Atlas O sd40 , couldnt resist it.

fozzy280472

Hi all , being br blue through and through i know this is totally leftfield but i just could not resist it , ive always had a soft spot for sd40 s , so i bought this atlas 2 rail o gauge one from usa , what a beauty ..... is all i can say.tongue.gif

Put a few pictures on showing it next to my Heljan o 47blink.gif

If any one knows what are more prototypical couplers and if there is a way to motorise the q fans i would appreciate the advice .

Regards Paul.

post-7309-126789800961_thumb.jpg

post-7309-12678980725_thumb.jpg

post-7309-126789812729_thumb.jpg

post-7309-126789823879_thumb.jpg

post-7309-126789829643_thumb.jpg

post-7309-12678984166_thumb.jpg

post-7309-12678985215_thumb.jpg

Hi Paul

Re the SD couplers if you want to retain the atlas couplers you may be able to unscrew the coupling box (prise the lid off, there are 2 countersunk screws which you unscrew to remove the coupler box) and with a little work move them closer to the pilot face. I have done this successfully with Atlas GP35's. The trip pin can be cut off for a more prototypical look. If you prefer there are kadee couplings available, although you will need to do a little work to fit them. If you need detail parts I can recommend Des Plaines hobbies or P&D hobbies in the USA.

As for motorising the fans, that might be a little moe difficult because the motor for the rear bogie sits upright inside the long hood below the fans. Unless of course your model is an unpowered unit.

Hope this helps

Colin

Hi Colin, thanks for your info , i will be having a look at the couplers as you say , i suppose your right about the fans , it just seems a shame such a nicely detailed model doesnt have them,

as to your question , yes it is the motorised one , i believe they are quite a powerfull puller too .

cheers / regards Paul

p.s. Thanks mods for moving topic to correct category, sorry about that .

B) :blink: :rolleyes: Me Want!!!

The Atlas 'O' SD40 is one loco I do want, to make a change from all the four-axle locos I have.

of course, mine is going to have to be White and Red....

The fans are completely enclosed in housings too; you'd have to do a fair bit to power them.

you have a PM, Paul..

• 2 weeks later...

I like the look of that. I've been toying with the idea of US O scale. Do the Atlas locos run as well as the HO ones?

Hi Nick,

It certainly looks that way, see here;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/486-what-is-good-bad-in-us-outline-0-scale/page__p__2993__fromsearch__1&?do=findComment&comment=2993

Cheers,

John E.

Do the Atlas locos run as well as the HO ones?

Yep, certainly the 'new' range do, if not even better, since they have weight and heft that an HO model can only dream about... (though they're still nowhere near as heavy as Heljan O locos!!)

Yep, certainly the 'new' range do, if not even better, since they have weight and heft that an HO model can only dream about... (though they're still nowhere near as heavy as Heljan O locos!!)

I'll have to start saving my pennies and also have a good clear out to make room....

Nick

As well as Atlas there are the Gilamur kits by Mike Calvert. With the exchange rate not great at the moment, they offer a UK option to enter American O scale. I am presently progressing with the decalling of my SCL U18B, something a little different from the usual EMD's

Colin

post-637-126978173277_thumb.jpg

Nick

As well as Atlas there are the Gilamur kits by Mike Calvert. With the exchange rate not great at the moment, they offer a UK option to enter American O scale. I am presently progressing with the decalling of my SCL U18B, something a little different from the usual EMD's

Colin

Looks good, Colin.

Am I right in thinking that they are predominantly brass?

Thanks Nick, its all etched brass with some white metal fittings apart from the trucks which are weaver. The loco has weaver/ P&D hobbies chain drive to the rear truck only as it will not be used to pull heavy trains. It also has special slow speed gearing for switching. Mike Calvert who makes the kit also offers white metal and brass FB2 trucks for the loco. If I remember correctly the U18B cost £130, excluding trucks and running gear. Mike's kits are well designed and fit together well. The main parts such as the hood are pre folded. My loco has been upgraded with lost wax brass stanchions. If you enter O scale you might come across "the china drive" this is the power system used in Atlas and newer weaver locos where there is a motor for each truck. This is a compromise for the larger 3 rail market, the locos run OK and are improved using DCC. The chain drive is prefered by many modellers as it is better for switching, but like everything else its a matter of opinion and of course with the chain drive there is no motor in the cab.

Colin

• 3 months later...

Hi Jordan,

Looks like a good deal, can you post a photo of the finished loco when its done?

Colin

Certainly, though it might be a while as I've other things ahead in the queue, not least my Ex-Milw GP40 (from a Weaver GP38)...

SDC10558.jpg

This has since had an initial painting, but needs completing.

It'll be my first six-axle US loco, and will look a bit like this when it's painted;

http://www.rr-fallen...oo/soo787bk.jpg although I haven't decided on any particular loco, yet.

LOL - was just about to comment that the big white hood would look nice with some big black letters when I read your last paragraph... tongue.gif

Does it come with a non-dynamic hatch to swap out?

Does it come with a non-dynamic hatch to swap out?

As an Undecorated model it should do... The Seller did say in his listing it's only come out the box for the photo, and there's a bag of detail parts in there. I didn't press him on the Dynamics as he only listed Shipping to the USA and was good enough to allow me to bid from abroad.

Either way, the Soo did have some later SD40-2s with Dynamics, so the options are open... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well here she is, fresh out the box, and with my (complete)GP35 and (in progress)GP40...

SDC10946.jpg

SDC10943.jpg

SDC10945.jpg

Finally an overhead view; the GP35 in the middle is the shortest; the GP40 at top is a bit longer, and the SD40 at the bottom is the longest.

SDC10944.jpg

There wasn't a spare 'non-dynamics' hatch as it happens (although Atlas do list one) but making one with plasticard sheet won't be a problem.

Archived