RMweb

Body Fixing

When i was a child i had a Hornby Gordon and as he was an express loco i ran him fast, too fast once and he fell of the track and on to the floor. My dad did the best to glue the cracked cab back together. Recently i found a body at a show with a cracked buffer that has been glued so was going cheep, my idea to cut and glue the two body's  together. 

I have no experience of cutting and gluing body's so am needing some help, what is the best way of cutting a body so it is square and then a glue that is strong enough to stick them together? 

Thanks Ash

post-29213-0-82550500-1467579101_thumb.jpg

In the same vein as Darrel, look to do the repair as simply as possible. I would be thinking take a buffer off your old damaged loco body, substitute for the damaged buffer removed from the body you just purchased. Buffers are usually separately fitted parts, so you are working with the way the model is assembled.

Adhesives for what are usually now ABS mouldings, a liquid plastic cement will work well but has to be used carefully to avoid damaging paint finishes. Butanone or 'Plastic Magic' will work well. Apply by paintbrush from inside the model if possible, so that the cement flows by capillary attraction between close fitting parts.

Archived