advice needed to model a rebuilt M & GN Class A 4-4-0

I plan to build a 4 mm model of a rebuilt M & GN Class A Beyer-Peacock 4-4-0 ideally as shown in the attached photo from lner.info using a Peter K kit of the loco as built originally as a basis. Many of the modifications needed seem quite straightforward except for 2: can one purchase an MR class 4 boiler with an extended smokebox, as shown, from a kit manufacturer & what kits if any, are available for the MR 3,000 gallon tender attached to the loco?

Thanks in advance,

Muddle & Go Nowhere man

post-3097-126823101626_thumb.jpg

London Road Models list two Midland tenders

Neither of which are what the poster was after (both Johnson types). I hadn't prior to this even heard of a Fowler 3,000 Gallon tender. I guess the frames would be similar to the larger 3,500 gallon version and if so, these are availble from Comet (as are complete 3,500 gallon tenders - see also Brassmasters and Gibson). Goof luck with the build.

Adam

Neither of which are what the poster was after (both Johnson types). I hadn't prior to this even heard of a Fowler 3,000 Gallon tender. I guess the frames would be similar to the larger 3,500 gallon version and if so, these are availble from Comet (as are complete 3,500 gallon tenders - see also Brassmasters and Gibson). Goof luck with the build.

Adam

Thanks to those, who have tried to help. I too hadn't heard of an MR 3,000 gallon tender, so I will check out the Fowler 3,500 gallon one, as it certainly looks similar to the one in the photo. If the model gets built as planned, I will post a photo of it here together with details of the modifications to the Peter K kit of the loco as built originally.

Muddle & Go Nowhere man

Thanks to those, who have tried to help. I too hadn't heard of an MR 3,000 gallon tender, so I will check out the Fowler 3,500 gallon one, as it certainly looks similar to the one in the photo. If the model gets built as planned, I will post a photo of it here together with details of the modifications to the Peter K kit of the loco as built originally.

Muddle & Go Nowhere man

I'd want to see a drawing (or a couple of goodish side views), before I came to a conclusion, but I think it's simply a bit lower so a conversion might well be on - though I can't tell where the shortening in height is exactly. My feeling is that the top rave above the beading on the side has less material before the cut-outs start and the tank side might be a smidge smaller too. Still, you have the loco cab side as a datum since the cab saide cut-out and the raves seem to line up. Hope this helps.

Adam

Archived