Jazz 7mm Workbench

jazz

It's been a slow build so far.   I've never been a fan of these DJH kits but I almost there now.  Shame it looks so dirty at the moment,  the white metal had got splash marks from the flux.  A good scrub will brighten things up when I've added the final parts.

904594327_bpbodyworksalmost.JPG.e59c4d2a7ef3103968167b741abf84aa.JPG

• Like 17

A couple of days building this Javelin Models L & Y Coal Wagon.  All white metal, except floor which is not supplied so I used plastikard.

I think it would have been a nicer model etched brass, just a personal thought.

1643905175_LYwagon2.JPG.b4d0dc59fd40a2348c283df5bacc5613.JPG

• Like 11

4 hours ago, JeffP said:

What did you dislike about the build, if I could ask?

A few things really.  The valve gear is very thin and the joints so weak.  The white metal footplate and boiler were a very poor fit and not nice to work with either. I'm not against white metal casing for , say, the s/box and saddle etc but far to much on a loco this size.  The tender by comparison was a delight to build all being etched brass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Morning Ken,

I've very much enjoyed catching up with your various builds this morning over coffee: very inspirational work.

All the best,

Nick.

Thanks Nick.  Very pleased you are enjoying my various builds.    I've just started a Colin Flannery kit of a 1930's LMS Karrier RO-RAIL BUS.  This is for my own layout.

The ro-rail bus is now under way.  Another white metal kit:unsure:  Plenty of detailing left to do as yet. There seating and luggage cover for the roof. angst other things.

939824472_railbus1a.JPG.b4e19c9ba4a00c93a70ec17aed4e4d35.JPG

• Like 13

The ro-rail bus is progressing with the painting.  This is being done between the Southern R1 tank build, mor about that later.

The bus need more on the paintwork, the interior needs seats, glazing, etc to be installed. The buffer beam fitted and the road wheels lifting devices fitted.

502776636_rorail4.JPG.c8a39bcecd7c433ca578b742a865ce5e.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

16 hours ago, jazz said:

The ro-rail bus is progressing with the painting.  This is being done between the Southern R1 tank build, mor about that later.

The bus need more on the paintwork, the interior needs seats, glazing, etc to be installed. The buffer beam fitted and the road wheels lifting devices fitted.

502776636_rorail4.JPG.c8a39bcecd7c433ca578b742a865ce5e.JPG

I have one of the K's versions in 00 gauge, then found out it used the line to Hemel Hempstead (from Redbourne?) which ran past the bottom of my sisters old garden

Ho dear, what a kit.  A lot of the castings are missing.  The ones for the ashpan sides,  the ones for the sides of the boiler. There is nothing at all for the cab interior. No brake or vac pipes. No air tank for the chassis.  No whistle assembly which quite different from a regular type where it's just a whistle.  So a call to Geoff to see if he has any that will do the job. I have nothing in my scrap box for those items.

The lack of valances I can make up.

Other than that all is well.  (PS Although this is a McGowan please do not confuse this with big Jim's Connoisseur kits, it's a different guy altogether.)

Here's the chassis minus the two ashpan castings, you can see the hole where it goes.

475196833_SouthernR1a.JPG.167c8030df4e08f1e154ab85970f379b.JPG

• Like 8

8 hours ago, hayfield said:

I have one of the K's versions in 00 gauge, then found out it used the line to Hemel Hempstead (from Redbourne?) which ran past the bottom of my sisters old garden

That,s cool.  Any photos of it?

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, hayfield said:

the line to Hemel Hempstead (from Redbourne?) 

from Harpenden actually... otherwise known as... The Nickey Line ;)

There are pictures of the Ro-railer in use in a number of books on the line.

I have two, both by Sue and Geoff Woodward...

'The Harpenden to Hemel Hempstead Railway - The Nickey Line' from Oakwood Press

and

'Branch Line to Hemel Hempstead - The Nickey Line' from Middleton Press

The first book also has a pic of a Ro-rail motor-lorry in use at Redbourn.

Photos are copyright so cannot reproduce here...

Edited by Nickey Line
Addition
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 05/03/2022 at 18:42, jazz said:

That,s cool.  Any photos of it?

I will take a couple, I built it as is for K's, I intend to alter the running gear, firstly so it runs better, secondly to get some seating details 

There was a lorry version, 

Edited by hayfield

Whilst awaiting the missing casting for the Southern R1 I have finished the Karrier Ro-Rail bus.  I have some final touching up to do on it and add driver, conductor and some passengers.

441893709_rorailfinishedb.JPG.b0d9755894f45cb8a18dce88e777aab1.JPG

606801024_rorailfinnishedacoseup.JPG.27f57472ac7d445ab98622bd1d7417ec.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

7 hours ago, N15class said:

That would be the E1 that is blue with a big 1 on the side.

IMG_20220305_163343896.jpg.fcef9d15358f35c942055891e324f6cc.jpg

IMG_20220305_163353967.jpg.535aae31d69c742f65b62188b67c28f5.jpg

I have one too. It was built for the children over 25 years ago and more recently served ars a test loco during the setting up at shows. I thought it would be safe to leave around as it was a one off.......until we showed at Telford where I counted at least three others doing exactly the same thing. Only last week it was on the service bench after three years in the exhibition tool box. I was reminded why it has always been such a good runner having a very expensive Slater's gearbox motor!

• Like 4

Now for an Highland Railway Skye Bogie loco.  This kit is from Laurie Griffin. I think I'm right saying it's an old Shedmaster kit?   I do know Laurie was not kidding when he says in the introduction it's a difficult one to build and there is a lot of compromises to be made which is left to the constructor to work out what is best for them.  Not with standing the quality of the etches (I should say lack quality)   There was for instance a hole in the middle one step where the etch acid had eaten through.   The buffer beam was no where near wide enough, the same for the draw bar.  No coal rails or lamp irons provided.

If you were to fit the side framed in the half etch lines, the wheels would not fit between them.  That mean pushing them out meant the footplate was not wide enough.  So started the ongoing problems.  Ho well, I've done the best I can so far without a lot of scratch building that is.  It needs a bit of tidying up.

Here is the tender so far.

989300452_HRTender1.JPG.5fef970a3faba833e654be421c9955fe.JPG

1180314912_HRtender2.JPG.b519946eae165e7fea0d776f93587aaa.JPG

Edited by jazz
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, jazz said:

Now for an Highland Railway Skye Bogie loco.  This kit is from Laurie Griffin. I think I'm right saying it's an old Shedmaster kit?   I do know Laurie was not kidding when he says in the introduction it's a difficult one to build and there is a lot of compromises to be made which is left to the constructor to work out what is best for them.  Not with standing the quality of the etches (I should say lack quality)   There was for instance a hole in the middle one step where the etch acid had eaten through.   The buffer beam was no where near wide enough, the same for the draw bar.  No coal rails or lamp irons provided.

If you were to fit the side framed in the half etch lines, the wheels would not fit between them.  That mean pushing them out meant the footplate was not wide enough.  So started the ongoing problems.  Ho well, I've done the best I can so far without a lot of scratch building that is.  It needs a bit of tidying up.

Here is the tender so far.

989300452_HRTender1.JPG.5fef970a3faba833e654be421c9955fe.JPG

1180314912_HRtender2.JPG.b519946eae165e7fea0d776f93587aaa.JPG

I think you will also find apart from being an old She'd master kit, it comes from a blown up Jidenco 4mm kit. Same heritage as my BEATTIE well tank.