Deliverance

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I've been adding a few details to the loco servicing area and maintenance sheds, mainly using Woodlands Scenics white metal castings. The water tower was shortened and lowered and the tank is unintentionally wonky.

post-14541-0-24610600-1477827258.jpg

post-14541-0-81501800-1477827265.jpg

Now I just need to get to work on that Minitrains steam engine. Meanwhile the diesels have a refueling tank and here it is being replenished by truck.

post-14541-0-08023000-1477827273.jpg

The battery-electric is moving a flatcar around the yard. One of the Woodland Scenics packs contained the workbench that sits in front of the handcar shed. I'm debating whether or not to add a lean-to roof but the casting is quite nice so I may leave it out in the open. I've been working on my dry brushing technique and think it has really made a difference in bringing out the details in the castings.

Finally, here is another shot across the yard.

post-14541-0-04783800-1477827277.jpg

Max

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

A while back I mentioned that I had a Bachmann N Plymouth ready for a conversion. I'd been scratching around for inspiration when I spotted the little yellow diesel in the June Small Layout Scrapbook http://www.carendt.com/small-layout-scrapbook/page-119-june-2016/. It had just the right sort of backwoods look so I set about producing no. 4.

post-14541-0-63593500-1479746889.jpg

post-14541-0-47848400-1479746892.jpg

post-14541-0-39183100-1479746895.jpg

Originally I built a full-length roof as I imagined it would provide useful protection under the coal loader but it didn't quite look right to me so I shortened the roof. Livery is very weathered Cornell Red. I'm quite pleased with the result and the Bachmann mechanism seems to cope with dirty track better than the Kato chassis. 

Max

• Like 5

Here is an overhead shot of the town.

post-14541-0-31318700-1480692282.jpg

I've never been really happy with the two Wills huts behind the depot. I felt it needed something more substantial to take attention away from the foam 'forest' behind so I set to work building a fishing/hunting supplier.

post-14541-0-48172900-1480692287.jpg

It was constructed from Balsa and a few bits and pieces from the spares box. I painted the structure with Tamiya Flat Earth and stained with Games Workshop Sepia. A bit of dry brushing brought out the grain and I'm really pleased with the result. That natty Nash Metropolitan looks a bit out of place but, then again, Deliverance does seem to attract some strange folk!

Here is a shot of the loco spur and I'm toying with the idea of making some kind of loco shed. Perhaps just a corrugated iron roof on a wood frame.

post-14541-0-40268900-1480692292.jpg

All the best 

Max

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

I may not be familiar with the film but I am very impressed by the quality of the modelling here. Great stuff.

Thank you for your kind comment. I'm putting together the conveyor  for the mine loader at the moment and I think the layout will then be finished apart from the odd grass cluster here and there. I can recommend the film!

It wasn't any of these but thank you for sending the links. I could watch this stuff all day!

I'll try to find the original posting as it is well worth watching for an incredible mountain climbing micro. I think it may have been posted by Shortliner.

Here are a couple of shots of the overhead coal conveyor.

post-14541-0-72741800-1483355940.jpg

post-14541-0-71306800-1483355945.jpg

This just about completes the layout so I thought it would be a good time to review the layout. The big plus for me has been the running qualities of the Kato and Bachmann chassis. The Minitrains Plymouth isn't the best runner. As for the stock, the new Minitrains stuff runs nicely but some of the older second-hand Roco cars hardly roll and I made the mistake of adding too much weight to them which made them unmovable!

The big plus has to be the overall appearance and especially the use of the vertical. I spent a lot of time doodling and this paid off. The idea was that the layout could be viewed from lots of different angles and I'm really pleased how this has turned out. If I get bored of the view I can just turn the layout through 90 degrees.

The biggest disappointment has to be the Peco turnouts though I didn't help things by relying on the blades to route the power. With hindsight I would have wired through the turnouts and put in extra section breaks. The layout was designed with some operating potential but in reality it's more a case of watching the trains go round. All of this has got me thinking about a HO end-to-end version, set in either the 1950s to include some steam or the 1970s.

Happy new year!

Max

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'd lost track of this layout (blame the "New/Improved" RMweb of a few months ago), but concerning banjos, reading this thread again now reminded me of a sticker I saw on the back of a pick-up truck (what else?) in Orlando, FL, a couple of years ago:-

"Speed up!! I hear banjo music!!"

:D

• Funny 1