Flangways Inspection Saloon

johnd

On Sunday I was talking to the man from Flangways on the subject of the Inspection Saloon.

He gave the reason fro the delay on the falling pound but was optimistic that it would be released in 2011.

What also came up was the tooling cost which was £58K. So just to cover the cost of the tooling he must sell apprx 1160 units at the price quoted.

On that basis every layout should have one or more in different liveries. I suspect that the intial release may be in different liveries to those mentioned before.

If at an exhibition you see flangways go and talk to him and give your support or we may not get the model which a lot of us would like

I think 1160 units could be made, the fact is to make them in liveries that you know would sell.

There have been different liveries that the saloons have carried, but a few of us would have more than one. BR Maroon would be popular, as would one in Choc and Cream. Then again EWS would be too for modern modellers. I dare say I would have more than 2! A regional railways one would be interesting for me... so I think the case is there. Its just gauging how many people want them and in which livery. Be interesting if it does crop up in a wish list during a poll this year.....

• 1 year later...

58K :O That's like a shed code from a hallucinogenic dream.

I hope someone might have news, but the website doesn't fill the visitor with confidence. In the absence of definitive gen, I may call into the shop and ask.

I know the man from Flangeways and had asked him for info on this a while ago.

The story at that point was that he was looking in to producing a few more wagons to enable him to up the capital to enable him to produce it. He gave the indication that it would be pushed back to late 2012 / early 13.

Alistair

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know whether Flangeway are still considering producing an inspection saloon? There were photographs of the prototype on the website a long time ago, but then they disappeared.

I notice that the website (http://www.flangeway.com/index.php) has been updated recently and highlights some more Mermaids and a new wagon for 2013 but still no mention of the inspection saloon.

Regards

David

Well, we would still like to produce the inspection saloon at some point but due to A the cost and B the possibility of it being produced by a major manufacturer we do not see this a viable project at the moment. We are considering others options so please watch this space as we produce more Snowplough's and Mermaids...

Rich - Footplate

Archived