Portillo on the S&DJR

• RMweb Gold

On iPlayer from tonight: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07dnzxs

(With thanks to Tim Dubya for the heads up)

Mentioned on our regional BBC news as well. I think we get it live this evening but I will be out at monthly rail enthusiast meet at The Ship. So handy if I can get it on iPlayer tomorrow.

Lots of Ivo Peters' cine footage apparently so should be good - apart from Portillo.

I think we need to be prepared for it not being entirely about the line, but as much about the area the line served.

Saw it - despite the schedule for BBC West actually listing something different :-) 

The S&D content itself was quite good - who would have expected to see Ivo's Bentley being driven ON the Charlton Road viaduct ??? -- but there were also 'diversions' to Kilmersdon colliery (did I spot the shell of the old GWR Radstock South box?) and a curious segment about the social/racial issues in Bristol in the 1960s.

• RMweb Premium

I watched the programme on iPlayer last night. It was good to see the S&DJR get some exposure, though as the programme was as much about life in the West of England in 1966 as it was about the railway, there wasn't time to give a decent potted history of line. Instead a few bits of history were mentioned, and the rest of the time was more about Ivo Peters himself (and his car); life in Bristol for newcomers; the Midsomer Norton site; the Radstock colliery gravity(?) line; and the Gartell Light Railway.

A bit of a lightweight diversion for 30 minutes, rather than essential viewing.

Those of us in BBC South area had to put up with exDJ Anne Nightingale waxing lyrical about things in the old DCR area, but it did feature our Blandford layout - for a few seconds, and characters like Kevin Trim, and Bob Downes on view. And to think 'Pier' spent hours in the museum filming !?!?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07dpcv9/living-in-66-moving-with-the-times

... while the London version had Patsy Kensit waxing lyrical about the Kray Twins. Interspersed with differing opinions on whether London becoming "swinging" in 1966 was or wasn't a reality.

At least the background snatches of pop hits were from the correct year, and I was interested in Gered Mankowitz' contribution, having long admired his photography. 

The Nim.

Up yer in Norfolk we had the late great Alan Smethurst (The Singing Postman) mentioned - "'Ave u gort a loight bor",

Keith Skues reminiscing about Radio Caroline and the pirate radio days, and the mods and rockers at Great Yarmouth on bank holiday. Very enjoyable all the same as was the S&D Portillo programme. Thanks for the link.

Nice program.

I was lucky enough to travel on the S&D twice, from Bath GP to Evercreech Jcn on 13 July 1964 (73052 south, 76027 north) and 13 July 1965 (80096 south, 76057 north). A wonderful line, but even back then well past it's prime.

I have an old Edward Beal model railway book signed by Ivo Peters once owned by him. It has the Bath bookshop sticker on it. I found it in a tatty old secondhand bookshop a few years ago for a fiver !!

R.I.P. S&D &  Ivo.

Brit15

Archived