Snaefell Mountain Railway car destroyed after runaway

Bon Accord

• RMweb Premium

I already mentioned this in wheeltappers ER's - the car (3) is destroyed completely.  It ran away unmanned down the 1 in 12, almost reached Bungalow before it derailed.  Sad, sad news.  We saw the remains on our way home from work.

I have just been looking on the Manx electrical railway website and they say that carriage No 3 has been in for a two year refurbishment from 2014, if that is the case was this its first day out of the works?

Please don't get me wrong as I am not speculation as if anything was wrong but who could have guess this would happen.

I do hope they rebuild her like they did to No 5.

I have just been looking on the Manx electrical railway website and they say that carriage No 3 has been in for a two year refurbishment from 2014, if that is the case was this its first day out of the works?

Please don't get me wrong as I am not speculation as if anything was wrong but who could have guess this would happen.

I do hope they rebuild her like they did to No 5.

I don't think it was the first day, but it's not long after its release to from the rebuild

• RMweb Premium

I'd be very very surprised if that car got rebuilt given the utter destruction from the photos.

A few years ago car number 5 was burnt out completely with nothing left but the frames which IIRC were distorted by the heat. They rebuilt what was virtually a brand new tramcar.

• RMweb Premium

At the end of the day the bogies aren't original anyway, they were new when the updated ex-tramway (was it Aachen? can't remember!) equipment was fitted.  The frame is likely very bent, and as mentioned above the body is nothing but kindling now.  Don't forget this wasn't a low speed derailment roll-over, but from high speed having run down a very steep gradient for about three quarters of a mile.

Any 'rebuild' will really be a new build, and there isn't any money here at the moment for anything like that unless it is an insurance job.  We can't even get the Infrastructure Minister to renew the horse tramway - although there was a great April Fool's joke on Manx Radio this morning, saying the whole prom was declared as an international heritage site and cars are banned, and they have to drive on the walkway, leaving the road to the trams.  I detect Alex Brindley's hand in that one.

At the end of the day the bogies aren't original anyway, they were new when the updated ex-tramway (was it Aachen? can't remember!) equipment was fitted.  The frame is likely very bent, and as mentioned above the body is nothing but kindling now.  Don't forget this wasn't a low speed derailment roll-over, but from high speed having run down a very steep gradient for about three quarters of a mile.

Any 'rebuild' will really be a new build, and there isn't any money here at the moment for anything like that unless it is an insurance job.  We can't even get the Infrastructure Minister to renew the horse tramway - although there was a great April Fool's joke on Manx Radio this morning, saying the whole prom was declared as an international heritage site and cars are banned, and they have to drive on the walkway, leaving the road to the trams.  I detect Alex Brindley's hand in that one.

Yes you sure do have problems, I watched a video about Douglas Railway station the other day and what is proposed, sadly everything is based on making money, I do hope they can get around to saving the clock tower just outside the station before it falls down, like the guy said and I think he was the heritage minister? they haven't spent any where near enough money on infrastructure as they should had done in the past few years, I am still convinced that rebuilding the Peel line would help matters as well. 

I wonder that the traction motors didn't burst with the speed it must have attained before derailing. If they had the locked wheels might have brought the car to a halt, albeit with some pretty big wheel flats.

• RMweb Gold

Grandad's hammer!  I'm intrigued that they think parts of the body can be saved - have you SEEN it?  I have.....

I've seen the photos - not a pretty sight! They were damn lucky quite frankly that no one was hurt.

Managed to copy the text of the announcement from the book of face for those of you who don't have access to it :

"Following last week's incident on the Snaefell Mountain Railway, it has been confirmed that the extensively damaged Car No.3 is to be rebuilt.

It is understood that sufficient parts of the Cars electrical systems and superstructure have survived to make reconstruction possible. Full details are yet to be confirmed however with major electrical repairs and bodywork construction undertaken on the fleet in recent years, including a new body for Car No.1, the rebuild of No.3 will no doubt be to a similar standard."

Grandads hammer/broom etc. spring to mind!

I am not surprised that they can rebuild her, if any of you have seen photos of the old Lynton and Barnstaple railway coaches that arrived in Essex all that time ago you would not have though any of it was usable again.

I have to add that with a skilled carpenter to do the job you will be none the wiser once she comes out of the shed. 

Archived