Peter's Boring Picture Thread

Peter Kazmierczak

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This is one of several boring photos I took at Didcot recently. It was drizzling and I was accompanied by two grandchildren who always wanted to get on to the next exhibit.

Given the steps, I expect that they are providing a useful service of some sort, rather than just being put out to grass as my caption suggests.

post-14351-0-70248200-1470869547_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 6

#14 East Stoke by the River Frome

Took quite a few attempts (and about an hour and a half) until I got one I liked.......

post-6880-0-09069400-1470940394.jpg

Seemed to have lost the rear of the train.

post-6880-0-14590900-1470940484.jpg

Not very good timing, but the sun is out.

post-6880-0-64994900-1470940551.jpg

Bush in the way; d'oh.

post-6880-0-76185200-1470940612.jpg

Better, but the sun's gone in a bit.

post-6880-0-40936400-1470940715.jpg

At last a result!

• Like 5

#15 Unfriendly Salisbury

Don't know what it is about Salisbury but the last time I was there in 1977 I got told off for taking a picture of a freight train, even though I was in the middle of the station on the platform.

Visited again today. As there are barriers on the station I thought I'd observe the trains from the bottom end of the carpark out of everyone's way. The carpark (like many others I've visited), has old rails painted white around the edge to stop cars hitting the fence.

I was standing on this (about a foot off the ground) when the station manager approached and told me not to stand there. He was friendly enough and I shook his hand, but it just seems strange that I was told off again after 39 years.

Anyway, here's a picture I took with a Cardiff - Portsmouth GWR service arriving, surrounded by SWT units.

post-6880-0-94434500-1471282529.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening Peter.

Just spotted this thread and, since you're a frequent visitor to KL/KL2, I thought I'd return the compliment.

As you're aware, I'm especially keen on the astronomical side of photography, but I've enjoyed what you've posted here. Reminds me of my student days when I always carried an SLR in the hope of an interesting composition - non railway, mostly buildings, I'm afraid to say.

I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

This is one of several boring photos I took at Didcot recently. It was drizzling and I was accompanied by two grandchildren who always wanted to get on to the next exhibit.

Given the steps, I expect that they are providing a useful service of some sort, rather than just being put out to grass as my caption suggests.

Some of them are dormitory accommodation for overnighting volunteers and one is fitted out as a bar "The Black Python Bar".

• RMweb Gold

#17 Selfie at Kingswood

One of the DOO mirrors on the Tattenham Corner branch of the Southern at Kingswood. I'm being very good and sensible, kneeling behind the yellow line on the platform whilst taking the picture.

attachicon.gifDSCN4558.JPG

Well that's a different way of taking a selfie :jester:   But be careful or all the tourists will be copying your technique.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

#18 Pottering at Grimsby

The current railway scene is all very well, but I do find it at times either too clinical, or conversely, too derelict. Perhaps it's a certain "coldness", with no spare stock lying around or the odd loco just pottering around a station.

Here we go back to the summer of 1980 at Grimsby (Town) station. Semaphore signals, "proper" crossing gates and a Class 08 waiting between duties with a GUV. The track is kept neat and tidy - no weeds or rubbish here. No graffiti either.

Just an everyday scene from another era.

post-6880-0-55182100-1473545906.jpg

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I am really not sure to which thread I should upload this - it was on the front of one of the buses that are replacing trains on the line between Lewes and Seaford, under Southern Railway's emergency timetable. Clearly someone at the bus company wants us to remember what we are missing! Perhaps they haven't realised our electricity comes from the third-rail.

post-14351-0-78821800-1473977368_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3

#19 Thousand at New Street

Birmingham had two bites of the Western cherry. First in the early 1960s at Snow Hill (at the start of their careers) when they appeared on Paddington - Wolverhampton - Birkenhead services. Then again in the mid 1970s (towards their demise) when they appeared on Paddington - B'ham New Street turns.

Here's one on such a turn, at the west end of New Street's platform 1.

post-6880-0-59069600-1474205785.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 months later...

​#20 - Peak at Derby Loco

​Just another "Peak" receiving a Heavy General at Derby in September 1980. An everyday sight at the time.

But this loco (46009) wasn't just any old "Peak". It would, four years later, be on the national news. It was chosen to be the loco to end its days smashing into a nuclear fuel flask in a controlled demonstration on the Old Dalby test track.

post-6880-0-97075200-1480273578.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter......... you should amend the topic title, definitely not boring but certainly interesting and great phtography. I left the UK in 1971 when most of the "steam age" infrastructure was still intact so it is certainly illuminating to see the "improvements" that have taken place since. Have to admit though I still cherish my memories of how it used to be. Are you near Derby?

Rgds.....Mike

Hi Peter......... you should amend the topic title, definitely not boring but certainly interesting and great phtography. I left the UK in 1971 when most of the "steam age" infrastructure was still intact so it is certainly illuminating to see the "improvements" that have taken place since. Have to admit though I still cherish my memories of how it used to be. Are you near Derby?

Rgds.....Mike

Thanks Mike.

Born and grew up in Derby. Haven't been back in years though......

• RMweb Gold

Here we go back to the summer of 1980 at Grimsby (Town) station. Semaphore signals, "proper" crossing gates and a Class 08 waiting between duties with a GUV. The track is kept neat and tidy - no weeds or rubbish here. No graffiti either.

I recently came across pictures of Montpelier station on the Severn Beach line in Bristol. I was amazed to see the extent of the graffiti there. According to this entry from 2006, some was officially sanctioned and some wasn't. I wonder what condition it is in now. There are some photos on-line with decidedly less pleasing appearance, but they are not dated.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Montpelier_station_wide.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters

​#22 Waiting for the road at Stafford

Stafford in the mid 1970s.

​The driver of the Class 87 looks back to check all is well before heading north, whilst the driver of the Class 86 on the Down Fast wonders what the delay is all about.

post-6880-0-28870600-1480765311.jpg

• Like 6

I recently came across pictures of Montpelier station on the Severn Beach line in Bristol. I was amazed to see the extent of the graffiti there. According to this entry from 2006, some was officially sanctioned and some wasn't. I wonder what condition it is in now. There are some photos on-line with decidedly less pleasing appearance, but they are not dated.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Montpelier_station_wide.jpg

It actually looks a lot tidier in that photo than when it was my local station from 1973 to '75- I used to pass,if not use, it every day, as it was the quickest route from Coburg Road to Gloucester Road. Apparently, it had a curious layout, where the coal yard was across the forecourt from the railway, the tracks to it crossing it on the level. Thoose flats appear to be built on part of the approach road, which had been very wide when I lived nearby.

• 3 weeks later...

​#23 Over the fence

​444041 leaves Bournemouth Depot yesterday afternoon with 5B29 14.18 ECS to Poole for an up Waterloo service. Behind is Cl.455 unit 5915 - these crop-up at the depot on a regular basis though have no passenger turns down in Dorset.

Observant viewers will realise that the Cl.444 is formed the wrong way round - the 1st class should be at the London end of the train.

post-6880-0-01760700-1482167319.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...