LMS Diesel Unit

• RMweb Gold

On another thread (What if the Varsity line had survived), it has been mentioned that the LMS articulated diesel unit went on to become used on the Crewe-Manchester electrification as a wiring train.

Does anyone know of any photographs of it at this period?

• RMweb Premium

Is that the one with underfloor paxman engines? If so that was built by BR at derby to test out DEMU's for intercity routes.

I'm not aware of any other LMS dmu...

Andy G

• RMweb Gold

Is that the one with underfloor paxman engines? If so that was built by BR at derby to test out DEMU's for intercity routes.

Andy G

I thought this too

• RMweb Gold

Andy G

Sorry. My confusion due to it being ex-LMS coaches. Quite an interesting modelling project in its own right.

• RMweb Gold

There is some pictures of the three car unit in Bill Simpsons Oxford to Cambridge books if you can locate a copy.

I think it is volume 1 Oxford to Bletchley.

I have a look later.

• RMweb Gold

There is some pictures of the three car unit in Bill Simpsons Oxford to Cambridge books if you can locate a copy.

I think it is volume 1 Oxford to Bletchley.

I have a look later.

I had a copy of that book (donated to Yeovil MRG). It's the later period that I am curious about although any model that I made would be as per the original but perhaps in DMU green with speed whiskers.

To answer a point raised above: the LMS did have other diesel railcars, and if you include the types used by LMS-NCC in Ireland it becomes very clear that the LMS had a very active and well thought through diesel railcar development and evaluation programme, just as the same team had a very good diesel loco evaluation programme.

The name of the engineer who led the programme has leaked out of my brain, but I do recall that his personal papers are held by the NRM, so it is possible to trace almost every turn of his learning about and thinking on the topic. [edit: even reading the catalogue, without reading the contents, gives a very interesting insight http://www.nrm.org.uk/~/media/files/nrm/pdf/archiveslists/2013/hornbuckle-tommy-archive.pdf ]

K

PS: Tommy Hornbuckle was the engineer. Here is the best write-up on the articulated unit trials that I've seen http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/c/cambridge/index7.shtml

Archived