I've had a few spare moments to add some details to the building I've been making for Tonfanau Camp station. The BR(W) enamel "Ladies Room" sign is a temporary installation until I find or make something more in keeping with the original GWR sign that adorned the prototype.  Unlike the prototype, my model will include the courtesy of an apostrophe. The lamp is made up from 0.6mm brass wire and parts from the Ratio 00 Swan Neck Lamp pack. I think it looks the part and I used the same method for the door lamp on Cwm Bach Signal Box. Fire buckets always add a welcome splash of colour.

The poster shows Bristol. I pondered for a while what destination might be attractive to the military passengers going on leave, but in the end settled for the city of my birth and youth. Incidentally, I was regularly picked up by my Army comrades for using nautical terms such as "going ashore" instead of "walking out" and calling my bunk a cabin. That was a legacy of my late father's service in the Royal Marines, including two years of action on HMS Belfast during the Korean War, and his use of Navy slang at home. When I joined 1st Battalion The Staffordshire Regiment (The Prince of Wales's) on graduation from Sandhurst I had to learn new vocabularies in order to understand the soldiers from the Black Country and The Potteries. My favourite was "conner irons" meaning cutlery and "conner" meaning food. The etymology of "conner" as explained to me by a heavily accented Stokey lance-corporal was elegantly simple, "The cooks conner cook it and we conner eat it".

Weathering next.

post-13142-0-02319800-1465838056_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-77150300-1465838063_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-09729400-1465838073_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Chris you say you are modelling the back scene as grey, wet and murky ...... you really are narrowing down you timescale, as that only gives you about 348 days of the year to model this project on  :biggrin_mini:

I will be keeping a keen interest on this layout.

Best regards

Craig.

• Like 1

Chris you say you are modelling the back scene as grey, wet and murky ...... you really are narrowing down you timescale, as that only gives you about 348 days of the year to model this project on  :biggrin_mini:

I will be keeping a keen interest on this layout.

Best regards

Craig.

I know Craig, but it probably explains why Owain Glyndwr was so grumpy.

I know Craig, but it probably explains why Owain Glyndwr was so grumpy.

I think he was grumpy because he may have lost his revolution against the English in the last minutes of the war .............. something similar along the lines of our National Footy team ....  :cry:

Edited by muddys-blues

Tonfanau Camp station's Ladies' Room has received some weathering to simulate the ravages of the local weather. A simple wash with diluted Humbrol enamel Matt 32 Tank Grey brings out the woodwork. Some gentle dry-brushing with the same paint simulates water streaks and a gentle application of MIG European Dust weathering powder brings out the doors. The key is not to overdo it.

post-13142-0-08483900-1466592600_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

May I challenge the idea that it was always raining there? It always struck me travelling across mid-Wales from the east that you could get miserable grey conditions inland, but the last few miles to the coast could brighten up, with blue skies across Cardigan bay. I camped at Fairbourne for two summers with the scouts around 1950, and we were up in a farm in the foothills overlooking the coastal plain. There was a grandstand view of the railway, with the trains more often than not being headed by a Dukedog, the movement of the.side rods being most noticeable. An aircraft would come south towing a target banner, and later you could hear the rattle of gunfire before it came back, although I couldn't say what type the aircraft was. The other thing back then was that the length of the beach had "dragons teeth", the spaced out chunks of concrete acting as invasion defences in ww2 (could you see the Wehrmacht sailing all that way? somebody did) if there was an open beach at Tonfanau they'd probably be seen there as well, but all were removed later on. I do admire your construction techniques, and the idea of a scatter of miscellaneous buildings on the platform is good.

• Like 3

May I challenge the idea that it was always raining there? It always struck me travelling across mid-Wales from the east that you could get miserable grey conditions inland, but the last few miles to the coast could brighten up, with blue skies across Cardigan bay. I camped at Fairbourne for two summers with the scouts around 1950, and we were up in a farm in the foothills overlooking the coastal plain. There was a grandstand view of the railway, with the trains more often than not being headed by a Dukedog, the movement of the.side rods being most noticeable. An aircraft would come south towing a target banner, and later you could hear the rattle of gunfire before it came back, although I couldn't say what type the aircraft was. The other thing back then was that the length of the beach had "dragons teeth", the spaced out chunks of concrete acting as invasion defences in ww2 (could you see the Wehrmacht sailing all that way? somebody did) if there was an open beach at Tonfanau they'd probably be seen there as well, but all were removed later on. I do admire your construction techniques, and the idea of a scatter of miscellaneous buildings on the platform is good.

What a lovely post. The collection of assorted buildings on the real station was one of the principal attractions for this project.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Evening Chris,

On Thursday afternoon I arrived in Tywywn just before the heavens opened for an evening of monsoon like weather, a short divertion led me to Tonfanau where a selection of photos were taken on my proper camera and a couple of panoramic photos with my phone. Thought the weather was suitably gloomy for what you wanted.

If you care to PM me with your email address, will send them on.

In the meantime, here's the seaward side view from standing on the bench on Tonfanau platform.

post-11098-0-51495500-1467664301_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Andrew

• Like 7

Great sky, Andrew.

Thanks John, the heavens opened as I was getting back in the car and proceeded to rain heavily for about eight hours!

Took a selection of photos which I will leave up to Chris to decide whether he wants to put them on this thread or not once he has them.

Cheers,

Andrew

Evening Chris,

On Thursday afternoon I arrived in Tywywn just before the heavens opened for an evening of monsoon like weather, a short divertion led me to Tonfanau where a selection of photos were taken on my proper camera and a couple of panoramic photos with my phone. Thought the weather was suitably gloomy for what you wanted.

If you care to PM me with your email address, will send them on.

In the meantime, here's the seaward side view from standing on the bench on Tonfanau platform.

attachicon.gifIMG_3270.JPG

Cheers,

Andrew

Looks ideal for my purposes Andrew. PM sent.

Chris

Impressive progress already, Chris.

As my ignorance of the prototype is almost boundless, I am curious: apart from the Dukedog mentioned by an earlier poster in days long past, and the modded Fowler for the MOD purposes, what locos are suitable for the line? Will you have to build more, or does your existing roster cover the necessaries?

Lindsay.

Impressive progress already, Chris.

As my ignorance of the prototype is almost boundless, I am curious: apart from the Dukedog mentioned by an earlier poster in days long past, and the modded Fowler for the MOD purposes, what locos are suitable for the line? Will you have to build more, or does your existing roster cover the necessaries?

Lindsay.

Lindsay,

I have a Cambrian 0-6-0 that lasted into the 1950s, an Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 and a GWR 45XX 2-6-2T, all of which are suitable for this project and enough to get me going. Other suitable types are the GWR Manor 4-6-0 (sadly, my Ixion model is rather too small), GWR Mogul and 2251.

Regards,

Chris

• Like 1

Tonfanau (pronouned ton-van-eye)is the inspiration for my next 0 gauge layout. It is a small station on the Cambrian Coast line between Towyn and Llwngwril. The line bisected Tonfanau Camp, an army base opened in the late 1930s for training anti-aircraft gunners of The Royal Artillery during the Second World War and afterwards. The guns were mounted on emplacements just behind the beach and fired at targets towed by aircraft bravely flown from RAF Llannbedr a few miles up the coast to the north of Barmouth. Anti-aircraft gunnery training ended in 1957 and from 1959 the camp was used by the All Arms Junior Leaders' Regiment (AAJLR) until closure in 1966. In 1972 it was briefly reopened to house Uganda-Asian refugees fleeing Idi Amin's regime. Today barely a handful of buildings survive and the site is used for motorcycle racing.

Tonfanau station is a single platform station with no passing loop and despite closure of the army camp remains open today. The station acquired a motley collection of small buildings over the years as can be seen in one of the photos. A prefabricated concrete waiting shelter and lavatory was built for military passengers (no customers in those days) located at the north end of the platform well away from the civvies' facilities, especially the "Ladies' Room".

My outline plan is for a through station with traversers at each end. The layout will be 20' long split across five boards of 5' length and 22" width. The space in my garage is only 15' long so the southern board will only be mounted and operated during clement weather. At other times it will be packed away and the layout operated as a terminus fed by the northern traveser. I intend to add a passing loop and make Tonfanau Camp a block post. The army's goods sidings and line to Tonfanau quarry will run off the loop rather than directly off the main-line to the south station on the prototype. The plan can be seen in the accompanying and very rough sketch, which is expected to change a lot. Straight lines parallel to the baseboard are better avoided in the interests of appearance, but the real line is dead straight through Tonfanau. I am undecided whether to place a small service station or cafe by the level crossing. I want to try to include some stunted, but wind-sculpted trees to try to convey the atmosphere of the exposed coastal location.

Military structures will feature prominently. The warehouses will be based closely on the surviving pair at Tonfanau Camp. Other military buildings will be inspired by those found on training camps such as Westdown, Tilshead, Sennybridge, Penally, Otterburn, Warcop and other remote locations that I frequented during my 15 years of service in the British Army. The period will be the mid-1950s to 1960s.

Control will initially be DC as none of the intended locomotives are fitted with DCC decoders. Progress is unlikely to be fast as I have to build new baseboards and track, both very boring tasks. I also need to build three new signals, repaint my Cambrian 0-6-0 in BR black and convert my Ivatt 2Mt from a Scottish to Western region version.

And the title? It reflects the National Service time period of the layout and the climatic character of the area.

Stand by.

Major (Retired) Chris Klein

Hi Chris,

I have had some I.T issues on here and lost a lot of the links/thread alerts.

Looking forward to reading through this one when time permits.

I love Wales - home of my fathers.

Keep up the good work.

Kindest,

CME

• Like 2

Hi Chris,

I was rereading an article (kept the whole mag as it was a fav. of mine) of your first dabblings in 7mm and your musings as to whether or not you would abandon your 'OO', you were also debating loco weathering in 7mm (RM circa 1999).

I started in 7mm not long after that too.

IIRC I wrote to RM, not long after your article appeared, to ask if they would forward my letter to you with ref. to your kit built Peco track (RM are usually very good at such things, when, on the odd occasion, I have asked). IIRC Peco (as opposed to RM) refused, when I asked why (I was also put in touch with the technical advice bureau - which I have always found helpful), the woman at Peco mentioned, something along the lines of; - even though we sell the parts to self-build track - there has to be some mystery involved in track building etc and you need to work it out for yourself (in précis and not verbatim). Charming! It was as if selling their parts for track building would take away from their RTL range - weird madness!? (especially as a kit built switch or crossing would easily coexist with RTL flexi-track and/or RTL 'Points'). At other times Peco have bent over backwards to help myself and others.....

Anyway I was still very inspired by that article and I am continually inspired by your work.

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Progress on Tonfanau Camp has been minimal over the past month or so. We have just spent almost three weeks on holiday on the Cote d'Azur and travelling through France and Italy. We were in Nice on 27th June  celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary at the Marche des Fleurs surrounded by England and Iceland football supporters. Tickets a plenty were available for the match, but we declined as I felt they would be wasted money given the England football team's woeful record of losing to anyone and everyone.

Anyway, back to Tonfanau Camp. I have built the first point for the layout from C&L components and I have commissioned the construction of some others in orde toexpedite progress. The photos show the basic technique with scrap brass or nickelsilver strip from loco kits holding the common crossing together and making a robust feture. One of the timbers with the slide chairs has moved slightly and I do find it almost impossible to get them to stay in place despite the judicous application of superglue. The photos also show my experimentation with underlay. This is more to provide a flexible and resilient track base rather than deadening sound, which is not really a problem given the low speeds at which the trains move on my layouts.  The product is a foam underlay for wooden floors. It is 3mm thick and sold by B&Q in 10m2 packs. I would be interested to hear if others have used this material. Finally, a shot of my rather dusty WD centre-cab Fowler "MONTY" sitting on the point. The nameplates are due to arrive imminently from Narrow Planet.

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-27569400-1468827613_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-90592300-1468827614_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-86965600-1468827616_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-93556700-1468827618_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-56705600-1468827621_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-38065300-1468827634_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Some goodies arrived from Narrow Planet today. The signal box nameplate is self-explanatory. The "MONTY" nameplates and Railway Executive registration plates are for my WD Fowler centre-cab loco that will serve Tonfanau Camp. The smoke box  door numberplate will be fitted to my ex-Cambrian 0-6-0 after it has been repainted from GWR green to BR black. Once again, another batch of first class items from Narrow Planet.

post-13142-0-98247400-1469108013_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

I have made a start on the booking office building for Tonfanau Camp. It is based on the prototype concrete structure that stood at the real Tonfanau until it was demolished and replaced with a bus shelter. The building was built from pre-fabricated cast concrete panels. I am using plasticard sheet and the build is essentially a simple box with a gently sloping roof supported by concrete beams. The roof appears to be cast concrete panels, but could be timber. The photos show the beams in place atop a false roof. I will add the proper roof shortly. A prototype photograph of Tonfanau is attached for comparison, but note that I have shortened the length of the building by one panel in order to keep it in proportion with the rest of the layout. Despite this, I am confident that it will capture the essential banality and ugliness of the original building. 

Regards,

Chris

post-13142-0-63605500-1469553058_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-76165900-1469553060_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-56715400-1469553062_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-61730400-1469553090.jpg

• Like 11

What a curious design. I wonder why they chose to lap the canopy over the main roof, and even more, why they chose to put the join a couple of feet back into the main building.

I could imagine that the roof was also precast concrete slabs, it may be that there was a convenient (?) maximum size that could be lifted or transported, and they simply overlapped (perhaps sealed by bitumen) wherever they overlapped. But that then makes me wonder how they made the beams, flat topped, in which case they would have needed some kind of filler piece to make up the thickness of the rear slab, or stepped like your model, in which case they had to be made to a given size, and that brings me back to the initial questions.

Banal & ugly, but interesting...

Best

Simon

• Like 1

More work on the bookng office for Tonfanau Camp station shown here temporarily laid on Cwm Bach. Evergreen plasticard strip has been applied to simulate the panelling. A drive-by shooting with an aeresol of Halfords grey primer paint pulls it together and provides a good base for the top coat. Windows next. Concurrently, I have been repainting my ex-Cambrian 15 Class 0-6-0 loco in BR black. All it needs to complete the ex-work appearance is a BR shedcode plate for Oswestry 89A; photos to follow.

post-13142-0-56693000-1469725053_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-85758900-1469725055_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-01749700-1469725058_thumb.jpg

post-13142-0-35189000-1469725060_thumb.jpg

• Like 12