The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

What was this plane flying into Luton?

edcayton

• RMweb Gold

You might try checking the live arrivals at Luton.

All scheduled passenger commercial flights that land there will be recorded by airline and flight number.

You can then search the airline sites to find out what fleet they are operating.

Of course if it were a freighter then it won't be recorded.

I don't know whether you can go back through FlightRadar24 and see what happened around that time.

Not many prop-liners go into Luton these days.

However, Aerovis Airlines out of the Ukraine occasionally fly an Antonov An-12 in.  I don't think it is a regular flight, and it is also unlikely to show up on Flight Radar 24.

Their livery is a kind of turquoisey-blue and white, if that helps.

• RMweb Premium

I've checked playback on both Flightradar24 and Planefinder and nothing for a prop' only jets.

Sometimes private or unscheduled flights don't show up.

DH8D, AN12, AN26, D328 and the like fly in to Luton, as do smaller light prop's.

I might be able to find out after a few days if the daily movements are posted somewhere.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Would a repositioning move of (say) a Dash appear on that system? Could be for a charter or private hire?

Phil 

Most of the scheduled turbo props show up now, and positioning moves, as do many one off freight charters such as AN12's, etc.

I've not been able to find anything on the movements pages on the web so far, but the movements for that day may turn up later.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Military then? We get quite a few in and around Finningly (Robin Hood Sheffield Doncaster). Sometimes they are using the place and sometimes they are doing circuits, presmably in case of 'emergency'. 

Phil

Military then? We get quite a few in and around Finningly (Robin Hood Sheffield Doncaster). Sometimes they are using the place and sometimes they are doing circuits, presmably in case of 'emergency'. 

Phil

Private charter...? Most commercial A/C and a lot of General aviation has the necessary transponder to show up on these systems (if they don't then they bloody well ought to), it's quite addictive to hear a plane go overhead and have to check what it is- plus looking for the freighters that only comes out at night and gliders on warm days that cover huge distances.

• RMweb Premium

Still nothing has appear on the various web sites.

So Can you remember if it was high wing/low wing.

Normal tail or T tail, 2 or 4 engines.

Any idea of colours. I might be able to hazard a guess then.

Rob

Thanks for your efforts all! I was looking into the sun and couldn't see much. I saw it in silhouette against the sun, so couldn't tell colours or whether twin or four engine.  I would say it was high wing if forced, but really can't say any more about it. Sorry, it was just a hope that it was a scheduled flight.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

Having trawled around some plane-spotting sites I have come up with an Atlantic Airlines ATP freighter. They are based in Coventry, but do list Luton as a destination. A possibility?

Ed

http://spottingaviation.forumactif.com/t6177-02-07-2012-british-aerospace-atp-g-btpg-atlantic-airlines

A possibility, they do usually show up on FR24, but not everything does.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Large, 4 engine turbo prop out of Finningly this afternoon. Think it was type of USAAF Transport plane that replaced the Hercules as that has been around here before. However I know nothing about aircraft.

Phil

Archived