Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

We are blessed with much improved kits over the twenty or so years I’ve been modelling in 7mm.  I’ve had a couple of absolute horrors.

There were some terrible things out there, and I’m sure that more than a few potentially capable but inexperienced modellers were put off by their failure to turn an unbuildable collection of castings & etchings into the model they had imagined (or seen on the box lid), which is a damn shame.  The trouble is, there’s a tendency to buy cheap, on the basis that one doesn’t want to make a rookie mistake with something expensive.  

But the more expensive kits, by and large, went together properly.  So the rookie would be better served thereby.

I get the impression that most of the modern kits are entirely buildable.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 19/12/2021 at 08:57, Simond said:

We are blessed with much improved kits over the twenty or so years I’ve been modelling in 7mm.  I’ve had a couple of absolute horrors.

There were some terrible things out there, and I’m sure that more than a few potentially capable but inexperienced modellers were put off by their failure to turn an unbuildable collection of castings & etchings into the model they had imagined (or seen on the box lid), which is a damn shame.  The trouble is, there’s a tendency to buy cheap, on the basis that one doesn’t want to make a rookie mistake with something expensive.  

But the more expensive kits, by and large, went together properly.  So the rookie would be better served thereby.

Interesting point. My first completed kit (4mm) was a Bradwell J27! - usually described as not for the rookie. I'd tried other kits before and abandoned them due to the issues you mention, together with their failure to capture the prototype's lines. If you're going to spend 60+ hours on something (Dave's estimate for the J27) you want something that will look like the real thing at the end of it; otherwise you'll lose interest. 

I once heard a trader at York Show recommending someone buy a cheap airbrush to learn on: no! airbrushing is hard enough without having to deal with the foibles of cheap cr@p! Same with kits.  

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 19/12/2021 at 08:57, Simond said:

It is worth noting that many of these kits pre date home computers and were drawn by hand.  Some, even predate etch brass ( has anyone else built the A4 models pacific that came as an approximate set of stampings.) By and large there was little else to choose from and for those who hadn't started the journey to scratch building we were grateful for anything vaguely resembling the prototype. It was taken for granted that some filing and lead loading would be required. On top of that there were no internet forums to inform our purchase or provide get out of jail advice when it all went Pete tong..

So to all those who have brought us to where we are today I say "thank you" and raise a glass at this festive time.

• Agree 1

Well, as my Italian pals would say “ni”…

yes, something is better than nothing

no, a collection of something-like etchings does not a kit make.

a bit of clarity in the description would go a long way.  “An aid to scratchbuilding” is a perfectly reasonable explanation, though I guess it might limit the profitability of the venture!

2 hours ago, doilum said:

It is worth noting that many of these kits pre date home computers and were drawn by hand.  Some, even predate etch brass ( has anyone else built the A4 models pacific that came as an approximate set of stampings.) By and large there was little else to choose from and for those who hadn't started the journey to scratch building we were grateful for anything vaguely resembling the prototype. It was taken for granted that some filing and lead loading would be required. On top of that there were no internet forums to inform our purchase or provide get out of jail advice when it all went Pete tong..

So to all those who have brought us to where we are today I say "thank you" and raise a glass at this festive time.

I do agree kits pre dating CAD was at times very hit & miss.   I do stick my head out and mention my own pre CAD  Kenscale kits did go together very well as I took the trouble to make  the drawings quite accurate.  Also I used the same casting manufacture as Slater's do.

Thankfully things quickly moved on post CAD.

• Like 1

Let's face it though - a badly designed kit is still a badly designed kit, whether hand drawn or CAD - it's just that with CAD - it's wrong to two decimal places!

We used to draw artworks at 2x scale to minimise error as I'm sure a lot of others did - CAD has improved things a lot but I still miss cutting out all the parts and sticking them on large mounting boards and making all the tags with tipp-ex!

I don't miss spending ages painting in large blocks of red around tiny white half etch rivets though - this now takes a few seconds on CAD.

Jeff

Scorpio Models

• Like 6
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 weeks later...

First let me wish you all a very happy new year.  Hoping y'all get all you are wishing for.

Now back to the WB.  I'v spent the last ten days or so dabbling with this Meteor Models 0-6-0 Jumbo loco.

It's really and old Albian Models kit with the original quite poor instructions, which left the builder to a lot of guess work.

I've got it sorted at last after raiding my spare boxes for a lot of the detail parts, here is the finished job after painting it and getting it running over the past two days

IMG_0001.JPG.88b2549abf74363e1d2d4233ddc5cfef.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG.cf99420d24c639737b0993d9ab7fd45e.JPG

Edited by jazz
Had wrong manufacturer.
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Hi Angus.  I'm afraid not, these are  for my good friend Geoff. Not counting the Pug with tender which has an LMS number and will be on my layout.

Edited by jazz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another Meteor Models now completed.  It had some problems which I spent a fair bit of time sorting them out.  The castings left a lot to be desired too.    The tanks were filled with lead weigh.  All that's need now is another waft over the body with primer. 

The 1833 motor and fold up gear box was a very tight fit. With the cab floor requiring some metal removal and a small step in front of the backplate.

156568014_pclass1.JPG.d898b6a0ca970a5b479090ca6c5c80e1.JPG

1727402833_pclass2a.JPG.0d4f3316a91cc01c0a348d33ae282c07.JPG

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Finally got the Mogul painted and ready for the off.  Also built this Gladiator LNWR fitted goods van and primed it today.

2004979652_mogalpainted1a.JPG.6efb4d592520271af2bbd4ce82278804.JPG

2016396708_mogulpained2a.JPG.6633d14cb525f772bb206f346bce82f0.JPG

1227416053_lnwrvangrey2.JPG.5d8e65f37449031728db259824e9bb71.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 14

3 minutes ago, Argos said:

Just out of interest Ken how many Jubilees have you built now?

You must have nearly done the whole fleet?

I'm not sure Angus.  I do know I have six or seven waiting to be built.

• Like 2

Jazz,

Back about page 45 you illustrate a North Staffordshire B class, which you say along with an L class you produced as kits in the late 80's.   What became of the art/phototools?

Edited by bluestag
Spelling

Hi.  Yes, I did design and produce the North Staffs B class and the New L class back in the 1970's.  I sold it all to another kit producer after a short to concentrate on narrow gauge kits.

The B class was never produced by the new owner but did add the L Class to his range.    So I cannot say what happened to the artwork etc after that.

I did find both unmade kits a while back on ebay after my return from a spell living in Florida and restarting my 0 gauge interests.

Out of interest a shot of the NG outdoor section with two of my kits there were quite a few other coach a loco kits too.

(Apologies for the poor quality of the photo, taken today from an old photo from the 1970's)

IMG_0044.JPG.924b76f0ff20d63547bf90cda2086dad.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

13 hours ago, jazz said:

"Hi.  Yes, I did design and produce the North Staffs B class and the New L class back in the 1970's.  I sold it all to another kit producer after a short to concentrate on narrow gauge kits.

The B class was never produced by the new owner but did add the L Class to his range.    So I cannot say what happened to the artwork etc after that."

A shame to loose art like that.   I'd dearly like to have both locos.   Care to tell us who the manufacturer was?    You have no idea what became of him?

13 hours ago, jazz said:

ISTR that Chowbent (John Robinson) produced a NSR 'New L' in 7mm scale for a while - late 1990's maybe?  The Chowbent stuff disappeared into JLRT mostly never to be seen again.  This was a pity as they were good kits in their day.

Ray.

3 hours ago, bluestag said:

Changing topic for a moment, how in the world do you manage to build brass locos without showing solder?   I do OK, but there is always a slight tell tale somewhere on my models.

I always solder from behind /under parts where possible.  The areas that cannot be done then solder will be visible.  I use various sizes of scratch brushes to remove as much as possible. Re the tender above this post, there is some showing on the tool box door.    Also it's being able to keep the amount down when going along a joint.  This it where a really good flux comes into play.  I always use MBO products fluxes and solders.

Edited by jazz
  • Informative/Useful 2