Google Shop View?

bennyboy

Someone mentioned Jacksons Model shop in Wigan and as I wasn't aware of it I thought that I'd check out it out. On their website they have a Google Map that shows their location, but when I clicked on the larger version and used Google Street View I was amazed to see that it actually allowed you to walk around the interior of the shop! Is this a new innovation and are there any other shops that have done this? I think it's a great idea as it allows you to see exactly what kind of products a shop stocks, although if I was the owner I'd be slightly concerned that it might give thieves a chance to see what is worth stealing.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.825952,-3.161148,3a,75y,292.82h,81.98t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sXa3wQNBfOFQAAAQvOZv1YQ!2e0!3e2!7i12500!8i6250?hl=en

Someone mentioned Jacksons Model shop in Wigan and as I wasn't aware of it I thought that I'd check out it out. On their website they have a Google Map that shows their location, but when I clicked on the larger version and used Google Street View I was amazed to see that it actually allowed you to walk around the interior of the shop! Is this a new innovation and are there any other shops that have done this? I think it's a great idea as it allows you to see exactly what kind of products a shop stocks, although if I was the owner I'd be slightly concerned that it might give thieves a chance to see what is worth stealing.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.825952,-3.161148,3a,75y,292.82h,81.98t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sXa3wQNBfOFQAAAQvOZv1YQ!2e0!3e2!7i12500!8i6250?hl=en

I imagine the shop owner would have given permission for this to be done . . . interesting view though.

I believe the shop owners are the ones who arrange for it to be done.

I'm not sure if it's something that they have to pay for or if Google absorb the cost as it also adds to their traffic I expect.

I know Chester Model Centre has this as well.

Unless it can climb stairs it would be no good for us.. ;-)

I've seen it used in a few shops now, a nice little bit of trivia!

For the Chester Model Centre they have gone upstairs as well, which is good as that's where all the model railway stuff is!

Forget the stairs, the rarely mentioned problem with daleks is that they are too wide to fit through a domestic doorway.

Dave

Tell me about it in my young student days I built one in an upstairs bed sit and had to almost destroy it to get it out when I moved it was never the same after that, it consumed vast quantities of plywood as well I seem to recall.

• RMweb Gold

Forget the stairs, the rarely mentioned problem with daleks is that they are too wide to fit through a domestic doorway.

Dave

Or the passenger doors of a Mk1 coach, even if you use a ramp (we've tried). You can get them through the brake van doors though, which may worry the guard a little...

• RMweb Gold

That's another timewaster from Google... I was interested that you can tour some of the bacroom workshops at DCC Supplies.

But I want to pick things up and buy them.  More realistically, how do you click through to the shop's website. That would be a great aid to impulse buying

Thanks

Dave

.....But I want to pick things up and buy them.  More realistically, how do you click through to the shop's website. That would be a great aid to impulse buying...

That's an interesting proposition for future internet shopping.

A virtual walk around looking at the products on display, clicking on any items (or whatever method will evolve beyond clicking) to have a better look, to find out the finer details of the product, etc, etc,  with the option to purchase, right there from the shop view.

I wonder how far off we are from that?

Archived