Hasselhöf Nord

• RMweb Premium

Following on from Bw Hasselhof (my boxfile locoshed diorama) I felt the need for somewhere to shunt my growing collection of DR freight wagons.

I had a bunch of Peco Code 75 points (uncluding some previously cut-down to the vee-end)  and flexi track to hand, along with some A1-sized sheets of 5mm foamcore sheet, bought from Hobbycraft a while back when they were BOGOF. And a bunch of assorted structures to play around with - one possibility is to make the main structures swappable with US-outline ones, so this micro could also see service as a US switching plankette (I do have a sizeable collection of US H0 stock as well...)

One sheet sliced down the middle longways provided my track base (so double-thickness), then a box was built around this incorporaing a cut-out fascia, backscene and end boards, to give a 33" x 11.75" x 11" box, 22" of the length being my scenic section. resulting baseboard is very lightweight and surprisingly strong, though I do plan to protect the edges and corners with plastic angle section.

The kit of parts (with some tabs glued in place)

27323489264_9ec698559d_k.jpgDSC_0433 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

PVA mostly set, just making sure the trackplan still works...

27935747525_369e8fd79f_k.jpgDSC_0434 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

The one critical track section is the loco headshunt - sized to just take a V100 Ost/Alco S1 - everything else is worked out from this.

27935748905_e0d7c406f1_k.jpgDSC_0435 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

There will be a fiddlestick, approx 18" in length (so overhanging the board edge) which will have the power supply and plug into the relevant track by way of fishplates. I'm testing out a simple, diy controller, using a PWM motor controller (£1.50 from China via fleapit) and a DPDT switch fed from from a batterybox containing 4 x AA batteries.

The 2 complete points will be thrown by wire in tube (the slots for which have already been cut into the upper layer of the trackbed.

Layout lighting will be way of LED strip, mounted under the built-in strip along the top edge.

Next job is to properly fix the track down and test, then start on structures and scenics - grotty urban will be the overriding theme here.

The trackplan is more or less certain - I have played around with a whole bunch of options, most of which are shown in my 'Toy Trains' flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/alanmonk/albums/72157670302119815/with/27321708743/

• RMweb Premium

That is tiny indeed Alan!  I hope it's fun to operate.

So do I!! Not the end of the world if it's not a workable layout. I've spent very little time/money on it and if it ends up in the bin, so be it!

I reckon on getting between 6 and 9 wagons, depending on length*, plus the lok on there. Run-round will take one wagon. Fiddlestick should take lok plus 2 (maybe 3). Kadee couplings with a skewer/pole rather than magnets. I might look at some form of dice/card system to direct the shunting.

* DR's long-wheelbase (Gbs) vans are nigh-on the same length as common-or-garden US 40-footers, which is nice.

If you're coming to PaGFoV, I'll do a Tailby on you and you can have a play while I go for a wee/wander/beer!

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The foamcore board has been edged with plastic angle and lipping to protect the corners and exposed foam edges, and the whole given coats of paint (black for the fascia, etc, grubby gray for the backscene and brown for the trackbed. Typically, I spotted some black foamcore sheets in Hobbycraft recently... I almost scrapped the white board and remade with black, but as it was complete, I persevered. Lighting has been installed - 1 strip each of cool and warm white LED strip.

Track has also been laid - the 2 points are thrown via wire in tube, with cut-down chocolate blocks as knobs.

27587513043_2683374dbd_c.jpgDSC_0455 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

28202913535_4e3af0ecd6_c.jpgDSC_0456 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

I've also built a controller - a 4 x AA battery pack, dpdt switch and a PWM controller installed in a 0.3l Really Useful Box, feeding the fiddlestick through a 2.5 jack plug and socket - this allows the same controller to service both Bw Hasselhof and Hasselhof Nord via their own dedicated fiddlesticks. The fiddlestick powers the road it is plugged into (using standard peco rail joiners) which means there are only 2 wires needed!

28125274981_4cc2edc70a_c.jpgDSC_0450 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

And the first structure has appeared, an Auhagen half-relief loading shed.

28169181196_bbfd7fcde0_c.jpgDSC_0458 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

Next job is to ballast and infill the track

• RMweb Premium

So, having had a day playing on it yesterday Al, whats the verdict on it operations- wise?

Disgusting of Market Harborough

It all works! And Battery Controller v2 was in use (6 x AA rechargables, giving more oomph, plus a smaller dpdt switch to give the wiring a bit more room) and all was good. Both controller and lighting batteries lasted all day with no discernable reduction in go/brightness.

Operationally, much like an inglenook - shuffling wagons around, with the added bonus of a run-round facility. Capacity is 6 x 15m-long* wagen, or up to 10 shorter (10m). I think I'll have some form of card/dice system to give a little more meaning to random shunting moves.

*did also test some US H0 stock, 40' cars are pretty much the same length as my lwb East German vans and flats.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I think a discussion of dice related/ card shunting could be had next weekend over an ale or two Al

Disgusting of Market Harborough

I read your piece in Update DoMH and have tested it a bit and, with a couple of mods to suit layout (more sidings) and stock (load type or physical restrictions*) it works rather nicely. certainly gives more purpose to shunting.

* I discovered that the under-canopy lamps on the Auhagen shed aren't compatible with 2-axle DR Interfrigos...

In hindsight, I think I made the layout too tall (11", with a 9" high window) - reducing that by a couple of inches would not affect the operation at all, but would make storage and transportation easier. I'm not going to hack this shorter, but lesson learned for the next one**.

**I may have laid in a small stock of black A1 Foamcore sheets... oops ;)

Haven't had a chance to properly start on the scenics yes, and the rest of the year is looking pretty busy, but we'll see. I'll also dig out the pics of Hasselhof Nord in operation, once I get back from Scaleforum this weekend.

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

An update to this... either the foamcore I used was inferior quality and/or my rather crude 'slap it on' approach to the painting of the board has adversely affected it, but the paper facings are coming away from the foam core in a number of places.

And with a house move looming, I will probably take the decision to salvage the track and scrap the board and have another go once we're settled into the new gaff.

Archived