Deliverance

Hi all

Deliverance is a narrow gauge HOn30 layout set in the Apalachians in the 1950s.

post-14541-0-15758000-1465387886.jpg

Here is a shot of Plymouth no. 6 at Deliverance depot.

More to follow.....

Max Legroom

Edited by Max Legroom
  • Like 10

Overall size is three foot by two foot by about two feet high to allow for a gorge and representation of the mountains. This is probably at the upper limit size-wise for a micro. Construction is a 6mm plywood box with a few bits of triangular soft wood to support the corners and track base. The layout was heavily influenced by the Charming Creek tramway in New Zealand despite the US setting. I have deliberately avoided taking things too seriously as it really is just a glorified trainset!

I'll post some general photos soon but in the meantime here are some more locos.

post-14541-0-59878800-1465489287.jpg

Plymouth no. 5 (repainted Minitrains) heads a westbound passenger, consisting of a single combine, out of Deliverance. This loco was the first diesel purchased and struggled with some of the gradients when hauling coal trains. The management decided they needed something more powerful and bought Plymouth no. 6 (Kato/Rushby's Resins chassis, F&C body) from a steelworks in Pennsylvania. While they were inspecting the Plymouth they spotted a little battery electric for sale which was ideally suited for switching at Deliverance. This became no. 7 (Kato/Rushby's Resins) seen here.

post-14541-0-52032400-1465489710.jpg

Max Legroom

Edited by Max Legroom
  • Like 9

It's early morning and the sun has just cleared the ridge. No. 5 emerges from the tunnel and cautiously crosses the trestle.

post-14541-0-62004400-1465657877.jpg

Meanwhile, in the canyon below, four city-boys are setting off downriver in a pair of canoes. Let's hope they manage to steer clear of the locals!

post-14541-0-34914700-1465657881.jpg

The bloke in the white vest looks a bit like Burt Reynolds and the colours of the canoes are true to the film.

The trestle was put together with a few bits of wood from the local model shop. The great thing about backwoods railroading is that nothing is too exact but I did miscalculate the radius of the curve on the trestle. I think it is as low as 4" but most stock will go around it at low speed (and low speed is the only way to cross a rickety old trestle!).

• Like 16

Very clever photography, I like the lighting effect.  That trestle bridge does look a bit precarious.  Look forward to seeing more photographs  of this layout.  Do you have a track plan?  It would be interesting to see how the components with different heights fit together.

I'd be interested in seeing a track plan too (and more pictures). The size I have to play with is just under your 3ft x 2ft and I hadn't thought about using height to compensate for lack of space until seeing this.

Here is an overhead shot which should hopefully make the trackplan clear.

post-14541-0-62405000-1466360237.jpg

The trackplan, and indeed the whole concept, was heavily influenced by a really cool Japanese micro layout that was featured on this site in a video. Unfortunately, I can't find the posting. As I mentioned before, the Charming Creek tramway in New Zealand was an influence, as was the Pelion Railway in Greece.

The electrics are DC and there are three sections with one being the tunnel. A train can be hidden in the tunnel and I added a hinged wooden flap to access the tunnel.

post-14541-0-96479500-1466360246.jpg

Above is Django Junction (named after an escaped slave who held up the mail train!) where the branch to the mine loader leaves the main line. There is a small depot here where a well-used trail crosses the line.

Finally we have a view across the yard at Deliverance.

post-14541-0-19499900-1466360260.jpg

The bulk of the foliage is Woodland Scenics clusters as I wanted it to be as unobtrusive as possible - just a background representation of the woods really. There are a few foreground trees which again use Woodland Scenics clusters and plastic armatures.

• Like 15

Yup.... "squeal like a hog, boy!!"

Hope that bit's not modelled - too much information!! :D

Neat layout though :yes:

Ha, ha! There is a 'local' asleep next to the depot with his jug of moonshine. I'll try to get a photo if my iPhone is up to it.

What's this parked outside the maintenance sheds?

post-14541-0-38319200-1466597014.jpg

The company have invested in a new VW railbus for the track crews. The crews weren't impressed when they saw the size of the engine. 'Where's the V8?' However, they have to admit that it is performing well and a big improvement on the old handcarts. It even has a built in turntable (the big hand from the sky!).

The body is Schuco on a trimmed Kato chassis.

• Like 9

Here is the VW crew bus and Plymouth no. 6 doing some work at Django Junction.

post-14541-0-29390900-1467131443.jpg

In the next photo, the engineer strolls across to no. 5 which will take out the eastbound Lightning Bolt. Note the aforementioned local snoozing next to the depot.

post-14541-0-26522100-1467131448.jpg

The depot is a Walthers yard office with a roof from a Wills garage. The combine is by Minitrains and is the only passenger car at the moment though, in truth, you could probably fit all the passengers into the VW.

• Like 6

Thanks for the overhead shot, it's clear how all the elements of the layout fit together.  The design is very clever; by placing the hill in the middle of the layout, you have an end-to-end layout that's been 'rolled' into an oval layout, giving you a different view from each angle in a much smaller space than an end-to-end.  Also, in photographs, the hill can act as a backscene; very effective indeed.

Also, I wouldn't want to have to reverse the VW if it only has the standard single reverse gear.

Thanks for the overhead shot, it's clear how all the elements of the layout fit together.  The design is very clever; by placing the hill in the middle of the layout, you have an end-to-end layout that's been 'rolled' into an oval layout, giving you a different view from each angle in a much smaller space than an end-to-end.  Also, in photographs, the hill can act as a backscene; very effective indeed.

Also, I wouldn't want to have to reverse the VW if it only has the standard single reverse gear.

Thank you for your comments. The advantage of a layout this size is that the plan can be drawn full-size on paper. Originally, the mine line was intended to loop over itself around the central hill section but the full-size plan showed that this idea looked a bit too unbelievable whereas the plain central hill provides a nice unobtrusive background to the railroad. Likewise, I had intended to include a turntable and engine shed by the depot but, again, it looked too contrived so I went for the simple approach of a siding with a pile of coal (and a water tower when I get round to making it!). I did do a lot of sketching as I wanted to have several distinct viewing angles with a scenery backscene where possible, for example, looking along the river from either side where the bend in the river avoids the 'straight through' look.

One thing I have found is that the Peco points are not particularly reliable when it comes electrical contact and I would go for electrical switching with extra feeds if I was starting again. Unfortunately, I went for simple electrics and relied upon contact at the point blades. However, this really is just a layout for watching the trains go by rather than complex switching and if I get bored with a particular view then I just turn the whole thing around.

One thing I have found is that the Peco points are not particularly reliable when it comes electrical contact and I would go for electrical switching with extra feeds if I was starting again. Unfortunately, I went for simple electrics and relied upon contact at the point blades. However, this really is just a layout for watching the trains go by rather than complex switching and if I get bored with a particular view then I just turn the whole thing around.

Yes, I found exactly the same thing with the Peco points; the answer on my layout was to push the fishplates from the frog onto the next piece of rail, take them out (hopefully without disturbing the ballast too much) and then wire the thing properly.  We learn by experience.

Hi folks

Here are a few shots of the town. The first shows the main street with a Woodlands Scenics white metal bar on the left and a couple of lovely Rusty Rails castings on the right representing a general store and doctors. In fact, the Doc can just be seen leaving the building and heading across the road for some refreshment. Is that a pink Cadillac?

post-14541-0-77217000-1468504425.jpg

Here is a closer view. That Caddy will get the locals talking. Apparently it belongs to a singer, uh huh huh!

post-14541-0-34465700-1468504428.jpg

A Nash Rambler lurks in the background. Below is a view of the back of the store and doctors.

post-14541-0-44650300-1468504431.jpg

Finally, a Minitrains caboose sits in the yard.

post-14541-0-70017000-1468504434.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few shots of the mine/Django Junction side of the layout.

Plymouth no. 6 is pushing a couple of empty coal cars up the mine branch having just brought down a couple of full cars on the left.

post-14541-0-53901900-1469610033.jpg

Clearances are really tight here and I had to do a bit of pruning of the foam foliage to enable the loco to fit. The next shot shows why the little railroad has survived this long - the local roads are nothing more than dirt tracks.

post-14541-0-87624300-1469610037.jpg

Our intrepid photographer has hiked up into the hills to get a couple of overhead shots of the mine loader.

post-14541-0-05695900-1469610041.jpg

post-14541-0-71942000-1469610043.jpg

The mine itself is somewhere behind the photographer and I need to add the overhead conveyor to the loader. It will cross the main line and be supported by some rickety girders. The whole thing is going to be an exercise in rust so I've picked up some Deluxe Materials Scenic Rust in preparation.

I've been eyeing up the Minitrains 0-6-0 Porter saddletank but I can't really justify the expense. Instead I picked up an N gauge Bachmann Plymouth on E-bay which runs really nicely and gets around the tight curve on the trestle bridge. My initial thoughts are a homemade boxcab on the Bachmann chassis (I've done something similar in HO using the Bachmann chassis and a modified Roundhouse boxcab body) but any other suggestions are welcome.

All the best

Max Legroom

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Clearly nobody has been around with a hedge flail in a while.

Most of my narrow gauge locomotives are built on the Kato tram chassis, they are shipped worldwide from Japan.  A1 Models makes a range of small diesel locomotives including a (fairly tall) boxcab as brass kits, but may need extra chassis components built from simple plasticard shapes to sit the shell properly on the chassis.