Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

A sucker for unusual liveries

I tend to like anything 'oddball' so unique/unusual liveries fit that. I quite like the liveries that came about around the exchange trials, with a MN in blue looking rather good to my eye.

Very nice, Jessy! A stretched, double engined Hymek. If they really had done that, that would have given it around 3,500 hp, using the existing Maybach engines. That's more powerful than a Deltic!

My model was also double motored, with two chassis cut and joined through the middle. Mine is an early one with the non-ringfield metal bogies, and runs very sweetly (albeit not all that quietly!), and with all wheels driven and picking up power, it will pull anything I put behind it. There is one TCS T1 decoder feeding both motor bogies.

I like your full yellow ends as they spark up the plain maroon. I was debating what treatment to give mine, but settled on the 'traditional' style matching the green ones, although I did try grey cab window surrounds rather than white: that did nothing for the appearance and looked quite drab. Keeping mine as a class 35 meant I had a dilemma as to what to do with the numbering too. I ended up using transfers and chose a random Hymek number, D7013.

p.s. I note we both used the BR coach stock crest. :)

Cheers SRman, that was my plan, iv got 3 3500hp Super Hymeks,one red one green and a blue one, i even named them using wr 47 names, think the red one is mammoth and the green one is python but i cant remember if the blue one got name plate! It started as a scrap lima deltic chassis and 2 bust up hymeks obviously, once cut and rejoined they sit very nicely on the lima chassis, and dont cost much to make. Wish BR had made a few... might do a load haul one next hmm

Cheers

James

Hmmm, I like the stretched, twin engine Hymek, James.

I also think the grey stripe works well with the maroon, SRman,

it'll be added to mine now!

I kept the white window surrounds, as I felt it looked better than

both the grey or yellow, but I am going for the 'standard' BR logo

(as in the type for green livery).

My solution to the numbering was the same as Tornado's, it will

be D7101, ie the next one that would have been built.

The other unusual thing about mine is that it has the (highly modified)

chassis from an Atlas 'Union Pacific' F9, which meant shortening the

bogie sides to match the wheelbase, and having a much larger fuel

tank. It still looks like a Hymek, until you put it next to a 'normal' one!

It also has all wheel pick-up and drive, so performs quite well.

On the subject of unusual liveries I vaguely recall reading somewhere that, for one of Queen Victoria's Jubilees, either the LNWR or the Cally turned an engine out in some form of Tartan. Can anyone confirm? (Would have looked rather dapper with the Cally's 'white bow tie' route indicator thingy).

On the subject of unusual liveries I vaguely recall reading somewhere that, for one of Queen Victoria's Jubilees, either the LNWR or the Cally turned an engine out in some form of Tartan. Can anyone confirm? (Would have looked rather dapper with the Cally's 'white bow tie' route indicator thingy).

I'm not sure about the railway application, but in the early to mid 1970s, London Transport sent a long Routemaster (RML) to Scotland to have an all over advert for Younger's Tartan Beer put on. This was a tartan finish with white posters and patches for the logos and wording. I have only ever seen photos of it in black and white, unfortunately; it must have been a very unusual sight in full colour!

P.s. Needless to say, I have NOT attempted to replicate this scheme in model form! :D

I'm not sure about the railway application, but in the early to mid 1970s, London Transport sent a long Routemaster (RML) to Scotland to have an all over advert for Younger's Tartan Beer put on. This was a tartan finish with white posters and patches for the logos and wording. I have only ever seen photos of it in black and white, unfortunately; it must have been a very unusual sight in full colour!

P.s. Needless to say, I have NOT attempted to replicate this scheme in model form! :D

I think I may have answered my own question - if we look on www.steamindex under Crampton, there is a C Hamilton Ellis pic of a NBR Crampon in Tartan dated 1851 (if I've read that right). Mighty fine sight to see, both for design and livery!

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may have answered my own question - if we look on www.steamindex under Crampton, there is a C Hamilton Ellis pic of a NBR Crampon in Tartan dated 1851 (if I've read that right). Mighty fine sight to see, both for design and livery!

a quick search online shows it as NBR No 55 built by E.B. Wilson and Company in 1849

• RMweb Gold

Like this. The Tillamook area is dairy land and home to this.

Lovely area. And Tillamook is my preferred brand of Greek yoghurt, delicious stuff. Their ice cream is fantastic, too, albeit not for the waistline..

Back in the late 1970s or early 1980s, there was a Queensland Railways diesel of the 1460 class that suffered a combination of fading of its blue colour plus exposure to the red dirt of inland Queensland, which resulted in it running around the Brisbane suburban system in a rather delicate mauve and pink scheme. Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of it.

Back in the late 1970s or early 1980s, there was a Queensland Railways diesel of the 1460 class that suffered a combination of fading of its blue colour plus exposure to the red dirt of inland Queensland, which resulted in it running around the Brisbane suburban system in a rather delicate mauve and pink scheme. Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos of it.

Around the same time that Victorian Railways/VicRail were actually painting a locomotive into something of that colour.

post-10122-0-90687800-1467462840_thumb.jpg

T334 in "Ozride" livery, stored at Cowper Street sidings, Mebourne (March 1987).

Archived