Crossways - a model bus fleet

birch4

The summer break has meant that three vehicles have been completed and so as from today two minibuses and a van enter the fleet:

post-22613-0-81196400-1469026450_thumb.jpg

The first of these vehicles is a Ford Transit Connect van, registered NJ09 EWF. This will act as a maintenance vehicle at the newly opened Cirencester Depot, where operations are due to start towards the end of the summer.

In reality this is a repainted Oxford Diecast model.

post-22613-0-41564400-1469026504_thumb.jpg

Purchased almost a year ago from the local fire service was this Mercedes Vito, which has only been recently completed to enter service with the company and makes the second recent addition. It is allocated to Gloucster depot to replace Sprinter SB57 TMB as the Depot Hack/ staff transport vehicle and to allow the sprinter to be used on more private hire contracts.

In reality, this is a repainted Cararama diecast.

post-22613-0-22597300-1469026564_thumb.jpg

The third and final vehicle of the three is this Ford Transit minibus. Seating 14, it will be used for private hire duties from Gloucester Depot.

In reality, this is a conversion and repaint of the Oxford Diecast diet coke model, like the one found at <a href="http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1972_1_107794275.html"rel="nofollow">www.anticsonline.co.uk/1972_1_107794275.html</a>

Edited by birch1
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for yet more kind comments!

___________________________________________________________________________________

The summer rush has meant that another vehicle has been completed by the workshop staff:

post-22613-0-26577300-1469897323_thumb.jpg

This Van Hool T8, registered S179 GNW, has been purchased from a local independent via Eldorado Sales and Service. It will be used from September on a school bus route, linking the southern half of Gloucester (including Quedgeley and Tuffley) with Cirencester college.

It will be based overnight at Gloucester depot, whilst being parked at Cirencester Depot between school duties, unless it is otherwise needed for a short distance private hire duty.

The previous owner had made a number of modifications to the vehicle, including fitting WiFi access and increasing the air conditioning capacity. We decided that the WiFi would be kept and made available to any private hire customers, whilst not to the school children. It is the third vehicle and second coach in the fleet to have this capability.

To hide its age, it has been re registered GL05 BUS.

In reality, this is a repaint of a corgi diecast. Wheels and air con pod are from Mark Hughes models, whilst the mirrors and sun blinds come from Paragon Kits. The Van Hool logo and grille transfers came from Dave Jessop.

We are grateful to Eldorado Sales and Service for providing the vehicle and preparing it for repaint by our own workshops.

• Like 7

Strange this thread should crop up now as on Tuesday night I was tasked with heading to the Collectors' Centre in Harris Arcade to find some buses for the club layout. Only when I got to the shop the following lunchtime did I realise i had no idea which operators we wanted on the layout so I ended up buying an unmade Bedford OB kit which can be painted in the livery of "Hening Vale Transport" or "Readley Buses"!

Also in the shop, I picked up what is currently an open-top blue RT in Great Yarmouth colours for personal use, which is going to undergo some very severe modifications and a partial repaint as a single deck narrow gauge railcar!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You might find that it's best to keep the WiFi on during school/college runs too. One of the big group bus operators here in Wiltshire says that since their fleet has been fitted vandalism has significantly decreased as the students are distracted.  

That's a good looking repaint, very nicely done.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmmmmm!!!!!

Not legally!

No it's not legal but has been done on real buses before where one operator put a newer plate on, won't name who but they ain't around anymore.

Also you can have 2 buses running round with the same reg on different types! Different operator this time but a Honest mistake.

Hmmmmmmm!!!!!

Not legally!

Under normal circumstances that is true yep, but the reg GL05 BUS was never used in the main reg series due to some sort of technicality. However, it was available for purchase as a private reg and my local independent Bennett's have used it on various coaches of various ages over the years. Therefore, all perfectly legal!

Agreed, it's your 'railway,' so Rule One applies.  However, just so no-one reading this thread is under a misapprehension...

'The law is straightforward with number plate assignments / transfers. You may not assign a registration mark associated with a year that comes after the year of registration of your vehicle. In other words, you cannot make your vehicle appear younger than its true age.'

Edited by 'CHARD

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, it's your 'railway,' so Rule One applies.  However, just so no-one reading this thread is under a misapprehension...

'The law is straightforward with number plate assignments / transfers. You may not assign a registration mark associated with a year that comes after the year of registration of your vehicle. In other words, you cannot make your vehicle appear younger than its true age.'

I was just about to say the same thing - you'd need to give it a dateless or Northern Irish (random examples: BUS 123, GLS 5099) registration, you can't make a vehicle look newer than it really is.  You can put an older plate on a newer vehicle (eg I kept my personalised "04" plate when I bought a newer (08) car), but not the other way around, so could have A123 BUS for example. 

I fully accept and agree with what you are all saying, however there really is in reality some exception with this particular reg. I really can't remember what it is and now I wish I could. 

The GL05 part of the reg looks like Glos, which is slang for Gloucester, which is Crossways home town, and the home town of the independent which uses it in real life. The independent named above in real life until a few years ago (around 2012/13) used GL05 BUS on a 2003 merc Touro, when it was transferred to a 2013 merc Tourismo. As a result it has been used in this way before.

Edited by birch1

• RMweb Premium

I just googled it, and it is indeed displayed on a 2003 coach, which should not be possible - there are pictures of it displaying it in 2003 before the XX05 XXX series registrations were available (Mar 05 I think).  Sounds very iffy to me...  

• RMweb Premium

Oops, I was going to edit the post above but will add it as a separate post to save confusion - the pictures I was looking at were a 2013 ​not 2003 Tourismo (which I'm informed was only introduced in 2006 anyway!). 

I have just looked on Bus lists on the web, it shows two GL05 BUS's, one the Tourismo above and the other the older Touro. The Touro is in fact listed as new 03/2005.

Looks as though I got it wrong.

Sorry!

On the subject of the T8, I shall take a gulp of modellers license and keep it as GL05 BUS, I am in my own fictional world!

Edited by birch1

• RMweb Premium

How about G105 BUS ?

One of my local operators, Coachstyle (who also work into Cirencester), use C5__ BUS series registrations to represent "Coach Style __ Bus", while Faresaver has X31 BUS and X34 BUS which sometimes actually get used on their X31 and X34 routes along with BU51 TOY and YE52 BUS (plus probably others I can't now remember!).

It is possible that a 2003 built vehicle was first registered on a 2005 plate if it sat around for a while before being registered.  Back in the 1970's second hand imports would often get a new registration number but by the 90's this was carefully avoided.

Lots of examples in this thread on another forum http://autoshite.com/topic/5996-late-registration-madness/

The model looks great.

I just googled it, and it is indeed displayed on a 2003 coach, which should not be possible - there are pictures of it displaying it in 2003 before the XX05 XXX series registrations were available (Mar 05 I think).  Sounds very iffy to me...  

So it is actually registered G105BUS (from 1990) not GL05BUS?

Edit-

Hillside has made the same point.

Furthr edit-

G105BUS would appear to be unused at the moment.

Edited by royaloak

2013 coach,it was first registered on 26 November 2013.

GL05BUS was first allocated to a vehicle sometime between March and August 2005 so wasnt 'unused'.

G105BUS would appear to be available for purchase.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

2013 coach,it was first registered on 26 November 2013.

GL05BUS was first allocated to a vehicle sometime between March and August 2005 so wasnt 'unused'.

G105BUS would appear to be available for purchase.

Maybe someone should tell the company mentioned...!

• RMweb Premium

My fictional road fleet goes by the name of 'Red Line', I was fortunate to discover that the registration series 1-9999 RL were never issued. The only problem is that the fleet consists of only three vehicles at the moment and all are work in progress.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Surely a bigger problem would be if you had enough vehicles to use all of those registration marks...?

A lot of the vehicles will simply be some of the Oxford vans with the registrations changed and the name added to sides. I will also be using 'blocks' of numbers for certaian vehicles.

• 3 weeks later...

My fictional road fleet goes by the name of 'Red Line', I was fortunate to discover that the registration series 1-9999 RL were never issued. The only problem is that the fleet consists of only three vehicles at the moment and all are work in progress.

So you only have another 9996 models to build, repaint or convert, Phil.

:jester: