Portable baseboard support structures

Ok, I need a support structure for the 12' x 2' portable layout I am constructing. I want it independent of the baseboards. I want it waist height for working on and chest height for operation. I want it quick and simple to set-up, and foldable for portability and storage. What can I build to meet all these demanding criteria that won't cost me a lot of money? The more I played around with designs and priced up wood and other sundry items that would be needed, It started to become quite daunting - especially as my woodworking skills are average at best and each set of legs or trestles would have to be identical....and then there is the construction time to be factored in.

It was at this point I decided to see if there might be anything ready-made that I could utilise or adapt. I was prepared for the likelihood that I would have to compromise on some of my requirements. BUT, thanks to the internet, lo and behold, I found something reasonably priced which looks as though it will meet everything on my checklist without any requirement for modification. I couldn't believe it and thought I should share this with the forum just in case it might be of interest to anyone else.

83483.jpg

I bought three of these Draper Adjustable Metal Trestles (685 x 560 mm) for £24.80 each from Toolstation with free next-day delivery. Width when folded =135mm. Height: 810-1300mm. Max load: 150kg.

I will try and post some images of the trestles in position under the layout at lowest and highest positions together with a verdict on stability in a future post, but I was so chuffed with this find that I couldn't wait to share it!

Of course, this item may already be known to forum members; if not, then I hope that it will be of interest and use to someone.

• RMweb Gold

They are also on sale at Wickes for the same price.

I use 2 of these, erected up to the 2 second adjustment hole down from the top, which gives me a height of 685mm. This is the same height as the standard kitchen base units I`m utilising as a support for my layout, I `m now able to slide out sections of my baseboard to allow me to access the far side without any fear of it falling to the floor. The only downside I can see with using these for a portable layout is the there is no means of ensuring the baseboards are level on an uneven floor.

They are also on sale at Wickes for the same price.

I use 2 of these, erected up to the 2 second adjustment hole down from the top, which gives me a height of 685mm. This is the same height as the standard kitchen base units I`m utilising as a support for my layout, I `m now able to slide out sections of my baseboard to allow me to access the far side without any fear of it falling to the floor. The only downside I can see with using these for a portable layout is the there is no means of ensuring the baseboards are level on an uneven floor.

Good point about the uneven floors. I think that applies to any system that isn't fitted with adjustable feet. I think the secret will be to make sure I always have a box of different thickness pieces of scrap card or plywood to hand to level things up if needed. Crude and simple I know but in my experience with wobbly tables it works fine (old beer mats work particularly well!) :)

I concur with HLT 0109 about needing some means of ensuring no lateral movement occurs. I'm still considering options but am hoping that the rotating L-shaped stays on each end of the bar will do the job.

Hi ,

These are commonly used by a good few of us around the uk . They appear on offer at Aldi usually once a year for under 20 quid . I have also bought one of the wickes ones - they are all much the same just with a different name in them and a few pounds difference .

There is a little fold up lug on each side to save the layout slipping off ( someone asked ) the Max width of board using these is a little over two feet .

As far as uneven floors go - I have used mine over most of the scottish shows and everywhere is different . Never been a problem . They find their own level and floors rarely drop more than a few mm so never cause a problem .

Highly recommended and I have had many happy years use out of mine .

Mike b

• RMweb Gold

At East Beds our next layout support is designed around these.  I've come up with a scheme where the layout itself sits on long ply beams which sit on a seperate bar which is attached to the top of the trestle but is adjustable. As the layouts are 35' long we've found there are large discrepancies in exhibition hall floors so some form of adjustment is needed.

• RMweb Gold

Correction to my post 3

Height should read 865mm.

Also another benefit over a standard trestle is that the height can be altered from 810mm in set steps up to a maximum height of 1310mm, to suit your environment. I have wrapped a length of that non slip rubber material around the top bar to prevent the baseboard from accidentally slipping off, as my baseboard is too wide to use those end tabs.

In the past I've used the shorter and lighter plastic Stanley versions. They really are good providing the floor is fairly level. (nothing says you can't just use packing instead of faffing about with adjustable feet.

One thing I will stress is fix the baseboard to the trestle somehow. Don't rely on gravity and friction. Even if its just putting a couple of screws in the top of each trestle as locating pins, with matching holes on the underside of the baseboard. The Stanley ones I used had non-slip tops and a good whack from a cockwomble with a rucksack was still enough to dislodge the baseboard causing a lot of damage.

Hi ,

These are commonly used by a good few of us around the uk . They appear on offer at Aldi usually once a year for under 20 quid . I have also bought one of the wickes ones - they are all much the same just with a different name in them and a few pounds difference .

There is a little fold up lug on each side to save the layout slipping off ( someone asked ) the Max width of board using these is a little over two feet .

As far as uneven floors go - I have used mine over most of the scottish shows and everywhere is different . Never been a problem . They find their own level and floors rarely drop more than a few mm so never cause a problem .

Highly recommended and I have had many happy years use out of mine .

Mike b

This is all very encouraging regarding my purchase. Always nice to know someone has previous positive experience when you are trying something new.

Archived