Rochelle Illinois Webcam

"la-la-la I'm not listening la-la-la" :jester:

I've been resisting subscribing fully to Trains mag (signed up for newsletter)

This Thread isn't helping!! :O :nono: :D

You don't need a full subscription to see the webcam. You just have to register.

06:10 this morning, ooh, nice....  CSX run-through power on an ethanol train, check out the barrier cars - complete with roof walks!

Logged on to the site just in time to see that train go through today.

• Like 1

Finally, some second generation power....

post-238-0-25995200-1461764848_thumb.jpg

1907 and 1917 behind an SD70M flare, heading east at 08.05 local

>edit<

those numbers can't be correct.... according to this UP roster, 1917 is a GP60 and 1907 doesn't seem to exist, but would be in the SD40N range if it did...

these are definitely SD40Ns, but which ones?

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters
  • Like 1

I usually have the cam on in the background while I am working, and the sound turned down low.  Several mornings now I've been aware of something sneaking ast the cameras - no horns sounding, no throaty diesel engines sounds, just a bit of squeaking - and by the time I bring the cam window to the front, whatever it is has gone round the corner in the distance.

This morning I finally caught it!

post-238-0-32932800-1461843288_thumb.jpg

I wonder why it is not sounding for the crossings?  Everything else does, even through the night.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

You don't need a full subscription to see the webcam. You just have to register.

I have registered but still cannot seem to get into the webcam! Can anyone give me some idiot proof instructions as I seem to be being an idiot today!

• RMweb Premium

I have registered but still cannot seem to get into the webcam! Can anyone give me some idiot proof instructions as I seem to be being an idiot today!

Idiot mode off, now watching the webcam!

• Like 1

That is a rebuilt SW type switcher (SW7-8-9-1200 type). It may not be blowing for the crossings since it is probably not a "train" its a piece of "work equipment" and operating under rules for work equipment and not trains. The BN seems to use a lot of those Herzog tie unloaders. The cars are rebuilt doublestack well cars. There are rails welded to the top of the well sides and the crane runs on those rails back and forth on the train unloading new ties and picking up old ties.

That would make a challenging model, have one DCC address for the "engine" and then connect the rails on the cars to the track rails and use the DCC to run the crane on the train on a separate address.

Edited by dave1905

Traffic lulls - doncha just love 'em?  

When I'm actually out railfanning, I never know whether to leave and get some food or not... might miss something.  Then after three or four hours of nada, you find yourself bored and hungry!

My longest lull.... eight hours on the Stevens Pass... but I've had three and four ones on the Sunset and Tehachapi frequently.  Even the BNSF transcon has gone dead on me for an hour or two at times.

The worst feeling, setting off full of enthusiasm for a day on the Sunset, starting way out west at Gila Bend and then driving disconsolately all the way to Tucson and not seeing a single train for the whole 130 mile trip...

Things are much quieter than in my early years railfanning.  In 2003-6 you could barely move for trains on the sunset and the Tehachapi line.  Once the economy tanked in 2007-8, the trains dried up.  These days, much longer but many fewer trains seem to be the norm.  This is an interesting read.

Edited by Dr Gerbil-Fritters

• RMweb Premium

Having been watching the Rochelle BNSF and UP crossing for some time today I am now wondering if something like Realtime Trains exists on the BNSF and UP systems or for any of the USA?

Just registered as a non subscriber. Trains quickly sent me a email to choose password, password chosen & sent and bingo it works !!

A good webcam, just seen 2 container trains pass. One window open on the webcam and earphones on, listening to the birds and awaiting those superb Americandiesel horns. Kids think I'm mad !!!

Makes a change from the Pendolinos whizzing past my house, though we had a Black 5 northbound a bit earlier !!

Brit15