L&B Layout in Narrow Gauge 009

bertiedog

On hold for a very long time due mainly to the slow introductions of Locos and suitable stock, a new layout in 009, to have the flavour of the Lynton and Barnstaple, started ages ago with Langley products.

I have never been happy with the running of 009 based on commercial chassis, and some kits left a bit to be desired in running steadily and smoothly.

I had not the time or money to build all the stock needed for the brass kit coaches, although I did recently get some Langley from Ebay at a very good price.

The introduction of the Heljan L&B Locos looked like a big break, but of course it has taken years to get round to being available, and it should be this year.

Peco did well with coaches and stock, but nothing to run it with till now. I have three coaches and some wagons in storage, and orders in for the L&B, and the forthcoming Bachmann WW1 loco and stock, also on pre-order. The only change to the Peco Coaches and stock was fitting all metal wheelsets, with brass bearings.

What has triggered getting the layout under way now is the Bachmann Skarloey loco, which is coming from the current imported batch next week.

Although definitely not L&B, the loco will suit as a general purpose loco to get things running and test the track etc. it will be re-built with the correct smokebox front, and general improvements to the cylinders and rods.

It is reported to be a good runner, and the metal body cries out for decent fine scale detailing, and a good paint job, as it is at the moment, a rather thick gloss finish, design for toy market use. The smokebox front, to replace the toy face, will be turned brass, the same for the cylinders. I have Gibson handrail knobs etc, and can do the pump in turned brass. Crew figures can easily be fitted to the footplate. various chassis extras can be added as well to detail it to proper finescale standards.

Another Loco already being built is an 040 diesel  based on the Kato chassis, which is a remarkably fine runner on a PWM switched feedback controller.

A big decision is the track and points, and the newer version of 009 from Peco looks nice. However I have a quantity of code 40 bullhead rail, which could be used with PC sleepers, if I can find a supplier of pre-cut and point making PC board lengths to suit. Cutting out from sheet is very wasteful on the SRB type and near impossible with the glass fibre base, as it ruins saws and cutters except carbide or diamond based.

The layout will be used in conjunction with my new Southern layout, which has a section of narrow gauge incorporated into the design, and the 009 layout will be basically a generic L&B station style, with a simple track layout, perhaps Woody Bay as a terminus station, with a loco, and carriage sheds. Although basically a terminus operation, it will have a line continuing on to connect back to the Southern layout to provide continuous as well.

The layout, apart from the approach and return to the Southern Layout, will be about 6 foot by 2 foot for the main station, and goods sidings, plus loco and carriage sheds. The run with the other layout section with be about 25 feet, with the connecting sections removable whilst the layout is out of use, or running the station on its own.

Working on the track plan next and finding suitable drawings and photographs for the L&B stations.

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 7

A slightly shortened Woody bay looks the best option, and fits the 6x2 space, dozens of shots of the Station on the net, so a lot of plasticard to buy! I see that there is a nice book on the whole line with drawings, but the cost is very high, as much as a loco, so passing on that one.

Track layout about the same as the real thing, plus a couple of storage sidings, and unless I can find PC sleepers, Peco 009 mainline track and points. They seem to be pretty good for the well maintained L&b track appearance.

A vital thing for the model is the trees!, very distinctive at woody Bay, which requires little landscaping bar the sloping site. I have a spare MDF baseboard already to use, but 5 foot long, so an extension required to one end.

It could be in basic use with the Skarloey Loco within a few days if I can source the  track quickly.

Stephen.

• Like 1

Welcome to the real world of Narrow Gauge modelling from which 009 is not divorced.  RTR 009 locos have been available for years, to order. I must have about a dozen.

Peter

I have done 009 and 12mm before, and have an ON30 layout at the moment, but British 009 in RTR has not been available before, many kits. bodies for N gauge mechanisms, or using continental diesels as British, but no L&B or Talyllyn locos. I don't mind buildings kits but found it takes time, and one or two etched kits left a lot to be desired in the gearbox, and motor arrangements.

So with the L&B Locos coming, The WW1 Baldwin and converted Rev Awdry locos a small neat line can be developed, using Peco stock, and coaches, and the Bachmann stock when it appears.

I will stick as far as possible to the Peco L&B coaches, they are excellent items all round, bar perhaps the standard wheels. Can't comment yet on the Bachmann items as I have not seen any samples or shots showing much detail.

Once fitted out with all the detailing, Skarloey will look good, and sounds like it runs well. Quite a bit of work to add the handrails and piping, plus the chassis details, but worth it if it runs OK.

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog

post-6750-0-27765300-1467023577_thumb.jpg

The station section being prepared today. It follows the general look of Woody Bay, with a goods shed and small engine shed added. The sloped surface will be retained, with the trees in the background slightly lower. Just trying to get a flavour of the real station. I will scratch build the main building etc., just a bit smaller than scale to enhance the perspective.

Peco mainline points and track, with points operated by lever frame, same for signals.

Base is MDF with polyfoam top, plus plaster, with slits were the track descends at the left hand end, and the head shunt rises. The area around the goods shed is raised due to slope.

Track and points ordered in, and styrene for the buildings as well.

Stephen.

• Like 3

No, not a member, I could not travel to shows whilst at work, and these days I cannot travel very far due to illness. I appreciate the societies activities, but would be unable to take part.

Sorted out supplies of Peco mainline 009 track today, and 3 mainline 009 points (the shops stock), with some more on order. Also found a Langley kit for three Glynn Valley railway coaches, which will go will the Bachmann Skarloey loco, renamed Talyllyn  after re-building and detailing. Might get some Peco Glynn Valley coaches as well, but later as budget allows.

The layout will be stand alone at first, then connected to the Southern layout I am working on later, and a loop connection established via the 00 layout.

Stephen.

Does anybody know what the road side of the station at Woody Bay looked like, not the buildings but the yard and the road outside? I know it is all altered now, but was told it was all open to the road, with a bus stop etc., and a small roadside building for some purpose in the yard.

There are plenty of shots of the railway side, but not the other.

Stephen.

Slightly revised plan, (not exact to scale), with a good shed added in a better position, based a bit on the Lynton one, but far smaller, with canopies both sides, off loading on to platform and into shed, with doors opposite to give access to vans and wagons.

post-6750-0-29970600-1467230770_thumb.jpg

I notice that Bachmann have done a resin cast 4mm model of the Station buildings at Woody Bay, but I think I will continue with a scratchbuilt version. The Bachmann Station is reduced in scale a bit from 4mm like many of it's buildings, but looks good with stock and wagon sizes etc, and I intended to reduce the size a bit anyway for perspective reasons.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 1

A bit more adjusting of the plan, and a baseboard reduced to a pile of component parts whilst plans are made to deal with portraying the sloping site. The plan is slitting the track bed apart from the bottom edge, raising it up about 1/2 th inch, and then the back edge would be lower. The front area would be refitted on blocks and new battens to raise it above the track by about 3/8th inch rising to about an inch at the front edge.

post-6750-0-46963500-1467379842_thumb.jpg

The rise will vary from steep at the left hand end to shallow in front of the station then rise again.

The left hand track approaches on an incline to the level Station, with the headshunt level, but above the incline.

On the right hand end at the front there may be space for an unused Hornby Resin cast Ticklepenny Cottage, refinished in a more Devon building colour, with extra detailing. The tiny bridge can cross the roadside gulley. The building and the loco shed should help hide the transition to the rest of the layout loop.

post-6750-0-65477900-1467379813.jpg

Back to the wood work, dozens of plaster boards screws to use to secure everything back into a sound base board, then start fitting the track base and laying track, the Peco Mainline 009 variety.

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 2

Found and completed a kit for a Vale of Rheidol coach, (ex Ebay), I think it is made by Parkside Dundas (no paperwork). All fitted well together, but a mystery, there is no provision for couplings on the bogies, is this normal for 009 ? The bogie does have a cross member on the outer end with a hole, is that the provision for a coupling to be bolted on?

I usually use the standard loop and hook type that the Peco Lynton & Barnstaple coaches and stock has fitted. Is it usual to have to buy in this type, I will check with the Parkside list on the net.

The coach needs trimming and sanding etc., once it is completely hard and dry, and parts made to allow the roof to be made removable to fit passengers etc.

The roof is rather thin, and needs both length wise and cross bracing made to fit the arc of the roof. This can be done in plain plasticard, and the roof attached with magnets to retain it in position.

The coach pretty well matches the Peco L&B coaches for height and width, not sure about the plastic wheels though, I have some spare Roco ones that might fit.

Edited by bertiedog

The track laying had started, but no points, but I have them on order from Hattons to complete the whole layout, they are the 009 mainline versions of much wider radius, 18 inches, and electrofrogs. Should help cure the woes of the short versions. 18 inch is quite large even for N gauge track, and suits the appearance of the L&B track quite well

As it is in the middle of the track, and obvious, the point rodding bars etc., will need to be portrayed, even if non working. I will see if square wire is available or I will have to make some by drawing brass wire though a die. As it is only decorative really, it can go on much later, after ballasting etc.

Stephen.

• Like 1

Ebay again, 30 feet of .64mm square brass ( in a roll) for £5.99 (UK post free), many other US suppliers, but postage kills the deal. It will need straightening up a bit by pulling in heat, but it does not need one piece runs, so short bits joined by the carriers would do, mainly cosmetic anyway.

The other item is the Signals I think only two at Woody Bay Station., but will check. I will make them in brass from scratch.

Signs are to be done on plastic film in my inkjet printer, along with Southern Posters and travel posters, and other flat detailing parts for the Station Buildings.

Stephen.

• Like 1

From the current re-building pictures at Woody Bay, the rodding is round in section through the rollers, with square roods to connect etc., so brass wire can by used for the main rods. I wonder if this is original.

I have gathered up all the shots of existing signals, to work on making what is there at present, three signal posts, two are made from rail sections, and one on a tapering short wooden post.

Stephen.

Found and completed a kit for a Vale of Rheidol coach, (ex Ebay), I think it is made by Parkside Dundas (no paperwork). All fitted well together, but a mystery, there is no provision for couplings on the bogies, is this normal for 009 ? The bogie does have a cross member on the outer end with a hole, is that the provision for a coupling to be bolted on?

Yes, that would be Parkside Dundas kit DM10 (assuming it's not the fairly recent new version DM10A). It is normal for there to be no couplings.

I made a removable roof for the one I described here, 4th post down 'The Enigma Coach'.

The Parkside kit is probably old stock as it was bought on Ebay, and it certainly needs re-tooling as the sides do not quite match, making fitting the seats a bit odd in lining up with the windows! With a bit of jiggly pokery the seats fit now within reason, and the bogies now have metal wheels, but no couplings at present, but I will make a couple of plain hooks with a wire loop myself.

post-6750-0-00874400-1468277689.jpg

The coach fits in well with the Peco L&B coaches, which will have to be phased in at their cost! I only have one green at present, but the others will be the L&B livery versions.

The thin plastic roof has proved to be quite problematic, the solvents warped it as the cross beams and strengtheners were glued in, so a full planked wooden roof will be needed, quite easy with superglue and PVA in combination, six to seven cross members to the roof profile and then temp glued to a board to the correct spacing, and planked from each edge in 1mm oak strip 3mm wide, laid end to end, and as they are shorter than the roof, over lapping alternately in a finger joint in the middle.

The last plank is cut to the width of the remaining gap, each being glued on with superglue on one side of the joint and PVA on the other, which gives a near instant join with some body to it. After it is hard, an hour in warmth, the excess plank is simply trimmed and sanded away, and the roof removed from the board.

The whole surface is sanded down and given a coat of cellulose sanding sealer over the lot, and after it dries, near instant, any hole or crack filling done with stopper made from wood dust and PVA, or superglue and bicarbonate of soda.

The lot is covered with damp Japanese tissue paper, as used by aero modellers, and then doped on to the surface with shrinking dope, followed with a couple of coats of sanding sealer. then sanded smooth and undercoated with car cellulose red oxide or grey, and then a coat of the final colour. ( or left in grey).

The result is a very sound wooden roof, the oak I used is old parquet floor strips cut up on a bench bandsaw. The whole process can be done in an evening with the superglue PVA procedure, plus painting time.

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 2

I now have all the track and points, so the track bed is being built on to the pine under frame of the layout, mounted on 6mm by 30mm wood blocks, 5 inch long, these are set every 3 inches along the lower board, following the track plan, starting with 1.5 mm thick ones at the left hand end, and increasing slowly over about 18 inches to give the rising approach. The track bed is to the width of two tracks clearances plus the ballast width, and then 4mm plain level to connect to the rest of the landscape. The platforms are MDF formed and sanded to shape, with card "stone" edges.

The track bed itself is 3ply 4.5mm plywood, covered with cork underlay closely following the track plus ballast width, and the track is held down with double sided tape, till ballasted, when the ballast and PVA mix will hold it down fine.. Temp screws are added at the joins, outside the track, bearing on the sleeper ends to keep the lot stable. All screw holes are pre drilled to minimise distortion, and aid getting them out before the ballast sets hard.

The points are fixed with double sided tape, and domestic brass pins, fitted to pre drilled holes, made with a Dremel tool. The heads are countersunk slightly into the top of the sleepers. The pins provide a bit of extra security, to take the strain of the point levers or point motors when in operation..

On either side of the raised track bed will be polystyrene used to profile the landscape, along with card and ply etc as needed. the raised track will aid wiring etc as well, over the solid pine plank baseboard, heavy construction, but it has to be a shelf attached to the wall without front edge support.

The ballast is a Jervis reddish browny pink granite mixture, with added grey, and will be over painted in thin acrylic paint washes to get the right look, plus white dry brushing, and add rust, coal and oil stains. All the track is Peco 009 Mainline.

Should have the track laid tomorrow or Wednesday, and start wiring loom and point lever runs in PTFE tubing. The Lever frame will be behind the Signal Box shed in the correct position, but on the board edge to make it easier to operate.

Using some spare Scaledale buildings to fit as dummies to get the arrangements right, whilst the buildings are scratch built. Some bus bars will run under the raised track bed for lighting supplies to the buildings and station lamps.

The longest process to come is the ballast and track painting, I like to get it right, no surplus or ballast in the wrong places in the points. But the track can be test run before the ballast goes done, as the tape is surprisingly good, with good adhesion.

Then come the trees......very distinctive trees at Woody Bay......

Stephen.

The Parkside VoR coach kits now come with a moulded roof. Even better the roof is available separately - see DP08:

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_PARKSIDE_DUNDAS__ACCESSORIES_.html 

Thanks, but wooden roof all done now, fits a treat, to be fitted with magnets to hold it on. The Japanese tissue surface with shrinking dope gives a nice finish, just enough texture to look right, and you can just make out the planking.

However I notice from the Parkside list they do the couplings, but I had just finished the jigs etc., to make brass versions, which on first test work better than Peco, and are smaller in appearance. I am toying with changing the whole layout to Kadee N gauge type, with magnetic un-coupling, but it is the cost that's the issue..

Stephen

Track laying today, with the Peco 009 Mainline track and points, which are a distinct improvement over the crazy track type with uneven sleepers that Peco make as well. The rail section remains the same at Code 80.

The wood finish moulded sleepers are a bit short in length in my opinion, but I expect it is done to match other track products. I pretty much resembles the L&B track which was well maintained for it's shortened prototype existence.

A slight mystery is the geometry adopted by Peco for the track centres on points, it seems too close together for most 'mainline' 009, and a short track piece of .9 inch has to be added, to move apart the tracks to a scale distance for the L&B. The geometry seems to match N Gauge, so I suspect this was done so that N gauge points would match, if used. The Peco mainline 009 turnout radius used is very generous for 009 at 18 inches, and suits the L&B style trackwork.

The Track is laid on ply, with a layer of cork trackbed under the track only, held down initially with double sided tape, and removable locating screws to keep the ends in place whilst glue etc is setting. The track is held down by the ballast glue in the end. No nails are driven through the track without pre-drilling through to the base board for a push fit only. All the parts are laid on a stout pine plank base, which acts as a shelf for display etc.

I do find the Peco insulating fishplates are a bit of a loose fit, so to prevent loosing them with trial and pre assembly, they are superglued on, The nylon does not really glue to metal with superglue, but it makes the fit tighter. The fish plates can be lightly crushed with cutters to give a sound joint, but they will be soldered later anyway. Wires are added to give the feeds, short jumpers in brass, with heat shrink over the brass under the track, the brass being able to bend to an exact shape, unlike copper stranded wire.

Stranded wire is used for the main feeds, with a short piece of brass wire at the end to make a neat joint to the track, The end of the wire and the brass is again covered in black heatshrink.

Any expansion joints that are live, are fitted with loosened fishplates, and a nickel silver wire loop is added in the ballast to join the rails. The loose fishplates will still aline the rails correctly, and allow for cold and heat expansion properly.

As the layout is quite simple, most wiring is on the surface, under ballast or the scenery surface. There are dead sections which are switchable in the passing loop in the Station, and a dead section in the head shunt and goods road. The power is feed in at the left hand end of the layout, and the wiring is suitable for DCC as well as DC.

A separate wiring harness will deliver 12volts DC to lamps and lighting, and power to the signals solenoids and lamps.

The Peco points are operated by wire in PTFE microbore tubing, 1mm in diameter, with .8mm Steel MIG welding wire used as the push / pull wire. The tubing is expensive but the wire cheap. The exits of the tube are sleeved with black Heat shrink tubing, which cannot close tight on the wire, so the tubing acts as a neat nozzle guide for the wire as it exits at both ends. The ends at the lever frame are put in a tighter brass tube for the passage to the omega loops and the levers. This keeps the wire straight with no kinking risk.

The Lever frame end has provision for Omega loops to prevent over throwing the point, and switches for frogs if needed, but in this layout the Peco points are set to be self switching. The micro switches can be used for LED indicators for the points but as it is a real lever frame, the levers indicate anyway the point setting direction.

The signals will be separately controlled by solenoids, which can be wired to the switches later on. The wiring for these goes in a harness loom, under the layout.

The low station 'platforms', are to be made from 2mm expanded Polystyrene wall veneer, with a covering of art grade cardboard. The polystyrene is the newest fire retarded type for safety, and is used for gentle contouring on the layout scenery as well, it has, of course to be glued down with water based PVA or acrylic glues, no solvents.

The edges of the station platforms are defined by stones, so these flagstones will be cut from thin card in random sizes, within limits to be randomly added along the edge, with a lip folded over into the ballast. Then it can have a coat of acrylic vanish to finish before painting.

Any card or poly landscaping will be coated with a ceiling paint finish, the Polyfilla non cracking type, which gives a light plastered finish, ready for paint, textures and grass. It is very tough and hard wearing. Thicker filling ill be done in Tetrion filler, or Plaster of Paris mouldings, done in Vinamold moulds.

The cost of polystyrene brick and stone sheets has got ridiculous from some sources, so I am making a set of dental grade Plaster masters, to do my own vacuum forming for stone work and tiling. I may stick to commercial brickwork, as making the master is a lot of work for bricks.

I have some very old poly sheet brickwork, not made by Slaters, which could have a mould made in resin from them, and then cast plaster on to the resin to make the vacuum mould. It is English bond, and it really needs plain bond to be more useful.

The Station is small random stone at Woody Bay, plus a little brick, and lots of roof! the approach walls and the good bay surround are too be name of wood, sawn to shape or blocks, or bendy slit pieces. They will be coated with the ceiling plaster paint to give a textured surface.

Back to the layout after a meal.

Stephen.

• Like 1

Track laying nearly done, just the power leads to connect, and start testing the lot before landscaping around the track is done, prior to ballasting the lot. Then platform detailing, walls and trackside details to add, then final landscaping for the Station buildings to stand on. Flocking is left till last, it needs all paint and ballast totally dry before it can be done, as the flock will adhere to anything wet or tacky

I have a box of seafoam for the trees, but will need forms made for the trunks etc, in wire and plaster mixed with PVA. It may need a second box of seafoam, not exactly inexpensive!

I hope the Heljan L&B locos are available soon, it is now years since announcement. Peco have some more bogie wagons coming, but  I have scratchbuilt two anyway.

Stephen

• Like 1

I use N-gauge buckeye couplers (by Microtrains, Kadee are HO and up). They're not particularly expensive, but I have found them increasingly difficult to get hold of. I can tell you more if you're interested, but as a starter and using a lot of RTR I'd suggest sticking with the standard type and seeing how you get on. For magnetic operation the Greenwich type are popular, and compatible (to a degree) with the BEMO and PECO type. 

The PECO 009 track is "streamline" and like the streamline range in other scales is not designed to set track centres, nor even connect to make a circle, as set-track does. A range of 009 set-track has recently been launched, but as yet the points are dead-frog and personally I'd avoid dead frogs unless you like dead locos. In any case, there is no standard for track centres of narrow gauge railways, just as there is no standard for loading gauge, platform height, etc...

Do post some photos of your progress!