Colision in Plymouth Nth Road.

One passenger at the scene said people were 'thrown around'. Vicki Gardner tweeted a picture of the damaged trains and said:

"How can a train run in the back of another one just now at Plymouth? 

They do that on my Dover layout,when am not looking.

• RMweb Gold

That's a lot of damage to an HST nose for a slow speed collision, those Sprinter type units must be a lot tougher than they look to do damage like.  I wonder if anyone has still got a spare NST nose moulding in stock?

Hope nobody was seriously injured but you never can tell what might happen even in low speed collisions - especially as folk were no doubt up and about getting ready to detrain or lifting down suitcases from the racks etc.

• RMweb Gold

That certainly doesn't look good. I hope the injuries aren't severe and good and speedy recoveries are made.

I recall a similar incident at Newton Abbot in 1994, which was the subject of a formal Joint Inquiry, which I participated in. I'm sure there will be theories on how this happened, but the GWR and NR investigation team will no doubt get to the bottom of it. No doubt we'll also hear soon whether the RAIB are also going to hold their own investigation.

That's a lot of damage to an HST nose for a slow speed collision, those Sprinter type units must be a lot tougher than they look to do damage like.  I wonder if anyone has still got a spare NST nose moulding in stock?

I was thinking the same.

• RMweb Premium

The local BBC Spotlight news has just had a piece on it, apparently two people have gone too hospital on stretchers and the rest are walking wounded.

It was also mentioned that the HST was stationary and the unit ran into it.

You may be able too see it using iplayer.

• RMweb Gold

That's a lot of damage to an HST nose for a slow speed collision, those Sprinter type units must be a lot tougher than they look to do damage like. 

Mostly metal sprinter front vs mostly fibreglass HST nose. The strong bit of the HST is covered by it but it doesn't extend right to the end.

Hopefully no lasting damage to the passengers.

J

I left plymouth about 1 15-20 mins before this happened. The hst was already on platform 6 when we left on 5 towards cornwall and the unit came from cornwall

post-11749-0-81285800-1459710996_thumb.png

The initial impact would have been with the gangway of the 150/2, therefore concentrating the force of collision onto the middle part of the HST nose, which may be weaker than either side where the curve round to the side of the cab will add some strength. 

I recall a photo from soon after HST introduction (which may be one of the incidents referred to above) of the aftermath of a collision between an HST and a class 47, where the fibreglass HST nose was largely intact and the metal front of the 47 had a sort of HST-nose-shaped indentation.  However even though a 150 isn't to the latest crashworthiness standards it will have more structural strength than a diesel cab from the 1960s. 

Now what will the GWR do with an HST set on the fritz? Or a DMU, for that matter? One reads of severe stock shortage these days so a couple in one day must be a problem.

I used to do a lot of train spotting on Platform 6; less crowded than 7 and 8.

Brian.

Now what will the GWR do with an HST set on the fritz? Or a DMU, for that matter? One reads of severe stock shortage these days so a couple in one day must be a problem.

I used to do a lot of train spotting on Platform 6; less crowded than 7 and 8.

Brian.

Shouldn't need to take the full HST set out of service, although it will be checked over at Laira, unless any damage is found. The HST power car will probably be out for a few months depending on whether any structural damage has been caused and how repairable it is. Fortunately HST Cabs are designed to allow the GRP to take most of the impact with a supporting substructure behind designed to reduce collision impact damage - It looks like the GRP has taken most of the damage, so will require a new cab shell to be made up.

The 150 looks to have absorbed the majority of the damage through the corridor with the front panels taking the HST lights & Horns. It can be rebuilt - it's steel and GWRs 150s are having a lot of it replaced within their current overhauls - but again will depend on any further damage being found to the cab substructure.

GWR Currently have 3 Spare HST Power cars (overhauls dependent) so that side of the fleet wont be as stretched, however I don't think there's that many spare within the DMU Fleet at the moment. I wonder if this will have any impact on the releasing of units for overhauls or from the franchise though. Either way, I'm expecting another 153399 to be made up this summer - so GWR will at least be -1 car than 2x. And finally, I wish all involved well and hopefully a speedy recovery, I was travelling back from Devon at the time so I've only just found out about it, bit of a downer on a lot of peoples weekend.

Brian - there's spare power cars for the hst, I suspect either the c6 programme will be massaged to let the unit go away or they'll hire something in to cover, SWT and arriva have have hired out spare sets in the past

• RMweb Premium

Low speed collisions can create a lot of damage considering the mass involved. Is permissive working allowed in that platform?

Permissive working is indeed allowed on that platform.

The 150 units thta were on 2E68 and are booked to arrive behind the HST at 1534, the HST leaves on 1A91 at 1542 and the units continue on at 1550 to Exe StD.

• RMweb Gold

GWR had a SWT 158 on hire a week or two ago so that might be an option for a while.

A friend noted it in the siding at Exmouth Junction - so no doubt working to Barnstaple and/or Paignton. I'd have loved to have got a photo of it there!

John

GWR had a SWT 158 on hire a week or two ago so that might be an option for a while.

A friend noted it in the siding at Exmouth Junction - so no doubt working to Barnstaple and/or Paignton. I'd have loved to have got a photo of it there!

John

That SWT 158 was actually the usual weekly hire in normally found on the Golden Valley circuit, however it's diagram was amended to work the following on Good Friday.

2O66 0646 WSB - WEY2V88 0853 WEY - BRI

1C45 1319 BRI - EXD2T25 1746 EXC - PGN2M67 1852 PGN - BRI

I'm sure SWT Could however send another 158 along, they need to find something for them to do...

Archived