RMweb

Bristol Model Railway Exhibition

LyttonCPR

• RMweb Gold

I restate you could not have tried very hard

Neither did you in either of your replies......

I restate you could not have tried very hard

Brian's very valid point is that he should not have needed to try, exhibition officials should have been doing the rounds, talking to exhibitors and traders, making them feel welcome, taking feedback both good and bad.

I've no doubt Brian would have come away much mollified had he thought someone had taken that effort.

Maybe a learning point for next year?

Been a few years since I lasted visited the show and was very impressed with my visit yesterday, superb layouts, lots of trade, plus didn't have to fight to the front to see any of the layouts  :jester: Was not expecting to get anything at the show, but came across a rake of new Dapol Limited Edition SDJR Coaches on the Footplate Stand!  :O Was not expecting that!  :yahoo:

Anyway as always I did a bit of filming and think I managed to get a bit of every layout in...

29th April - 1st May saw the 48th Annual Bristol Model Railway Exhibition, held at Thornbury Leisure Centre. This year saw the show expand by a third hall, featuring no less than 39 layout in a variety of gauges, plus Demo's, Societies and Trade Stands.
Layout featured (in order as seen);
Pempoul - 1/50 scale
St Philips - 00 gauge
Calstock’s Halton Quay - 0 - 16.5 scale
Bowlers Croft & Honywood Road - 00 gauge
Dyna Hyfryd - N gauge
Cadiford Water - 00 gauge
Wurst - HO scale
Maindee East - P4 scale
Knotts Landing - HO scale
Lytton CPR - N gauge
Kingsbury - 7mm fine scale
North Bridge - 00 gauge
Grizzly Woods Railroad - ‘On30’ Gauge
Bishop Street Yard - 00 gauge
Merrivale Road - 00 gauge
Ynysybwl - EM gauge
Andeer - HOm scale
Baynards - N gauge
Vopak Terminal - 00 guage
Ludlow - 00 gauge
Norton Vale - 00 gauge
LGB - G scale
North of England Line ‘Scarworth Junction’ - N gauge
RAF Willer - N gauge
Morella Light Railway - 009 scale
Newcastle by the Water - N gauge
Cheddar - 18.83 scale
Simington - P4 scale
Highburn Wharf - 24’ x 4’ 6” - 0 gauge
Peppa Pig - NA
Graig Wen - 0 gauge
The Brick - 00 gauge
Croydon North Street – 00 guage
Newchapel Junction - 0 gauge
Lough MPD - 0 gauge
Tonbridge West Yard - 00 gauge 
Aston Magna - SCALE 148
Abbey Wood - 0 gauge
Warton Road Preservation Society - Gauge 3
An all out superb exhibition, and will be sure to visit again! 
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ZP5JeaVxc

post-20663-0-38245300-1462199278_thumb.gif

As I said in my earlier post, I attended as a punter and did not enjoy the experience with the caterers. Never had a problem in my numerous previous visits, hence going straight there to feed my little girl. Not only was I greeted by a lack of interest but we were also invisible. Someone who I believe was an exhibitor pushed past us to buy a drink and biscuits despite the fact we were queueing. Unusually for me I was lost for words. I was appalled. So to then be offered a burger being kept warm put the tin hat on it. This set the tone for what turned out to be an overall negative visit for all of us.

If I return next year it will not be with my family though at this time I won't be going.

One of the key functions of an exhibition is to promote the hobby. For us at least the atmosphere was not family friendly.

Rob.

I said in my earlier post that I enjoyed the show, but have to agree with the points made by nhy581. I forgot the mention the catering for the public in the upstairs 'restaurant'. Last year at the show I treated myself to a pastie which appeared to made from a cardboard outer and was filled with what can only be described as sludge. This year, I heard the catering would be better, on offer was the choice of a pie, a pastie or one of 3 remaining jacket potatoes. I chose the pie. A lukewarm pie and do it yourself 'cup' of tea for the bargain price of #3.75. I;ll give it a miss next year,

I saw somewhere else in the thread that Trainwest is a preferred exhibition. I agree. Whilst Thornbury is bigger, and even bigger now, I feel the quality of layouts is best at Trainwest. However Thornbury is only 45 minutes away for me and is the nearest large show to my home., so I attend every year. 

As stated by Brian I heard numerous complaints by exhibitors that some were getting sandwiches only and some meals, even different members from the same club. It seems that the addition of the extra hall has meant the catering for the exhibitors, which must be a hughe task in itself, has slipped somewhat,. At least if the committee receives some feedback on this, then hopefully it can be resolved by next year's show.

I was there as an exhibitor. I haven't been to the Bristol show for some years because the quality had deteriorated but I thought this year's show contained some very good layouts and only one real shocker. I do agree with the above comments about the catering for exhibitors. We were on the short rations list, even though we were staying in the hotel and the provision was so inadequate that we had to resort to going to the nearby Tescos. We did try the leisure centre catering but this was very limited and ran out of sandwiches before Sunday lunchtime. Overall I think this was a good exhibition and I will definitely go again next year, as a visitor.

When I have attended the show as an exhibitor everybody has had to sign in at one the entrances on the car park side of the building. This point is always manned and therefore a request made there to speak to somebody in charge/the organiser could have been made there and, I am sure somebody would have been round to see you. 

An exhibitor of my acquaintance was the winner of two awards at the show, when sought out on Sunday, he was asked why he chose not to attend the Saturday evening dinner, in order to collect his two awards - his non-attendance was down to his not having been told he had won any award - or that there was a dinner being held on the Saturday evening; had he been aware, he would have attended.

Eventually, the one plaque was awarded on the Sunday, the other trophy appears to have been mislaid and was not presented (the winning of the second award may then have been an urban myth ?)..................

If you're talking about Vopak. then I can confirm that he was awarded 2 Awards, 1 of which was the DEMU trophy for best Diesel & Electric Modelling as decided by the 3 members of DEMU on the DEMU stand on Saturday.

I can also confirm that the Trophy has gone 'missing' since it was awarded last year, although last years recipient has confirmed that he left it at the Exhibition rather than taking it home. So where it's actually gone is a mystery.

I actually enjoy the Thornbury show, although I do have to agree that this years was probably the best I've been to for a while. Personally I treat this show as an opportunity to get round the Traders rather than the quality of the layouts.

regards

Neal

DEMU

Roadhsow Coordinator

If you're talking about Vopak. then I can confirm that he was awarded 2 Awards, 1 of which was the DEMU trophy for best Diesel & Electric Modelling as decided by the 3 members of DEMU on the DEMU stand on Saturday.

I can also confirm that the Trophy has gone 'missing' since it was awarded last year, although last years recipient has confirmed that he left it at the Exhibition rather than taking it home. So where it's actually gone is a mystery.

I actually enjoy the Thornbury show, although I do have to agree that this years was probably the best I've been to for a while. Personally I treat this show as an opportunity to get round the Traders rather than the quality of the layouts.

regards

Neal

DEMU

Roadhsow Coordinator

In relation to the missing 'trophy' -  yes, I was referring to "Vopak Terminal"

Any comments about the trophy having gone missing, should not be considered as a reflection on DEMU -  my comments are / were aimed at the organisation of the event.

And, I too enjoyed the show - but there is room for improvement.

When I have attended the show as an exhibitor everybody has had to sign in at one the entrances on the car park side of the building. This point is always manned and therefore a request made there to speak to somebody in charge/the organiser could have been made there and, I am sure somebody would have been round to see you. 

What's to stop that 'somebody' coming around during a three day show as a matter of course - NOT just because I or any other exhibitor may have some constructive criticisms.

Experience dictates it happens at most other shows.

When one considers that most shows are staged in order to bolster the funds / coffers of clubs, groups, societies and associations - and this is achieved by like minded modellers abandoning their families for a weekend, sometimes taking time off work, and travelling across the country; I would contend it is common courtesy for someone representing the organisers to circulate the exhibitors (and traders) in order to (a) thank them personally for attending, and ( B) soliciting any feedback; and NOT the duty of the exhibitors to seek out the organiser(s) or committee members.

Perhaps you and I orginate from different backgrounds; hence our differing viewpoint ?.

What's to stop that 'somebody' coming around during a three day show as a matter of course - NOT just because I or any other exhibitor may have some constructive criticisms.

Experience dictates it happens at most other shows.

When one considers that most shows are staged in order to bolster the funds / coffers of clubs, groups, societies and associations - and this is achieved by like minded modellers abandoning their families for a weekend, sometimes taking time off work, and travelling across the country; I would contend it is common courtesy for someone representing the organisers to circulate the exhibitors (and traders) in order to (a) thank them personally for attending, and ( B) soliciting any feedback; and NOT the duty of the exhibitors to seek out the organiser(s) or committee members.

Perhaps you and I orginate from different backgrounds; hence our differing viewpoint ?.

Which stand were you on as I spoke to someone from every stand at some point during the show. I appreciate that I tend to stick mostly to the trade as that's my specific area, but I do speak with layouts and the only ones I think I missed were association layouts. 

And what exactly does that mean ? Background has nothing to do with it common sense has

Which stand were you on as I spoke to someone from every stand at some point during the show. I appreciate that I tend to stick mostly to the trade as that's my specific area, but I do speak with layouts and the only ones I think I missed were association layouts. 

John,

I appreciate that the Exhibition Manager's job is a weekend of hard work but I think you or some other member of your team should visit all stands, whether they are members of the Association or a guest layout, for good & bad comments. 

It goes without saying at a show as large as Warley, delegation is the name of the game!  At the NEC last year either the Warley Club Chairman or a member of the club, visited all 80+ layouts for a brief chat & asking if we had any problems.  That show is organised like a military operation & runs like clockwork.

John,

I appreciate that the Exhibition Manager's job is a weekend of hard work but I think you or some other member of your team should visit all stands, whether they are members of the Association or a guest layout, for good & bad comments. 

It goes without saying at a show as large as Warley, delegation is the name of the game!  At the NEC last year either the Warley Club Chairman or a member of the club, visited all 80+ layouts for a brief chat & asking if we had any problems.  That show is organised like a military operation & runs like clockwork.

I'm not the exhibition manager, I'm the Trade liaison/director, I have checked and every single stand was visited by the person who booked it, all guest layouts were visited. 

We've had problems with our caterers and that will be discussed with them, we can only work with one caterer as they have the contract for the venue, I'm not a fan of on-line arguments (hence suggesting people can visit me) but I'm afraid I must dispute the suggestion that a layout wasn't spoken to during the entirety of the show. 

John,

Having had a trade stand at Warley for 4 years, no one ever came and all or to me, certainly not the trade guy.

I thought the show at STEAM in Swindon last September was more family-friendly; this was a bit more hardcore modeller, with some flexible standards of personal hygiene evident :biggrin_mini2:.  I liked Newchapel Junction best, mainly because of the breakneck speeds at which they were running those big models.  It was very well-attended on the Saturday and it's lucky that they have the field for parking.

I'm not the exhibition manager, I'm the Trade liaison/director, I have checked and every single stand was visited by the person who booked it, all guest layouts were visited. 

We've had problems with our caterers and that will be discussed with them, we can only work with one caterer as they have the contract for the venue, I'm not a fan of on-line arguments (hence suggesting people can visit me) but I'm afraid I must dispute the suggestion that a layout wasn't spoken to during the entirety of the show. 

As part of the organising committee & an exhibitor for more years than I care to admit to, I would suggest that unless someone possesses a limitless bladder, there will be many times during the course of a show when you will be absent from your exhibit, probably at the very moment your exhibit was visited by the appointed contact person.

29th April - 1st May saw the 48th Annual Bristol Model Railway Exhibition, held at Thornbury Leisure Centre. This year saw the show expand by a third hall, featuring no less than 39 layout in a variety of gauges, plus Demo's, Societies and Trade Stands. 

One of the major sponsors of the event was Bachmann Europe PLC, displaying a wide array of new Bachmann Branchline and Graham Farish models and prototypes on their Roadshow Stand. 

In this video we take a closer look at what was on display on the day.

Hope you enjoy!

post-20663-0-07258100-1462377022_thumb.gif

Just got back from a the Bristol show.

I thought it was excellent, but then I don't get to many exhibitions.

Pempoul was as stunning as you'd imagine. Tonbridge West Yard and Croydon North Street were great too. The modern welsh refinery/chemical plant was extremely impressive. Loads more too. Maindee East Shed with it's "full sensory experience" was great - the 1980's disco smoke machine creating an authentic steam shed atmosphere!

I thought the traders were good. Cheltenham Model Centre offering 3 new Farish coaches for £70 was pretty good - especially as they sold me 4 for £90 which worked out a bit cheaper than the "box shifters" with the added advantage of no postage. Some interesting stuff in BH Enterprises, C+L and Squires as ever. I found the majority of traders friendly and willing to round down for a couple of purchases as you'd expect at a show.

The cafe is run by the leisure centre, not the show (you can tell be the demographic of the staff - they're 16, not 76!) and is just about adequate, even by council leisure centre standards.

I'll be back again for my annual Friday afternoon out next year!

Cheers

David

Went to the show more as a punter but did help out with our clubs layout - good show (on the punter side of things, didn't have too much experience of the exhibitors side) and like others have said the extra hall made a difference.

Nice selection or layouts, all were very good and deserved to be there - espeically enjoyed Croyden North with the working station announcements however.

Will be visiting again next year I expect! :-)

I attended today and had heard of numerous complaints by exhibitors about their catering facility, as alluded to by Brian in post 8 above. It did seem there was a lack of cohesive organisation,

As a visitor though I feel the show was a good one. The extra hall , added in addition to the two halls uses in previous shows gave us all more layouts and traders , which is a big plus.

As I know the owner and operators of Volpak I was pleased to hear they win awards, so I will be impartial and state my favourite layout was Croydon Noryh Street, with it's station announcements and lighting in the side of coaching stock to indicate locked/opened doors. There were many fine layouts there and a whole host of traders to keep everyone happy.

I do feel the organisers should advertise it better next year, and also address the issues raised by exhibitors.

Hi all

Many thanks all for the kind words regarding my layout Croydon North Street.

The exhibition circuit is new to us and learning all the time! Reading these positive comments must mean we are doing something right!!

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Hi all

Many thanks all for the kind words regarding my layout Croydon North Street.

The exhibition circuit is new to us and learning all the time! Reading these positive comments must mean we are doing something right!!

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

As a rule we don't tend to book layouts from unsolicited emails, but yours was of such a quality that we just had to have it... I'd keep your diary clear for many more exhibition bookings... and of course we call dibs on your next layout :) 

As a rule we don't tend to book layouts from unsolicited emails, but yours was of such a quality that we just had to have it... I'd keep your diary clear for many more exhibition bookings... and of course we call dibs on your next layout :)

Hi John

Many thanks for the kind words and inviting us we really enjoyed this exhibition. We look forward to returning again with the new venture! we will keep in touch.

All the best

Darren NSE DAZ

Archived