Road with level crossing closed

Reorte

• RMweb Premium

A side road I pass every day to work currently seems to be closed (there are lots of road works in the area at the moment). Along that road is a level crossing (Norbury Hollow, on the Buxton line). This is still a manned crossing.

Assuming just for the sake of argument (because I don't know for sure) that the road is closed where the crossing is, that the work isn't anything to do with the crossing, and that it is just a crossing box, not a block post, does the crossing continue to operate as normal (given that it's a temporary road closure)? Again let's assume that there is definitely no traffic, so no works vehicles / local access (maybe it does continue to work because it's simpler to do that than guarantee nothing will try to cross).

Many years ago I worked on a tender for a marina near Llandudno which had a manned crossing. The man was there even though there was no traffic as the site was pretty much abandoned.

The developer had approached railtrack about creating a new automatic crossing but they quoted a seven figure number. The developer knew the rights of access made the crossing keeper a fixture paid by the railway so kept the status quo and avoided any costs!

Funny things, level crossings.

On one minesite I worked on, in the Pilbara region of WA, when the rail link was being put in, there was a directive to treat a crossing on one of the access roads as "live" several months before any track was laid.

I know it's probably good practice to get everyone used to stopping and looking but even so....

This anecdote, which appeared in the press at the time, relates to a closed railway level crossing.

At Burgh le Marsh, on the East Lincolnshire Railway near Skegness, the signal box on the A158 level crossing was kept open and staffed for several days after the line's complete closure in 1970. This was to ensure that one of the resident signalmen retired on their actual, forecast retirement date rather than having a few days at home at public expense.

• RMweb Gold

This anecdote, which appeared in the press at the time, relates to a closed railway level crossing.

At Burgh le Marsh, on the East Lincolnshire Railway near Skegness, the signal box on the A158 level crossing was kept open and staffed for several days after the line's complete closure in 1970. This was to ensure that one of the resident signalmen retired on their actual, forecast retirement date rather than having a few days at home at public expense.

What a fiddle - doing some poor old fellah out of his redundancy payment, that is really sneaky.  The opposite happened at Crofton back in the 1960s when it was converted to miniature red/green lights and the Crossing Keeper was made redundant - 6 months before his 65th birthday (and he used his redundancy money to buy the Crossing Keeper's cottage in which he lived, win win)

• RMweb Premium

Funny things, level crossings.

On one minesite I worked on, in the Pilbara region of WA, when the rail link was being put in, there was a directive to treat a crossing on one of the access roads as "live" several months before any track was laid.

I know it's probably good practice to get everyone used to stopping and looking but even so....

Perhaps they would rather not have a repeat of this?

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24299/rair20060015.pdf

Archived