StowRail 2018

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

Just a plug for this small but beautifully formed  show ( with added cake)

http://www.stowrail.org.uk/wordpress/

A very nice show iwith some very nice quality layouts - I believe Abbotswood Junction has been enticed to appear along with a few other gems (and cake)

I'll be there with my new  ( ok its a bit of a refurb of an old test track ) US switching layout/demo called appropriately "Twigg Avenue" - feel free to ask for a play! It's NCE DCC and pretty easy to use.

My photos are a bit old and were taken while I was getting the layout finished. I suppose I ought to start a thread....

The layout is mainly Boston & Maine in the 1950s but we are happy to run anything "US" - My brass CP MP15 AC and Bachmann NP Alco switcher will be certainly included in the boxes I take to the show..

post-1107-0-49404900-1462038505_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-22419200-1462038616_thumb.jpg

Chris

• RMweb Gold

Its twue , its twue

Abbotswood will be there...

Couldn't resist the cake offer!

Phil

Its a good show - you'll  definitely get a visit from the publicity officer, layout co-ordinator, catering manager, trade rep, demo organiser, venue manager, and Health and Safety Manager. 

• RMweb Gold

That sounds great ! Better make sure we don't miss that one visit then.... hee hee

And don't forget the purveyor of cake?

Phil

You mean the cake ladies....also rumoured to provide tea as well....

• RMweb Gold

Went to a Worcester loco Society meeting on Eric Lomax tonight

Excellent talk

Think I conned a few more punters to turn up on 22nd

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Went to a Worcester loco Society meeting on Eric Lomax tonight

Excellent talk

Think I conned a few more punters to turn up on 22nd

Phil

It won't be me after last year's troubles which beset Mrs Stationmaster (an exhibitor's tea spilt over her trousers, ruining same) but that apart it clashes this year with a variety of things closer to home - a small show at Didcot, open day at the Wycombe club premises, and Fawley Hill steam etc rally.  But hope it goes well for those who are there. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike

Remember hearing of Mrs S's woes last year - hope she has recovered

We will just have to eat the cake for you both! Enjoy whatever else you go to

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike

Remember hearing of Mrs S's woes last year - hope she has recovered

We will just have to eat the cake for you both! Enjoy whatever else you go to

Phil

She is certainly recovered - but very 'off' the idea of outings to model railway shows even in such nice spots as Stow.

My weekend is I think going to be straightforward as I have received a couple of commands invites to be at Wycombe on the Saturday which leaves Fawley for the Sunday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With a week to go I've been fettling Twigg Street and sorting out what I need to take - unlike most of my layouts  Twigg Street just needs plonking on a table and two wires plugged in making settting up a fairly simple process with an easy getaway guaranteed....post-1107-0-59546700-1463330982_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Layout all loaded and ready to go - early start from Bristol tomorrow.

Programme is available for download.

www.stowrail.org.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/programme_2016.pdf

Stowrail was up to it's usual standard, even with Phil's Abbotswood Jct there :P  :P

The cakes were superb, as always, and I managed to get some modelling done on the DEMU stand.

the thing with this show is that at the end the Catering Ladies try and 'force' us to eat cake, I've found it's best to starve yourself for a day or so before you go so that you've got room for the Bacon/Sausage butties at set-up, the magnificent homemade quiche for lunch and then the cake fest for the afternoon.

Cheers

Neal.

• RMweb Gold

As you say Neal - wonderful food, best at any show I have been to

Even on Saturday - set up day - when there is no show provision Huffkins across the road came up trumps with a Cotswold pastie and coffee eclair for Pierre and your truly... top nosh too.

As for the layouts ... Corris 1930 is so atmospheric, and Bishopmead impressive too - in fact everything I saw looked good. 

Our recreation of the infamous Abbotswood tractor incident caused some chuckles from those in the know - and much puzzlement from those who didnt until we explained. The reaction to the seagull sounds on our Howes class 27 sound files was a picture too - one chap was looking out of the windows to see where they were.

Not under huge visitor pressure either so able to spend some time with visitors including getting a few of the younger enthusiasts to have a go at driving - which seemed much appreciated.

All in all a great show - thanks for the invite Andrew

Phil

• RMweb Gold

And now some video of Abbotswood in action at Stow at

And thanks to Pierre who came up from Cardiff for the weekend - could not have done this show without him

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Andrew the show organiser tells us that there were 238 paying adults through the door - no charge for children - and a grand total of £1281 was raised for the show's charity - Action Medical Research.

The money raised is a record amount for the show and is a worthy result for all the hard work that went in to the organisation - and thanks again for inviting Abbotswood to be part of the fun Andrew 

Phil

Archived