The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

What was this plane flying into Luton?

edcayton

• RMweb Premium

It's an IL-76TD, a rare beast. Also an AN12 is in too.

The IL76TD is a high wing 4 jet aircraft, the AN12 is a smallish 4 prop high wing.

The USAF do not have a prop replacement for the C130 Hercules, as yet.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

The IL76TD is a high wing 4 jet aircraft, the AN12 is a smallish 4 prop high wing.

The USAF do not have a prop replacement for the C130 Hercules, as yet.

Rob

So, a few weeks ago when this plane was seen over the Idle Valley Nature Reserve here in 36E, the bloke who insisted that this aircraft was an American Forces Aircraft, when I was suggesting to him that it was a Russian Freighter, was wrong......hoorah, I was correct for a change!

Philth.

• RMweb Premium

So, a few weeks ago when this plane was seen over the Idle Valley Nature Reserve here in 36E, the bloke who insisted that this aircraft was an American Forces Aircraft, when I was suggesting to him that it was a Russian Freighter, was wrong......hoorah, I was correct for a change!

Philth.

Well it could have been a USAF Hercules, but I think you probably know what they look like.

There aren't many high wing 4 props to chose from, if it wasn't a Herc'.

Rob

As an 'interested in airplanes' spotter can I point out that the OP is almost certainly telling us that it was a piston engined 4 prop rather than a 4 prop turboprop which has a completely different sound but not appearance.

Or is he? I am confused.

• RMweb Premium

Not many, if any piston 4 engined, aircraft around now.

I can't think of any of that type, high wing 4 prop, even in the piston engined heyday.

Rob

Edit for clarity.

• RMweb Premium

Well it could have been a USAF Hercules, but I think you probably know what they look like.

There aren't many high wing 4 props to chose from, if it wasn't a Herc'.

Rob

It wasn't really a Herc shape and the sound was quite different. 

Slightly OT but 'Finningly' is getting really quite busy at times, however it is often a case of 4 or 5 planes leaving/arriving in a short space of time and then nothing for ages!

Must be fun at baggage collect!

If anyone is interested I'm told there is a weekdaily service to Berlin (some good trains to watch I'm told). Not sure without looking, if there is a weekend Berlin service.

Phil

Phil

Not many, if any piston 4 engined, aircraft around now.

I can't think of any of that type even in the piston engined heyday.

Rob

Oh lordie!!!

DC4, DC6, DC7a b and c, Lockheed Constellation and Starliner, Avro York, Canadair CL4, Boeing Stratocruiser, Handley Page Hermes, Avro Tudor, Focke Wulf Condor......these were just the ones I know about and I have seen all bar the last three. Bear in mind that in the 50's and very early sixties all these aircarft were in fleet usage so were seen constantly and in large numbers both in the skies over the UK and on the ground at most large airports.

Slightly OT but 'Finningly' is getting really quite busy at times, however it is often a case of 4 or 5 planes leaving/arriving in a short space of time and then nothing for ages!

Most likely because air traffic control can only allocate sky to these services at specific times and it is easier to deal with them in bulk on a quiet day. It is also possible that the resident control tower is only manned part time.

• RMweb Premium

Oh lordie!!!

DC4, DC6, DC7a b and c, Lockheed Constellation and Starliner, Avro York, Canadair CL4, Boeing Stratocruiser, Handley Page Hermes, Avro Tudor, Focke Wulf Condor......these were just the ones I know about and I have seen all bar the last three. Bear in mind that in the 50's and very early sixties all these aircarft were in fleet usage so were seen constantly and in large numbers both in the skies over the UK and on the ground at most large airports.

Only the Avro York of those is high wing, and even then shoulder mounted. All the rest are low or mid mounted.

Rob

Only the Avro York of those is high wing, and even then shoulder mounted. All the rest are low or mid mounted.

Rob

True but your post reads as though there were very few piston engined 4 prop aircraft about in the old days.

I think that only the Russians produce large(ish) piston engined aircraft these days so the idea of a Russian freighter holds water in this specific case. With a high wing design you are doomed to have a fuselage mounted undercarriage and that in turn restricts the width between the main wheels which in turn can promote snaking and ground loops. Still very useful for freighters as a rear door loading ramp is much easier to fit and use.

Again off topic, I can vividly remember the Flying Tiger freight only CL44 which was a copy of the Bristol Britannia with a fully swinging tail section. On a low wing design this needed a scissor lift capable of handling quite heavy cargo loads but since the Constellations that the CL44 replaced required this form of loader anyway using a huge side loading door.

• RMweb Premium

The one I saw yesterday was deffo turbo prop; sorry to be an arse as I know you know the 'story'!

Phil

My apologies Phil, the AN12 was in yesterday (still is) its same size roughly as a hercules so possible to mix up, it looks like a tubby Herc the fuselage more rounded and has a distinct anhedral on the wing profile. they are much more dirty though with very distinctive smoke trails, particularly on departure or working hard. It was in a couple of weeks ago so very possible you saw it then too, (no USAAF been through in a long while). Both types C130/AN12 designed for similar roles. 

The IL76 is also in DSA at the moment, been a long while since I worked with one, its out this evening middle east bound, if you see it underline it in yer book you wont see one for quite a while!

• RMweb Premium

My apologies Phil, the AN12 was in yesterday (still is) its same size roughly as a hercules so possible to mix up, it looks like a tubby Herc the fuselage more rounded and has a distinct anhedral on the wing profile. they are much more dirty though with very distinctive smoke trails, particularly on departure or working hard. It was in a couple of weeks ago so very possible you saw it then too, (no USAAF been through in a long while). Both types C130/AN12 designed for similar roles. 

The IL76 is also in DSA at the moment, been a long while since I worked with one, its out this evening middle east bound, if you see it underline it in yer book you wont see one for quite a while!

Do you know what time it's due off P?

Phil

Hi Chaps, As a ex Luton Airport  person, I have been interested in this, and found out there was not any prop other than the Fokker 50 daily flight in Luton for awhile. The Fokker 50 is a twin turbo prop. Hope this helps.  Gordon.

post-9384-0-28989300-1464537951_thumb.jpg

post-9384-0-88414100-1464538057_thumb.jpg

post-9384-0-90432300-1464538196_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The IL76MF version is a very rare stretched version of the IL76.

One of them has been into Stansted this year twice and it cause a spotting frenzy each time.

It was Royal Jordanian AF JY-JID/361. Is this the same one by any chance?

Rob

Archived