Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Out and About on the preservation scene 2016/2017

Philip, are the driving wheels 'H' spoke similar to LNWR products?  The restored cab "backhead" differs quite a bit from the 1972 example in being sheet steel with handrail and knobs. Glad you had a good weekend. 

I'm not sure whether the driving wheel spokes are 'H' shape or 'T' shape, if they do have an inside "flange" (foot of the 'T') it will be narrower than the outside face (head of the 'T').  Presumably the 'T' shape would be easier to cast.

post-14569-0-05606300-1473764866.jpg

It does seem as though the cab backsheet has been completely replaced with the handrails now matching the handrails on the cab side.  The site that the loco last worked at under the NCB was closed in 1966, so when first steamed this year it would be 50 years since the loco was last in steam.

Still on wheels (sorry, blame coachmann for asking the question !) and still at Preston

post-14569-0-48047400-1473781691.jpg

'H' spoke wheels on LNWR 0-4-0ST No.1439

post-14569-0-40287800-1473781693.jpg

'H' spoke wheels on Andrew Barclay 1147 JOHN HOWE

These have a rather narrower front face than the wheels on Grant Ritchie 272.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Here are three shots from the Chasewater Industrial Locos gala last month, 3 Sept. I'm a bit delayed with posting photos.

Here is Peckett 'Teddy' giving it his all  with the brake vans

post-14654-0-27767100-1475351179_thumb.jpg

Finally this curious Brush cut-down loco which i expect originated from a South Wales steelworks

post-14654-0-90288600-1475351211_thumb.jpg

I also have detail shots of the Ruston 48DS which will go on the 'rivet-counters' thread in due course.

Dava

post-14654-0-14166900-1475351196_thumb.jpg

Finally this curious Brush cut-down loco which i expect originated from a South Wales steelworks

It's a Bagnall, not a Brush. I don't know if it was built like that but I have a feeling it has worked on some contract or other, on the London Underground.

It's a Bagnall, not a Brush. I don't know if it was built like that but I have a feeling it has worked on some contract or other, on the London Underground.

I went to the Chasewater railway back in the summer, and also wondered what it was. It must have moved recently, as the details I found were on the Foxfield's site:

http://foxfieldrailway.co.uk/locomotiveprofiles/myfanwy.php

Mafanwy is supposed to have a new full height cab over the winter so get your low height cab photos now. Well worth the effort as she is a great sounding loco as well.

I understand the move to Chasewater is to fit the original style cab and carry out some other remedial works. It is not a permanent move but rather shows the ongoing co-operation between the smaller railways in the UK. Indeed at the gala there were representatives from Foxfield, Chaswater, Blaenavon and Tanfield in evidence over the weekend.

A few photographs snapped on my iphone from the Foxfield Autumn 'Anything Goes' gala at the end of September.

post-8705-0-87719200-1476117947.jpg

Bagnall 0-6-0DM 'Wolstanton No3' stands on the passenger train having just arrived at Dilhorne Park whilst Hunslet 0-6-0ST 'Whiston' prepares to take a mineral train down to Foxfield Colliery

post-8705-0-28392500-1476117955.jpg

Haydock Foundry 0-6-0WT 'Bellerophon' brings the Knotty coaches into Caverswall Road.

post-8705-0-24655000-1476117963.jpg

Bagnall 0-4-0ST 'Kent Electric No.2' departs from Foxfield Colliery past Manning Wardle 'The Welshman' which is a long term project to return to steam.

post-8705-0-70880500-1476117969.jpg

Thomas Hill 0-4-0DH 111C shunts in the colliery yard at Foxfield.

• 6 months later...

I have altered the title to include 2017, so let's be seeing your industrial preservation photos this year too!

2017 kicked off, for me, with the Sentinel Gala, at Elsecar on the 26th of March.

Elescar-014.jpg

Elescar-003.jpg

Elescar-001.jpg

Elescar-009.jpg

And on Saturday just gone, the 22nd of April, I visited the Pontypool & Blaenavon Railway.

Valley-036.jpg

Valley-060.jpg

Valley-057.jpg

Slightly late on this, but spent a couple of days up at Beamish at the Great North Steam Fair.

The standard gauge colliery line had the Coffee Pot and Puffing Billy running.

Whilst slightly heretical for this page, the narrow gauge had Kerr Stuart's Diana and a Wren running on what is now quite an interesting triangular line.

There were also a myriad of steam and early internal combustion road vehicles around all adding to the atmosphere. Including two traction engines coupled to saw benches being served by the narrow gauge line.

Some photos on my Flickr page for anyone interested:

https://flickr.com/photos/51784336@N05/sets/72157682447727865

Cheers,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Enjoyed looking at the Beamish photos, as a point of interest  did the German soldiers cutting timber ware a yellow spot on their backs to mark them out as P.O.W.s ?

Best wishes

Guy

Pleasure. Yes, the German soldiers were supposed to be POWs hence the yellow spots, there were also some of the group dressed up as British soldiers to complete the scene. Very nicely done as the Kerry Tramway and forestry works employed German POWs during the Great War.

Thanks,

Andrew

Cousins seem together in steam for the first time yesterday at Foxfield. Bagnall 'Kent Electric No2' on the right with RSH 'Eustace Forth' on the left in steam, following a major overhaul, for only the second time since arriving at Foxfield five years ago.

Who can tell me why I refer to them as cousins?

post-8705-0-95494200-1494755669_thumb.jpg

Cousins seem together in steam for the first time yesterday at Foxfield. Bagnall 'Kent Electric No2' on the right with RSH 'Eustace Forth' on the left in steam, following a major overhaul, for only the second time since arriving at Foxfield five years ago.

Who can tell me why I refer to them as cousins?

Both were supplied new to the CEGB - at different ends of the country, but I don't suppose that is the answer.

Were they designed by the same bloke who moved from RSH to Bagnall ????

Both were supplied new to the CEGB - at different ends of the country, but I don't suppose that is the answer.

Were they designed by the same bloke who moved from RSH to Bagnall ????

Yes spot on. I'm trying to remember his name, will have to consult Messes Baker and Civil Bagnalls of Stafford bible later. But basically both designs came from the pen of the same Chief Draightsman.

Extensive boiler work including firebox out for cracks in the backplate flange to be welded, a D patch in the front barrel section and new palm stays along with all new crown and side stays when the box went back in. Mechanically there wasn't much to do and the front end seems exceptionally steam tight.

Nigel,

When you say 'crack welding' is that a question of prepping and filling with weld and is that on the stress side of the flange radius? All done at Foxfield?

Sorry for the battery of questions but I used to be involved in heavy engineering and it still interests me a lot.

Guy

Archived