North British Railway Branch line terminii in 7mm

nigelb

I am currently building a small rake (3) of 6 Wheel NBR coaches from  etches  supplied by Jamie92208 of this parish, in O guage,  no idea  what  caused  the switch from 2mm FS although grandborough still being  worked on slowly.

What i WILL need is a layout to  run them on . I am after a terminus with  minimal  size, 1 platform a couple of sidings  maybe a runaround loop  any ideas  I would prefer a real place . but ideas will be gratefully received

space wise 15 inches  wide and 6 foot long  and perhaps an idea as to a nice simple loco. this  will be a  slow time  project 

nigel

Certainly try the North British Railway Study Group. 

As a suggestion MacMerry, Lauder or Gifford instantly come to mind. 

Alternatively with "modellers licence" Lochty is another possibility as technically it was never graced with a passenger service? 

All covered in Oakwood publications. 

Downside is you'll need a D51? 

Hi,

Unfortunately I think that you might have trouble getting what you want in the space you mention.  Six foot radius points (and I doubt if 6 wheel coaches would manage anything tighter) are nearly 18 inches long so a loop long enough to round them is problematical.  Small country branch termini in real life were often quite spread out. The late CJ Freezer suggested a city location in his classic "Minories" design. A station in a cutting , approach through a tunnel and operated by tank locos. Even this was IIRC over 6ft long in 00.  You can save a bit of "point length" by using a sector plate fiddle yard which makes it look as if the points at one end are in the tunnel/under the overbridge. With this you might just get a long enough run round in 6ft by 15 inches. scenic area. With retaining wall at the back  you might get a narrow platform the run round and a siding within the 15in. An imaginary extra station in Leith perhaps?   As Doc Jacobs says you will need a period NBR loco the little Drummond 4-4-0T (D51)or its matching small 0-6-0T or a bit earlier Wheatley 0-6-0ST. The NB study group would be the place to get details. Unfortunately I don't think any of these are covered by kits so scratch building the only option.

best wishes,

Ian

MMMMM  I am now thinking   a nice plinth to display a train on might be the way forward . at least that will save the cost of a motor, gears, lots of insulating of bits and    a load of track.

better use of the space to  get my finger out and get grandbourgh  up and running.

If I remember correctly (bit North of my real interest) a whole of a NBRSG Journal was dedicated to the line. From further recollection independant, then CR then NBR. Buildings in early times clearly showed the dual ownership

Edited by DOCJACOB

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Unfortunately I think that you might have trouble getting what you want in the space you mention.  Six foot radius points (and I doubt if 6 wheel coaches would manage anything tighter) are nearly 18 inches long so a loop long enough to round them is problematical.  Small country branch termini in real life were often quite spread out. The late CJ Freezer suggested a city location in his classic "Minories" design. A station in a cutting , approach through a tunnel and operated by tank locos. Even this was IIRC over 6ft long in 00.  You can save a bit of "point length" by using a sector plate fiddle yard which makes it look as if the points at one end are in the tunnel/under the overbridge. With this you might just get a long enough run round in 6ft by 15 inches. scenic area. With retaining wall at the back  you might get a narrow platform the run round and a siding within the 15in. An imaginary extra station in Leith perhaps?   As Doc Jacobs says you will need a period NBR loco the little Drummond 4-4-0T (D51)or its matching small 0-6-0T or a bit earlier Wheatley 0-6-0ST. The NB study group would be the place to get details. Unfortunately I don't think any of these are covered by kits so scratch building the only option.

best wishes,

Ian

If you set the layout in the later NBR period (1920 ish) you have more options loco wise, including some available from kits. By the end of the period, what becomes the LNER C15 Atlantic tanks (NBR class M?) were in use on some of the smaller branches around Edinburgh, and a kit is available from Jim McGeowan at Connoisseur Models. Even the larger C16s were sometimes seen (62C models), and the J83's and J36's (both Connoisseur) were sometimes used on passenger trains all of which are available in kit form. The six wheel coaches lasted into the LNER period as well, so they are appropriate for the post first world war war period too. 

Some of the urban and suburban stations around Edinburgh and Glasgow were on very cramped sites. The disused stations website is a good source of inspiration.

Mark

Edited by Shez

Just heard from Peter Mullen at 62C models. If you check out his website he is planning to introduce a kit for a Holmes G7 0-4-4 T. This would be perfect motive power for the coaches.

They were originally based around Glasgow but had been moved around to other areas by the start of WW1

Like the plan for Bervie Sam, could you do something similar for me on a couple of other possibilities sometime? Like many country branches Bervie took up a surprisingly big site. St Cyrus on the same line has been done by a few people. As I said in the previous post I think the city and suburban branches in the central belt are a better proposition in O gauge. 

• 1 year later...

After a bit of looking I  have decided a compressed version of Lauder is possible if i  build it as a modified "L"  and build 4 1 meter modules it will fir in my flat 

stage one is Templot it and from now on its going to be on m blog

• Like 1

1200 laser sleepers just collected from a supplier in W London 91 pounds,  not sure if that's expensive but it was convenient for me to pick up. Ordered  Tuesday  collected  this morning, now just need to wait for C&L to deliver the chairs and answer my question about rail.

I have a cutting list for  the ply    I am now trying to decide the design for the legs  any suggestions   I  do  want to  make it foldupable 

• Like 1