Solder paint

Redsrail

Evening all,

For a while now i have used solder paint on brass kits, with good results. The question.....answer maybe clear, but i don't have it.....can solder paste be used for wiring, droppers, point motors and other electrical joints ?

Thanks for any advice on this.

Terry.

IMO - Avoid it! Unless you're soldering SMD components to PCBs etc using special solder pastes. 

Use 60/40 lead content solder with a good quality soldering iron with a good tip for most soldering activities on the layout.   

• RMweb Premium

If you have excess solder paint that you wish to use up, the best use for it, is to go out & buy another brass kit and use it on that!

Enjoy building your new kit!

Thanks for the replies Brian & Kevin, you've answered my question and no solder paint to be used.

Thanks again.

Terry.

I've used that bottled stuff from Maplins, supposed to be for mending car rear window elements (in the days when they were on the glass, not in it) in lieu of wire, specifically when making street lights with leds or Guards carrying lamps.

Just attach the led to the post or person and 'paint' down to where your connecting wires are that lead back to the main circuit.

I wouldn't use it for real soldering jobs though.

Archived