Β 

Southern Pacific Midland Branch, Louisiana.

Well, anyone who has seen the line up for this year's Trent Valley exhibition may have spotted that I will be attending with a new layout - the cat is out of the bag!

Β 

As such, I think now is the time for a build thread. :)

Β 

I prepared the benchwork for this layout before Christmas, so that when the time came I could press on with the track work straight away.

Β 

But before I start I suppose I ought to explain the concept.

Β 

The Southern Pacific Midland Branch ran from Abbeville to Mamou, Louisiana. My model will be of Abbeville in the 1970s, with spurs serving a few industries, though mainly Planters Rice mill.

Β 

I will provide a track plan as soon as I am able.

Hahaha, no I'm not.

Β 

Nick was hoping for a new layout, and I've been planning on a model of Abbeville for a while.

Β 

So much so I've already started on the model of Planters...

20150724_155230-1_zpsitwtmqfn.jpg

Β 

20150724_155244-1_zpsi0ir5drw.jpg

Β 

20150724_155315_001-1_zpsbzxwu423.jpg

Β 

Β 

Β 

Whilst digging out these photos, I found the trackplan I'd already made! :D

Β 

Capture_zps83en7grg.png

Β 

The benchwork is tapered in the middle to allow for enough room for a large enough model of Planters to be represented. Initially I was going to do it as a low relief structure, but that just wouldn't have done it any justice at all.

Progress for today. If you can call it that! :P

Β 

I've laid out the two scenic boards to mock up the track and figure out the dimensions for the structures I'm going to have to scratchbuild.

Β 

As you can see from the photographs, the layout is given over more to the scenery either side of the tracks, than the railroad itself.

Β 

Something tells me I'm going to need a lot of covered hoppers! :D

Β 

20160404_211938-1_zpsqeldhc18.jpg

Β 

20160404_212013-1_zpsg633m3mb.jpg

Β 

20160404_212018-1_zpslfmzwguv.jpg

Β 

20160404_212023-1_zps69menpjm.jpg

Progress for the last couple of days has seen a lineside structure known as Alexander's scratchbuilt from lite ply, card, and styrene.

Β 

Left to do here is to paint it, then apply signage and then put the windows and doors in place.

Β 

Next up is Jim's Tire Service and another building close by.

Β 

Enough waffling - here are the photos.

Β 

Β 

20160407_220905-1_zpssyvhkyph.jpg

Β 

20160407_220913-1_zpsn9xdunmf.jpg

Β 

20160407_220922-1_zps2gqjotmi.jpg

Β 

20160407_220929-1_zpscilqvs6p.jpg

Today I've given the layout room a massive tidy up due to a house inspection we've had today.

Β 

Whilst doing so I've mocked up one board of the layout with the structures and track roughly in place. As you can see, Alexander's Antiques will be forming a view block to the fiddle yard.

Β 

On the other side of the grade crossing will be the Abbeville Lumber Company building, thus creating a view block from both sides, as the layout is designed to be walked around and operated from front and back.

Β 

Lots to do, but plenty of time to do it. :D

Β 

20160409_100031-1_zps4vmnseag.jpg

• 1 month later...

Any progress mate? 1 month to go!

... I know it's close as I saw Mr Gilbert in B&Q last week, buying plywood :yes: :mosking:

Β 

Edit: him, not me, buying plywood. :( I was buying emulsion paint; for tis Decorating Season according to SWMBO :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

That's certainly an impressive structure there, I can't wait to see the scenery built up around it. I agree about you needing lots of covered hoppers, I almost purchased some N gauge ones by accident earlier as they popped up when looking for HO gauge items by scale. These particular ones were plastics hoppers though so not much use to you or that mill lol.

I've had to put this layout on hold/cancelled as I was involved in a car accident at the beginning of April, and was unexpectedly given the news that my car wouldn't be repaired.

Β 

So I've been forced to spend money on a new car instead.

Β 

I have, however, been working on my home layout, which I had already stockpiled materials for over the last year between exhibition projects.

Β 

I'll start a new thread as soon as I'm able. :)

Archived