L&Y Barton Wright Class 25 0-6-0 George Norton/LRM kit

• RMweb Premium

Forget brass boiler bands. Use magic tape by Scotch. If the loco is plain, paint body colour and apply before varnishing. If line line in the flat cut into strips and apply when lining. When varnished they will stay put.

That is a useful technique for many a kit but this particular one has a half etched groove for you to solder the boiler band strip into. I built one years ago and hated it as the strips supplied were narrower than the groove, leaving gaps to fill just like the photos! I think that I just flooded mine with solder and spent ages cleaning it up afterwards.

Nowadays, if faced with that sort of task, I would chuck the etched boiler away and get some brass tube and then do the boiler bands as you have suggested.

That is a useful technique for many a kit but this particular one has a half etched groove for you to solder the boiler band strip into. I built one years ago and hated it as the strips supplied were narrower than the groove, leaving gaps to fill just like the photos! I think that I just flooded mine with solder and spent ages cleaning it up afterwards.

Nowadays, if faced with that sort of task, I would chuck the etched boiler away and get some brass tube and then do the boiler bands as you have suggested.

Now when I get one of those I either roll it inside out or make a new one. I think they are even worse than half etched lines or areas for curves.

• 6 years later...

I am contemplating building one of these kits so thanks very much for sharing your experience and recovering the photos - very useful indeed.

May I be Mr Annoying and ask if there's been any progress since your last update? I speak as someone who last finished a project in about 2012 so have no grounds to complain if not!

Cheers 

Will

44 minutes ago, CWJ said:

I am contemplating building one of these kits so thanks very much for sharing your experience and recovering the photos - very useful indeed.

May I be Mr Annoying and ask if there's been any progress since your last update? I speak as someone who last finished a project in about 2012 so have no grounds to complain if not!

Cheers 

Will

No progress in the rolling stock dept, but some fitful progress in the signals dept. This loco is awaiting some upskilling in the paint shop. My unfinished layout was looking accusingly at me so I had to give it some attention.

• Like 1

On 20/04/2023 at 12:42, LNWR18901910 said:

Nice model though it certainly looks complicated to build. I made one from a Bachmann C Class years ago based on the preserved No. 957 on the Worth Valley Railway.

No more complicated than most 0-6-0 etched kits, I suggest. If you want complicated, look at the Dave Bradwell, Brassmasters and Finney kits amongst others.

I agree with t-b-g comments about etched boiler bands set into etched grooves in boilers. This rarely appears in newer kits nor quite a few older ones. The London Road Models LNWR Precedent (originally in Geo. Norton's Connoisseurs Choice range) I am building has a plain etched boiler. Likewise kits with boiler tubes.