Upgrade from eLink+Railmaster

Two years ago, I purchased the eLink+Railmaster combination to control my new DCC layout because I liked the idea of computer control. The layout is medium sized (operating up to 5/6 locos at a time), it includes a reverse loop (currently controlled by the Hornby reverse loop module), Hornby turntable (dcc fitted) and 30 points (12 currently Peco point motor fitted controlled by ESU accessory decoders).

I have now decided I want to change/upgrade from the eLink, mainly because of the consistent problems I get with the system. About every 5 minutes, I lose complete control over the system (whatever I try and do/click, it doesn't respond), I have to wait about 20 seconds and then it will work again. About half the time when a short circuit occurs and the system recognises it and stops the power,  the dialog box doesn't appear, meaning I can't restart the trains (I have to shut down and depower the system to get everything back working again). I regularly have trouble with the acessory decoders being set to very long pulse durations for no obvious reason.

I have therefore decided a change in control is necessary. I would like to be able to continue to use computer control, as it makes operation of the points very easy, and allows programs to be made. However, having used eLink+Railmaster, I can see that having a controller as well would be nice.

I am currently considering buying the NCE Powercab, as it seems to get good write ups, but I am open to other suggestions. Can anyone advise me what other things I would need to get to use a computer with the Powercab, what program(s) are available to use on the computer, and how the Powercab works with accessories? Many thanks for all replies!

To use the Power Cab with a computer you'll need a suitable USB interface (NCE has one). The only software I'm familiar with is JMRI (which is free), which requires some scripting knowledge for layout control. I haven't used it for that, so I can't give you any details, but the JMRI documentation is here: http://jmri.sourceforge.net/

To use the Power Cab with a computer you'll need a suitable USB interface (NCE has one). The only software I'm familiar with is JMRI (which is free), which requires some scripting knowledge for layout control. I haven't used it for that, so I can't give you any details, but the JMRI documentation is here: http://jmri.sourceforge.net/

So does this mean Railmaster is fairly unique as it is a ready to use software?

Matthew, have you up graded the E-link to the 4amp power supply, if you have not the reason for the cutting out is likely to be the 1amp power unit supplied. I have found this with O gauge locos with two motors, but can run 4 On16.5 locos without the unit cutting out. I have used it with N but as the locos are all very small current draw have no problems with any number in use, up to 6.

hope this helps

mike g

PS I also have a prodigy and roco Z21 units, I find the Z21 the best.

I am using the 4 amp power supply, the main problem is when everything just stops responding to any commands I give (at the same time the little green box at the top changes from dark to light green when it's not responding). I will have a look at both JMRI and Rocrail.

• 2 weeks later...

You should look at the Hornby's Railmaster forum Stickies and make sure you have carried out all the necessary .ini file amendments. There has been much discussion about eLink comms problems.

Another very good free software package is Rocrail, well supported across hardware and a very good forum. http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=rocpro-en

I have linked my Powercab to a laptop using the NCE USB adapter and running JMRI.  So far, I have only run it for testing purposes, as my layout is only half-built.  However, I found it very easy to run the Powercab using the laptop, and also configured my iPad to run trains through the Powercab on a test track, using the WiThrottleLite app through a WiFi connection.

No experience yet of running accessories on the Powercab or scripting within JMRI, but I will be trying both in due course.

You should look at the Hornby's Railmaster forum Stickies and make sure you have carried out all the necessary .ini file amendments. There has been much discussion about eLink comms problems.

Another very good free software package is Rocrail, well supported across hardware and a very good forum. http://wiki.rocrail.net/doku.php?id=rocpro-en

I am fairly sure I have made all the amendments, but I will check again! The short circuiting dialogue problem is intermittent, but the main problem is the loss of all control.

There's an article in the June issue of railway modeller on linking computers to dcc control. Not read in detail but skimmed and it looked useful

David

I will have a look for that, thanks.

I have linked my Powercab to a laptop using the NCE USB adapter and running JMRI.  So far, I have only run it for testing purposes, as my layout is only half-built.  However, I found it very easy to run the Powercab using the laptop, and also configured my iPad to run trains through the Powercab on a test track, using the WiThrottleLite app through a WiFi connection.

No experience yet of running accessories on the Powercab or scripting within JMRI, but I will be trying both in due course.

I am definitely considering getting a Powercab, it sounds like it would safe me a lot of hassle, but I think my money will be tied up with all the bargains for the next couple of months at least!!

I seem to remember that there are some limitations in using a PowerCab and the optional USB interface, with JMRI.

IIRC the problem is the NCE USB interface.

Someone else will be able to clarify what the current state of play is, but in the past I've seen the recommendation to bypass the USB interface and instead, upgrade the PowerCab by adding a PowerHouse Pro box and turning it into the proper (full) NCE system, with its own built-in computer interface.

[edit] Just found this on the JMRI web site.....

NCE USB Interface Limitations

The NCE USB Interface doesn't support all of the current JMRI features and functions.

Some of the restrictions are based on the type of system the USB Adapter is connected to.

The USB version 6.* can't get information from AIUs, so they can't be used to get feedback from the layout.

The USB 7.* version when connected to a system with the 1.65 or higher firmware (PowerCab, SB5, Twin) the AIU cards can be used, but with restricted cab numbers as in the system manual.

The turnout feedback mode MONITORING isn't available when using a USB, and the Clock functions found in tools are also not available.

The USB when connected to a Power Pro system doesn't support any type of loco programming, and when connected to a SB3 only operation mode (no program track) is available for loco programming.

Most functions and features that are not supported by the NCE USB Interface are disabled or grayed out in the JMRI program.

USB Adapter Limitation Summary

All systems:  

No Turnout MONITORING, No Clock functions.

SB3:  

No programming track support, operation mode only.

Power Pro:

No loco programming

AIU Support:

USB below 7.* version, no AIU support

USB version 7.* and above, system with version 1.65 and above firmware, AIU supported    

I seem to remember that there are some limitations in using a PowerCab and the optional USB interface, with JMRI.

IIRC the problem is the NCE USB interface.

Someone else will be able to clarify what the current state of play is, but in the past I've seen the recommendation to bypass the USB interface and instead, upgrade the PowerCab by adding a PowerHouse Pro box and turning it into the proper (full) NCE system, with its own built-in computer interface.

[edit] Just found this on the JMRI web site.....

Your information is correct.

However, for most PowerCab users, they won't get near the limitations :-

-  turnout monitoring is a rarely used feature; its for people who fit monitoring input switches on the tie bar of turnouts to return proof that the turnout actually moved(*).

-  clock refers to running a layout "fast clock" to keep time of day for timetabled sequences.  Again, rarely used in my experience.

The features used by 95% of users will all work - decoder programming, operating with a track plan on the screen, controlling consists (double heading), using smart-phone or tablet throttles, etc..

If using a SB3 booster, then there is a limitation in programming.  In practise SB3 users have to revert back to just PowerCab for programming track operations.  This is, I believe, hardware limit in the SB3.

If using a full PowerPro system, then don't use the NCE USB device, it doesn't work well.  Instead, use the serial connection on the PowerPro, and a generic USB-Serial device to connect to any computer lacking a serial port. 

(* I've used this feedback once, for a level crossing so that a panel shows when the gates have finished their nearly 1 minute long moving sequence ).

- Nigel

@Suzie

As the Elite works fine with Rocrail I tried the eLink but it only worked after a fashion. Every command seemed to be sent 5 times according to the Rocrail echo screen info. I asked on the forum and got the advice '..you shouldn't have bought Hornby - get your money back and buy real DCC kit'. Very useful - so I reverted to just using the Elite.

@MatthewC

Short circuit indication on Railmaster (RM) has also been the subject of much discussion on the Hornby RM forum and it is fixed to the best of my knowledge. One thing you have to do with RM is to periodically download the latest version as the sub-contractor looking after support for Hornby RM is always changing program detail and doesn't always show this as a new revision, nor does it call up an automatic update from within RM for minor program improvements. Slack configuration control in my opinion.

Currently RM is on Version 1.64 Rev 0. Download from the live link on the Hornby RM forum page. I do this every week as there are still several outstanding issues yet to be fixed.

I also have Railmaster and elink but I prefer using my NCE power cab with USB interface and BIg Bear DCC software by Moore Street TMD.

It is very much like railmaster but I find it easier to use. You can record movements and play back like in railmaster, the only draw back is you can't edit.

You can control your points just like railmaster even setting up routes.

There is a trial download which is free and allows the control of 2 locos or you can pay 19.95 for 7 locos, 44.95 for 27 locos or 69.95 for 101 locos.

I have the 7 loco pack.

I mainly use it to playback a recording of my DMU's while I use the NCE to control other locos and shunting at the same time.

I also use VNC so I can use my phone or tablet to control the locos but this does have a bit of a delay.

The software is also compatible with the Hornby Elite.

I struggle with understanding JMRI although I have only skipped through it.

I have no connection with the makers and feel they have missed an oppertunity as this could have been a big hit.

The only other drawback is there is no feedback so you can't use the NCE for recording you have to use the program

• 3 weeks later...

Hello folks. I have been using Railmaster and elink for about 12 months and I can relate to the original posters problems with RM as my setup did similar things but when using the latest updated version, it performs very well. I was considering changing to an NCE but then I upgraded to the RM Pro version , bought a nice wireless headset and now control the layout via voice control. I don't think I could go back to anything else.

All I can say is that it is definitely not a software issue (though it does have its little "eccentricities") and the programming functions work very well. I run it on a dedicated laptop with Windows 8,works perfectly fine.

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

If Big Bear DCC software is compatible (as they claim) with Command stations from Lenz, Elite, & other ExpressNet V3 stations, plus the NCE PowerCab, .........would Hornby Railmaster (designed for the Elite & Elink) , work with any of these named Command stations ??

I am thinking of changing my Hornby Elite to another make/model but I rather like Railmaster and would like to keep using it if possible.

Many thanks,

Pete..

Hi all,

...with Command stations from Lenz, Elite, & other ExpressNet V3 stations, plus the NCE PowerCab, .........would Hornby Railmaster (designed for the Elite & Elink) , work with any of these named Command stations ??

I am thinking of changing my Hornby Elite to another make/model but I rather like Railmaster and would like to keep using it if possible.

Many thanks,

Pete..

RM will only work with Hornby controllers, i.e. eLink, Elite (and Select if used as walkabout to an Elite). It will NOT work with any other controllers, but it will work with other make accessory decoders and/or signals.

Archived