cheque in the post from Peco for a sum which to me seemed amazing for doing my hobby. I did actually get an invitation to exhibit but couldn't make it as was off to university. The layout gathered dust and fell apart in the garage.

I'm rather proud of that layout as it's the only one I've actually completed! After university I was kicking round for a hobby and my now wife suggested I got back into railway modelling. I think she rather regrets that now!!! My parents dug out what was left of the layout and stock and I started again. Hopefully I'll finish something soon but in not sure it'll ever quite match that layout to me

I had 2 layouts, a very short piece on Teignham, a very crude Devon based layout (might have just been a photo), probably around 1988/89 I think.

I then had Argyle Road as a full feature but still badged as Student Modeller and this was in conjunction with appearing at Nottingham show. Not sure of the year, maybe 1994? Argyle road was set in Glasgow around 1990.

I have had two layouts since then, Weston Road, set in Crewe around 1994 to 2000 and I currently have Kirkmellington, set in 1970s Ayrshire on the circuit. See kirkmellington.wordpress.com

Each layout has aimed to improve over the last, code 100 became code 75 which became EM.

I have also been a helper on other layouts including Eskmuir and New Hey and am a member of two clubs.

Thanks to all who have replied so far! Some fascinating stories out there and it is nice to hear of those remaining or coming back to the hobby  :imsohappy:

If there is anyone else out there... keep them coming!

The one 'junior modeller' I recall was the guy modelling SNCF in HO in the 1970s. (Mainly because I was amazed at just how much wonga his parents must have been prepared to lash out on him!) But both the layouts featured - a mk1, and a subsequent mk2 - were well thought out for operational interest, and made intelligent use of the RTR available. The writing was good too, some effort had been made and it showed.

...But the text is rather embarrassing - as an 18yr old I thought I knew everything and modelling/railways was no exception...

So no chance of infallible insight into the meaning of life, the universe and everything then? Why do we always learn too late just where the fount of all knowledge was?

• RMweb Gold

I can't check at the moment as my stuff is in storage, but I think there was a OO gauge freelance layout built by an "M. Goodall" described, possibly twice, in Student Modeller in the late 60s. I did wonder if that was Martin Goodall (who moved on to slightly wider and more accurate things in due course).

Archived