East Coast Mainline Blockade for Werrington Junction diveunder

• RMweb Premium

They are building an accommodation underpass under the Stamford lines both of which will sit to the west of the dive under according to the presentation we were given.

We were also led to believe that the syphon wasn't pumped but that isn't for drainage from under the new trackbed.

Edited by Richard E
Additional info/spelling
  • Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

When it's finished will the diveunder split the Stamford lines or will there be a flat junction at the southern end?

Plan here, you may have to download it to maginify the view it in its entirety as I don't think you can expand it in the RMweb viewer.

werr_jct_2_2.jpg.aed71b8c05002e03159ab725f2838840.jpg

That RMweb viewer is useless for large files, I'll repost as seperate files.

This is a test of a pdf file first.

werrington junction plans 2017 3.pdf

Edited by Donington Road
rm reduced a 3.7mb file down to 79k which is useless for proper viewing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Donington Road said:

Plan here, you may have to download it to maginify the view it in its entirety as I don't think you can expand it in the RMweb viewer.

werr_jct_2_2.jpg.aed71b8c05002e03159ab725f2838840.jpg

Thanks for that, definitely a split of the two Stamford lines

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

What will happen to the existing flat junction?

I can see a possible use for an up connection to the ECML up slow, but what about the rest?

From the plans it looms as if it's remaining in place. It will at least provide an alternative route if things fail.

Jamie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

What will happen to the existing flat junction?

I can see a possible use for an up connection to the ECML up slow, but what about the rest?

AFAIK it is staying as is.
The Up Slow is bi-directional.
The ladder crossing from Down Fast to Up Fast to Joint could in theory be removed as there is another ladder crossing further south (where the A47 crosses) giving access from the ECML to the Stamford lines, which in turn would give access to the new dive-under.

2019_-_0016.jpg.35057e9dad47f1a77103f8590890e10b.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

The existing junction will remain to take the passenger traffic to and from platforms 1 & 2. If it were to use to dive under it would either have to cross the ECML thus negating the idea of the dive under or start using platforms 6 & 7 and that is not, as yet, under consideration according to the presentation we received.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Richard E said:

The existing junction will remain to take the passenger traffic to and from platforms 1 & 2. If it were to use to dive under it would either have to cross the ECML thus negating the idea of the dive under or start using platforms 6 & 7 and that is not, as yet, under consideration according to the presentation we received.

You can't currently get access to platforms 6 & 7 from the ECML when travelling north, you can to 4 & 5

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, melmerby said:

You can't currently get access to platforms 6 & 7 from the ECML when travelling north, you can to 4 & 5

I know.

It doesn't matter for services starting from Peterborough and going out along the M&GN which are the ones I was referring to. I'm not aware of any passenger services that go that way but arrive in Peterborough from the south via the ECML.

• RMweb Premium

Why are people referring to the Joint Line or the M&GN?

The line that branches of the ECML at Werrington Jn is pure GN.

The M & GN Joint line came off the Midland line further south,  crossed both the Midland Line & The GN ECML via a flyover and is now long gone.

Part of Soke Parkway is close to the trackbed E of Posh.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=16&lat=52.5979&lon=-0.2565&layers=168&right=BingHyb

EDIT further on the A47 is on the trackbed.

A bit further on the remains of Wryde station:

https://goo.gl/maps/G5jTH1DJ9Ctz6jCR9

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

Why are people referring to the Joint Line or the M&GN?

Cus I'm old and remember how it was. :D

You will find that the line to Spalding is referred to as the Joint in official circles although technically it is ex Great Northern as far as Spalding.  From Splading onwards it was Great Northern & Great Eastern Joint Railway to Black Carr junction south of Doncaster.

Today that line is referred to as GNGE, the Joint, or even the Loop Line.

Plenty of GNGE mentions in this report from last year.

werrington-grade-separation-order-inspectors-report.pdf

Ah, the lovely M&GN, affectionally known as The Crab & Winkle :cry:

Oh I nearly forgot, these were Network Rails presentation panels, again GNGE

Werrington Grade Separation consultation exhibition panels.PDF

Edited by Donington Road
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Donington Road said:

Cus I'm old and remember how it was. :D

You will find that the line to Spalding is referred to as the Joint in official circles although technically it is ex Great Northern as far as Spalding.  From Splading onwards it was Great Northern & Great Eastern Joint Railway to Black Carr junction south of Doncaster.

5.2 MB · 0 downloads

Except that wasn't the main line.

Werrington Junction - Spalding - Boston - Lincoln all built as one by the GN, The other lines came later so history is being distorted.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 24/09/2019 at 15:30, 31A said:

Unusual, but I have been on electric trains which have used it.

On 24/09/2019 at 15:30, 31A said:

Unusual, but I have been on electric trains which have used it.

It was used by the Dollands Moor to Scunthorpe steel when it was 92 hauled, and also occasionally I've seen a 91 along there, very rarely though and I suspect only if there was some operational issue.

John.

P.S. I've added a shot on 30th June 2010 of 90024 & 92042 on the working, a rather unusual combination.

IMG_2820web.jpg

Edited by John Tomlinson
typo
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/09/2019 at 15:17, Donington Road said:

I would not have thought they would be electrifying the down Stamford line once it is slewed across until the works are complete and the Stamford lines are re-instated either side of the new cut for the dive under.  In my hundreds of visits I have never seen an electric service use that line, (which is used as the ECML down slow line as far as Helpston).

On 24/09/2019 at 15:45, pete_mcfarlane said:

The only time I've been on it in an electric train is when something else has failed on the down fast. The only passenger services on the slow lines on that bit of the ECML seem to be the Norwich - Liverpool services (although the last couple I times I used them, they used the fast lines). 

Although I've only occasionally used the Down Stamford, generally for some obstruction or engineering works, there is (or at least was) one regular electric service that does so.

When on the 18.00 KGX -Edinburgh (first stop York), it regularly overtakes the 17.48 KGX -Leeds (Calling Peterborough and Grantham) between Peterborough and Tallington.

On 25/09/2019 at 13:29, Donington Road said:

AFAIK it is staying as is.
The Up Slow is bi-directional.
The ladder crossing from Down Fast to Up Fast to Joint could in theory be removed as there is another ladder crossing further south (where the A47 crosses) giving access from the ECML to the Stamford lines, which in turn would give access to the new dive-under.

It would make more sense though to retain the crossover at Werrington which are 40 as seen in the photo, as well maintaining access to the joint if access via the dive-under was blocked.

Using the crossovers at New England North's only 15

Whatever the historical accuracy may be, the line is these days generally referred to operationally as the joint line.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

It was used by the Dollands Moor to Scunthorpe steel when it was 92 hauled, and also occasionally I've seen a 91 along there, very rarely though and I suspect only if there was some operational issue.

John.

P.S. I've added a shot on 30th June 2010 of 90024 & 92042 on the working, a rather unusual combination.

IMG_2820web.jpg

With  the 92 dead in the consist.