If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

Greetings...

SmokingST44

I found out about this site whilst reading through a back copy of MR picked up from my local model shop. I'm new to forum life - I apologise for any "faux pas" I might make - I (usually) cope well with constructive criticism btw .

So far I'm only an armchair modeller. I have the space, the timber, the track but not the courage to get going - I've seen the standard of work on this site, at shows and in the mags and frankly I feel inspired but daunted sad.gif .

Despite my user-name, my current project is British outline, industrial...

Kindest Regards

Welcome :)

An interesting and sensible starting point; what sort of industry are you thinking of? Have you made any plans as yet? Once you've thought that through and decided other criteria and the means of baseboard construction you'll probably be itching to get started rather than being fearful of kicking off.

I found out about this site whilst reading through a back copy of MR picked up from my local model shop. I'm new to forum life - I apologise for any "faux pas" I might make - I (usually) cope well with constructive criticism btw .

So far I'm only an armchair modeller. I have the space, the timber, the track but not the courage to get going - I've seen the standard of work on this site, at shows and in the mags and frankly I feel inspired but daunted sad.gif .

Kindest Regards

Hi and welcome to the mad, mad world on RMWeb!

Don't be daunted. Modelling is a learning curve that every one of us is on and we all have to start somewhere. Getting the space and the timber is usually the hardest part. Just go for it!

I look forward to hearing about your plans.

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

Welcome and please don't feel daunted just because of things you have seen on here. For 'centuries' I lived in a cosy little world, then in 2007 I came across RMweb.

'Let me turn you on' said John Lennon and this is exactly what this forum and its members did. Things learned on here are too numerous to mention, but the great thing is one can ask how things were done and get almost instantaneous responses.

Larry

• RMweb Gold

I can only echo the above sentiments - as a fairly green novice myself only 18 months ago, the help, encouragement and knowledge I've received from the members here has really helped my progress from a dreamer to a doer.

Don't be daunted, be inspired and active !

Stu

Your warm welcome put a smile on my face - thank you one and all!

My plan is to portray some exchange sidings and a passing loop on a privately-operated freight-only line, used by through trains as well as those serving a branch to a mineral loading dock and a (bio?) fuel distribution depot (which would hide the fiddle yard). The locos would be ex-BR or freelance, and I might let an occasional "ramblers special" disturb the slumber of the old halt.

I have been blessed with a very understanding wife, who encouraged me to use our "inherited" 10x8 shed, and the by-product of three huge 1970s fitted wardrobes which HAD to go(!). Add to that an influx of second-hand flexitrack at my local model shop.

It's taken since 1984 for it to all fall into place. That's why I'm nervous but here goes...

Archived