Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Model trains and poll day

I was amused today whilst visiting Lynmouth on a nice sunny day, to see that the model railway in the church hall in Lynmouth by the coach park is also a polling station today, sadly the trains weren't going around but you could still look around in between the polling tables

Any one else able to train spot in model form whilst voting or know of a model railway acting as a poll station today?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Our Polling Station used to have a shooting gallery (rifle range) and apart from that it's a church hall which is about half a mile from the church it is associated with.  Oddly the church's playing field is was about a quarter of a mile away from the hall in the opposite direction from the church (it is now under 'low cost' housing).

There was a smelly bloke in front of me when I went and it seemed to remain rather than leave.

Andy are you sure you hadn't sneeked off to a train show where our lesser washed brethren frequent, whilst clameing to be voting

Our polling station is a Church right at the side of the West Coast main line just north of Wigan. Nice to watch the Pendo's screeching past as we vote !

I'll be up early tomorrow to see the result.

Brit15

Our polling station is a Church right at the side of the West Coast main line just north of Wigan. Nice to watch the Pendo's screeching past as we vote !

I'll be up early tomorrow to see the result.

Brit15

Close but ! The trains in Lynmouth were in the same room not outside!

And No I won't be getting up to see if it's in or out. I wanted ' shake it all about' but that wasn't on the options

• Like 1

We even gain the occasional new member as a result.

Good to know that some good will emerge from the whole debacle.

Our polling station ( can I use that word legitimately here? ) is also in a church hall, though there might be quite a bit of debate about the word 'church' as well as the 'hall' also serves the local community as a coffee shop, library, MUGA, and all sorts of other less useful services - though sadly not model railway club.

There was a smelly bloke in front of me when I went and it seemed to remain rather than leave.

So Andy like the country you choose to leave rather than remain ! In his remains

I was thinking about a sort of arthouse film, possibly starring Sir Anthony Hopkins, telling the story of a country in which repressed individuals who'd really rather not talk about the whole Europe thing skirt delicately round the question of Europe, before the film ends on a painfully repressed note. It would need a Japanese director to really get the best out of the cast. I've got a great idea for a title: The Remains Of The Day.....oh wait, hang on....

• Like 2

We were brought up to believe in the words of the almighty, so when many of the churches around here displayed large 'Vote Leave' signs, the outcome in Wales was a foregone conclusion......  :mosking:

And now the sermons will once again ring to the sounds of ' nashing of teeth as well as fire and brimstone for those who chose not to repent'  :scratchhead:

Our polling station was the Sea Scouts hut.

Nothing really railways related you may think.

But it is situated at the bottom of a railway embankment and when I was a young wippersnapper, it was a pre school which I attended.

On one particular day we were evacuated due to a train of 12t vans derailing atop the embankment and there was a concern some may give in to gravity.

I seem to recall there was a peak on the train.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the lucky voters at Milland in West Sussex cast their votes not 10 feet away from our club room and storage cupboard. Ironically containing an H0 layout set in 1950s Berlin!

Should have thought really, we could have serenaded the voters with Dirty Ludmillas and sound-fitted DR class 01s...

You can hear the NVR quite clearly from our polling station (Botolph Arms) although being a Thursday I don't suppose there were any trains.

Continuing the European theme, it has hosted a number of German, French, Polish and Swedish locos and rolling stock at various times (its convoluted history means it was relaid to the Berne loading gauge, apart from the station at Wansford)

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1