Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Model railways at the Tate Modern

If we are assuming the classic "white cube", I'd have a double helix (in white) suspended down to door height (2M) with 0 or 00 gauge weathered steam trains endlessly ascending and descending but with Olafur Eliasson (he of the Tate Sun weather project) densely filling the space with clouds of deliciously oily smelling steam - only now and then can you glimpse the trains...

but of course

....deafening full size steam sounds (complete with doeppler effect) totally dominate.

title?

"Heaven" .... that's where I'm hoping to be heading shortly.

:sungum:

Bit of a Yellowist myself !!

http://www.blouinartinfo.com/news/story/831942/wtf-is-yellowism-a-guide-to-the-obscure-movement-behind-the

“Yellowism is not art, and Yellowism isn't anti-art,”  “It's an element of contemporary visual culture. It's not an artistic movement. It's not art, it's not reality, it's just Yellowism. The main difference between Yellowism and art is that in art you have got freedom of interpretation, in Yellowism you don't have freedom of interpretation, everything is about Yellowism, that's it.”

R3366_3164717_Qty1_1.jpg

$_32.JPG

I think the Yellowists ruined the Blue Pullman though !!!!

Brit15

A number of models of GWR 4-6-0 locomotives, of various scales, suspended in the manner of a "mobile" above a baby's cot, but above a railway modeller, who is asleep in bed.

This one is called "Castles in the Air"....

That was a song by Don McLean, if I remember correctly. Maybe you could play that as background music to the exhibit.

A load of people queueing for a dreary station toilet and one brightly dressed guy using the platform edge.  With some form of sea monster in the ballast, definitely requires a sea monster.

And maybe Batman just because.

• 3 months later...

Cracking stuff, Phil.

Not only that, but Hellingly was a very interesting prototype, and, having seen your layout, I know you caught it well.

Personally, I wouldn't model that line, though, because the hospital was always spoken of by the older generation locally in tones that suggested darkness and tragedy, when I was growing up.

Kevin

Personally, I wouldn't model that line, though, because the hospital was always spoken of by the older generation locally in tones that suggested darkness and tragedy, when I was growing up.

Kevin

All asylums were. Kids used to threaten others that they "would be sent to Hellingly" in the same way that around here it was "you'll be sent to Hatton".

I was contacted by a nurse who described her first days there as a 16 year old. Apparently the noise from the patients at night was very unpleasent. However, at the time, a lot of people thought they were doing the best for the inmates. (I know that people ended up in asylums for having babies out of wedlock etc. but there were plenty of genuine cases) and who knows which of our current medical practises will be seen as barbaric in a hundred years time?

Some of use have been there and done it. Even used Anthony Gormley's old van: http://philsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/eating-custard-doughnuts-in-gallery.html

I clicked on your link but didn't find Gormley's van.

AG called for volunteers to lie and be cast in something nasty at the Baltic here on Tyneside as a follow-up to his Gateshead Angel a few years ago.

He turned me down, criticising my horrible Essex accent (true), but accepted my broad Ozzie mate - 'cos he came from Newcastle Queensland!

I'd have withdrawn his artist's licence

:no:

dh

What we first need are 9000 full boxes of Peco Streamline, and a floor space about 30 by 10 meters. We pile the boxes to show the present network route outline  - Harry Beck style - with proportional heaping to represent the traffic density. Then we cover the floor around the piled boxes within an outline of Britain with 450,000 rail joiners.

The difficult bit is the title. 'Network : Connections' perhaps?

• RMweb Premium

The funny thing is that while art critics will no doubt expend much effort on analysing aspects of this that I have no appreciation of, I'm just left wondering what a DBS freight engine is doing pulling two blue grey coaches.

Possibly highly symbolic of something or other...and then again possibly not. (And of course I would never run similarly odd combinations on my railway...Caledonian pugs often pulled GNER Mk 4's, didn't they?)

A display of Peco Code 75 bullhead track (but, of course without any points), representing mankind's inability to change direction and, therefore, the ultimate futility of existence. 

On the other hand, an art installation at a model railway exhibition:

post-25673-0-90788200-1474897379_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-63944300-1474897390_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-26834700-1474897399_thumb.jpg

post-25673-0-03085900-1474897414_thumb.jpg

I love the fact that the ' art nerds ' considered you to be part of the art installation - high praise indead ........a very interesting read . Thanks for sharing .

Mike b

It was a very interesting and enjoyable experience. A very different type of visitor to the normal ones looking at the layout. The design students brought round one day were fascinated by the typography of the luggage labels on display and we had a discussion about railway posters designed by well know artists of the day. No-one was condescending, in fact they really appreaciated the skills on show in that area.

Mind you, the floor I was on was described in the Guardian review as "mostly naff". I did consider a t-shirt with that on but then remembered polari.

• RMweb Premium

Kevin, you've obviously got your finger on the pulse in starting this thread, I read in the paper today about an entry for this years Turner prize, by Josephine Pryde, who is an obviously gifted artist, up there with Michaelangelo, who should be given the prize forthwith, no contest:post-26540-0-29688200-1474986867_thumb.jpeg

post-26540-0-45555000-1474986897.jpeg

Just in case anyone thinks us yokels down here don't have access to fine art, I'm putting forward this sculpture for the Tate model railway in art show: it's called, "Mummy, what's a web moderator?"

post-26540-0-04530800-1474987091_thumb.jpeg

Ah, but one of the nominated exhibits for the £25,000 Turnere Prize this year is a  model "railway to nowhere" and it is accompanied, in another room, by a 10 metre high sculpture of a pair of mans buttocks - obviously representing one of the less tasteful, mal-odorous visitors to a model railway exhibition - I think the world is going totally mad.

post-6688-0-98819400-1474988233.jpg

Archived