Original Kerry branch train

CKPR

Hello everyone  - I'm looking for drawings of the 4w coach and brake van used as originally used on the Kerry branch. My workbench and main layout (Mealsgate & High Blaithwaite [M&CR]) is currently packed away up in Cumbria (appropriately) and I am thinking of portable projects to work on the two to three evening a week when I'm in Cardiff, hence the Kerry branch train. I fancy doing some modelling in S scale again as I've got a stock of wheels, W-irons, etc in stock and I reckon the increase in size (and just the one coach) will facilitate using the plasticard 'doily' method for the coach. Not only that but Cambrian two plank wagons are available from the SSMRS to complete the train. Therefore, can someone please point me in the right direction for the requisite plans ? Many thanks in advance.

The Tanat Valley Light Railway by Mike Lloyd carries drawings for a couple of 4 wheel carriages. HMRS and the NRM have everything you'll need drawings wise though. You've left out one major item to finish the train though - a loco! 

In my book, locos are easy compared to panelled coaches ! (and it's an only an 0-4-0...)

Have you tried contacting the Welsh Railways Research Circle www.wrrc.org.uk ?

One of the coaches used on the Kerry Mule was an LNWR design composite from the 1860s

so there may be drawings available from the LNWR Society or the relevant HMRS stewards.

There was a drawing of the locos published in one of the model railway magazines some years back – I'll see

if I can find my copy...

Richard

• RMweb Premium

I'm not sure which carriage you are referring to. There is an undated photo on page 65 of Cambrian Railways Album described as just before the 0-4-0 tanks were displaced. That has an early 4-compartment carriage and a van. The Mawddwy, Van and Kerry Branches has the same photo on page 164 dated as the early 1890s. But the same book has another photo on the same page dated July 1904 which still has an 0-4-0 tank, but an earlier looking carriage with rounded panelling at the ends, stage coach style. And in the same book on page 162 is a side-on view of what appears to be the same loco and carriage, with a 2-plank wagon (it also appears on one design of Oakwood Press bookmark). That is dated 1903.

There is an early drawing in volume 1 of the The Cambrian Railways of a 5-compartment 3rd of 1866. This is slightly later than the "Parliamentary" stock for which there do not seem to be drawings, but does not match either of those in the photos. Certainly the HMRS has nothing. I don't know about the Circle, as I am not sure how to access its drawings lists. Tony Miller is your man there, as he is archivist.

Jonathan

PS I just noticed that one of the photo captions in the Kerry book dates the carriage as 1860. This is earlier than the Parliamentary stock and the drawing. But I would have thought the carriage with the stage coach type panelling would have been earlier.

Archived