Colision in Plymouth Nth Road.

• RMweb Gold

How a big a job is it to swap a BSI for a bar coupler?

When central trains had a couple of 156s smashed up each time a 153 was substituted for the damaged 156 vehicle the formations took the 156 number. This was odd as not all depots signed 153s and 153s also have more restrictive gauge clearance.

With regards to mixed types within a set I remember there been a bit of an uproar when a Leeds driver was done for speeding 90mph in a 158.... He claimed he didn't know the rear car of the unit was a 156!

I had a mate on central who was working a Norwich job which was a 3 car 170 ,so down the East coast at 100... When he changed ends at Ely there was a 156 attached to the rear, no one told him a Nottingham that it was on!

• RMweb Premium

Yes I know, in fact I think I may have posted that picture on the thread about the Knaresborough accident, but I thought it may have been of interest to people who hadn't read that one, in view of the discussion about hybrid units on this thread.

How a big a job is it to swap a BSI for a bar coupler?

Call it an hour to drop the gangway to coupler flexitors off, take off the earth lead, lift the floor plate in the gangway to lift the tail pin up and pull it out with a forklift. Assembly to quote Haynes is the opposite of disassembly.

The hard bit would be reinstating the micro switch wiring. If expect to have it swapped and coupled/tested comfortably within a ten hour shift with two technicians, allowing for GSM-r configuring and any arising issues plus a brake test.

Thinking further you may end up dropping the snow plough off one end of the 153 and may need to reinstate the receptacle since many have appeared back from works without one. The amount they are used vs the brake traction and brake negative system issues out weight the down time taken to fit a new one.

• RMweb Gold

I love the often quoted Haynes manual phrase, normally it's read when something has just exploded all over the floor! And to quote an unwritten law ' anything you don't fully understand is ALWAYS full of springs!'

Seems of with the sprinters that it's taken 30years to realise they didn't need the flexibility.

I think a 153 can only jumper multi from the number one 'big' end as the cable fouls the plough at the other. Well thats was CTs excuse when we moaned about driving from the dogbox for 3hrs!

• RMweb Gold

With regards to mixed types within a set I remember there been a bit of an uproar when a Leeds driver was done for speeding 90mph in a 158.... He claimed he didn't know the rear car of the unit was a 156!

I had a mate on central who was working a Norwich job which was a 3 car 170 ,so down the East coast at 100... When he changed ends at Ely there was a 156 attached to the rear, no one told him a Nottingham that it was on!

:offtopic: 310s were de-rated to 75mph on West Coast. Played havoc when someone did the original 85mph with a 304 on the back.

As a non train driver, the idea that you can be driving a train and not even know what type of unit may or may not be attached to the back seems a bit absurd. Presumably it's actually a very rare occurrence?

I know of one driver who forgot to check if the train was actually coupled to the loco; it wasn't, but he didn't notice until arriving at the work-site.

Happens with road vehicles as well; I've seen someone forget to engage the fifth-wheel coupling. The 'Suzies' snapped after they'd extended to about 30'.

• RMweb Gold

I know of one driver who forgot to check if the train was actually coupled to the loco; it wasn't, but he didn't notice until arriving at the work-site.

Happens with road vehicles as well; I've seen someone forget to engage the fifth-wheel coupling. The 'Suzies' snapped after they'd extended to about 30'.

Conversely I was on a train at Euston which still had the ETH jumpers connected to the incoming loco when it pulled out. Bit of a bang.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

While we might - in our own way - draw conclusions from the information in the RAIB interim report now is hardly the time to start presenting them in public as the investigation is still very much underway.  (And there are still quite a few pertinent questions, in respect of information not included or made clear in that report,  i would ask before I draw even tentative conclusions.)

Probably sensible to lock the thread at this point.

Archived