RMweb

Model rail May 2016

russ p

• RMweb Premium

I would like to say that Richard Foster's welcome notes were very good this month and I think he has given a very balanced view regarding the Bachmann's range announcement from March 1st. and I would urge as many RMweb members to read his comments. (enough said )

Really? As with BRM , Bachmann feature in editorial and in News with full details of range, and as with BRM not a single mention of the latest large price rise or indeed the cumulative effect of the previous two. As I said in the BRM thread look at the Bachmann announcement thread and what's the most talked about issue...........Prices.

It seems that anyone that questioning Bachmanns policies is a "Keyboard warrior". Actually they are your customers Richard , although I agree they are hardly represented in magazines.

A balanced view..................

As to the magazine. Great cover pic , but as said above, it's a shame the layout doesn't appear in the issue. The mag is of more interest than previous issues, but the layout of it reminds me of a messy teenagers bedroom , compared to the uncluttered look of BRM and RM.

I'd give pages 72 and 73 as example, pictures, all different sizes all over the place, one inset at slight angle, actually quite a small amount of narrative , interrupted by information box. Just too messy

• RMweb Premium

Indeed I would like to have seen a plan/drawing of the platform building as I would like to try and scratchbuild such an example if possible.

For anyone looking how to model a marine scene or airfield would probably find marine and military modelling magazines less useful.

As a hobby, model railways includes non railway items and most railway modellers are interested in building complete layouts not just the railway part. I again suggest looking at some of the classic model railway books from the past, and you will find info on non railway modelling. It is probably one of the things that makes the hobby so good, yet many outside the hobby probably think we just play with trains.

I suspect the comments here actually reflect the noisy minority who seem to only be interested in a narrow range of subjects, and might even reinforce the opinion many have of railway modellers, outside the hobby.

I seem to remember MRC used to have articles, and scale drawings of buses and road vehicles on a regular basis.

Always difficult to judge reaction then , as we did not have the internet and online forums.

Online forums might result in some interesting discussion, might give editors some ideas, possibly some feedback(but only from a few people), but it is actual sales of the magazine that is most important to the publishing company. If sales are continuing OK, then it must be producing what most customers want.

One of the better issues of MR for a good while in my opinion. Layouts were good, good news coverage and plenty of inspiration. My only criticisms have to be the lack of coverage on Bachmann's pricing and the article on building cassettes. Speaking personally, it's something I'm looking into doing but other ways of approaching this task would have been useful. the approach in the article suck me as a little simplistic

As a customer who has purchased every issue since Number One, I had almost given up with Model Rail which I think is getting worse by the month - as far as I was concerned the last issue's "Building History" (10 pages of photos of non railway related buildings - many thousands of such images easily seen online on architectural history sites) was the last straw.  Got the impression they are really struggling for content and using filler material.  Definitely losing it's way.

Went into my local newsagents last week to cancel my standing order and collected my last one.  When I got it home I was amazed!  A terrific issue!

Horses for courses I know, but I have still cancelled my regular order, and will only buy future issues after a quick browse only if I find them interesting enough.

One of the better issues of MR for a good while in my opinion. Layouts were good, good news coverage and plenty of inspiration. My only criticisms have to be the lack of coverage on Bachmann's pricing and the article on building cassettes. Speaking personally, it's something I'm looking into doing but other ways of approaching this task would have been useful. the approach in the article suck me as a little simplistic

Simplicity was the point of it. (CJL)

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the magazine because of the article about Corfe Castle in Atmospheric Stations. The Purbeck Model Railway Group at the first floor of the stables, Godlingston Manor, Washpond Lane, Swanage is building an 0 gauge model based on the Swanage Railway from Swanage to Wareham and this includes Corfe Castle Station, Sandy Hill Lane bridge and Corfe Viaduct. It is recognisable as a model of Corfe Castle station but we need to do a lot of work on it before it is finished. We found single track running with passing loops a bit boring so we have added a double track continuous run behind it. There is an error in the diagram on page 36 as the signal box should be on the Wareham side of the waiting room. There were two sidings behind the goods shed and we have added a passing loop that was removed in the 1920s for more interesting shunting movements. Perhaps Model Rail would like to include an article when we have finished the model railway in a couple of years time.

Archived