NMRA National Convention to be held in Birmingham UK in 2022

torikoos

Jason, I'm sorry I missed you guys while you were here. I would have looked forward to it had I been able to make it.

Perhaps to your point below, I was on the Gold Coast taking the picture in my earlier post while you were in Portland.

Portland was pretty awesome. Though your transit system really needs to cross the river into Vancouver as the traffic was horrendous!

We eat out at vegetarian restaurants and the number of veggie restaurants per capita of Portland was out of this world. Everyone was really happy in Portland, though I suspect that has more to do with the legalization of marijuana than anything else....

-Jason

Birmingham has some great traditional British pubs!

OK, I'm sold....though I do have a couple of Yorkshiremen who've set up a craft brewery here making proper British beer, cask conditioned and all.  Best part - 1.8 miles away.  Maybe that's the worst part...rather close.

• RMweb Gold

I am already fed up of this thread as it's been so negative by many when there is a chance to do something so different.

Draining my interest in this forum.

A surprising amount of stereotypes thrown in for people modelling American too ;)

Oh well while the points about the NMRA being a bit blinkered may be true that focus also lead to defined standards that are much stronger than the NEM influence so as with many things the positives are often quietly ignored when there's something to shout about.

Change can happen if people work from within, Deja vu there, and like moaning about magazines contribute some of that 'missing content'.

I've been to a couple of the British Conventions and thoroughly enjoyed them so an even bigger one that included some European modelling, that includes UK still, then we'll reported back in the NMRA and MR could inspire quite a few.

I see insular attitudes and unnecessary comments about foreign stuff here when they walk past my 'foreign layouts' but then that's the same with life. If people are determined to not open their minds then let them holler but they are only ever a small minority.

Theres six years to plan and the determination that won the bid and previous record suggest they can pull the cat out of the bag :)

I have to say the positive experience of the Freemo group have lead me closer to joining the NMRA than ever before as certainly the UK branch seems well focuses on sharing and furthering the hobby. The only thing is it's like opening another flood gate with my range of interests!

I am already fed up of this thread as it's been so negative by many when there is a chance to do something so different.

Draining my interest in this forum.

Here's a radical thought for doing something different- why not enter layouts into a poll and ask members to vote for which they want to see at the Great Train Show...?

I'm sure the team have got a lot of good ideas as to what to do, and I'm guessing the main show is likely to be over-subscribed, especially since the number of venues to host layout tours is a lot less than you would expect in the US. I was sat in my single car garage yesterday busily throwing excess lengths of wire onto the floor, and contemplating how I could fit two or three layouts in there, and what the neighbours would think of a coach load of tourists turning up.

Been thinking along the same lines as Andy,everyone would be welcome at O'Neill towers,(as long as they came 4 at a time, and SWMBO moved the washing) but the logistics wouldn't way up ( the reason why I'm an ex NMRA member), 600+miles round trip to see 2 plank layouts!!.

on the plus side, you'd travel through some beautiful lake district scenery to get there.

Ray

from deepest west Cumbria

Here's a radical thought for doing something different- why not enter layouts into a poll and ask members to vote for which they want to see at the Great Train Show...?

Because public polls always go the way you thought they'd go, right? You'd end up with Trainy McTrainface topping the list.

It can't hurt to ask for suggestions but then the apply some objective criteria to find the best of the best for a show to run in conjunction with the convention.

Cheers

David

Sorry Guys, I think this is really good for the NMRA and the NMRABR here in the UK. I agree with the guys who are saying people will come over from the US I think they will. Birmingham is well connected and i think alot of people will be able to combine the convention with a UK holiday. London in about an hour, wonderful Manchester in under 2 hours, with homage to the world's first passenger railway station on Liverpool st, oh and over 70 real ale & craft breweries. From Birmingham NEC you can fly to most parts of the UK and even hop to anywhere in Europe in less than 2 hours! 

If your not a trader you may even find the event cheaper than a similar event in the US, Why? well if you don't fly with a US airline and choose a regional UK airport outside of London (hmm Birmingham or Manchester hint hint) you can get return flights for under $500 if you shop around. Secondly if the event is at the NEC then you can commute quite easily from places where the hotels are well quite frankley peanuts. Lastley we don't know what a Tip is so that saves you cash everytime you eat out or go to the pub!

The people I worry about with this one are the traders, its going to cost a fortune to ship a booth across from the US and import the necessary stock and with potential import duty on top!

Now being in Scotland its going to be a pain in the a*** for me to get down to Birmingham by car and will probably take longer than an tansatlantic flight but will be worth it. Being near Edinburgh and working there everyday crossing that lovely bridge from Fife, i can tell you guys there are already alot of rail enthusiasts from the US who come here for holidays and travel across the UK and europe.  I can't see 2022 being any different from a US  convention except perhaps getting the clearance from the WAGs for a holiday to Europe might be easier than some on here suspect. Still as there are easily less than 500 NMRA members in the UK getting 1500 to the convention here would be an amazing achievement!

Hopefully I am off to the 2017 national convention in florida next year but currentley the £/$ exchange rate means its going to cost me about 4 brass O scale locos! So probably not :( maybe trainfest instead.

Because public polls always go the way you thought they'd go, right? You'd end up with Trainy McTrainface topping the list.

I think that's just the British "Sense of humor". Elsewhere the Pacific Northwest gets to name their new research vessel "SoundGuardian", which pleased me no end.

(Written on my AndroidyMcAndroidFace).

I should add to my earlier comments, to ensure nobody gets the idea I am against the British convention and show. Knowing Kathy as I do, this convention and show will be amazing. She and her team have the opportunity to break the stagnant mould of nationals in the USA and show the NMRA movers and shakers how to do it correctly. 

-Jason

I think that's just the British "Sense of humor". Elsewhere the Pacific Northwest gets to name their new research vessel "SoundGuardian", which pleased me no end.

(Written on my AndroidyMcAndroidFace).

Does Chris Cornell get to name it?

Will  the convention be open to the general public or just NMRA members??, speaking as a ex NMRA member

Ray

I'm sure that 'ex' members & the general public will have access, certainly to the 'show' part of the Convention, there may be a 'member' only day, or part day, or certain events in parallel, but I would imagine that there would be access for all.

And failing that, you can already be an NMRA-BR member for less than £15,-  per year! ;-)   

http://www.nmrabr.or...sted-in-joining

And failing that, you can already be an NMRA-BR member for less than £15,-  per year! ;-)   

not where I live, nearest meet is a 350+ round trip to Crewe, went over to JH Wrights meet in Newcastle, poor turn out only 3 turned up, including me!!,I've been a member twice, afraid there won't be a third, i'm happy to support TVNAM instead.

No members in my area, all ex members, it's still a Southern based society, there's a small pocket of members around Scotland, which is no nearer, hope Kathy and her helpers make a good go of it and wish them all the best.

Ray

No members in my area, all ex members, it's still a Southern based society, there's a small pocket of members around Scotland, which is no nearer, hope Kathy and her helpers make a good go of it and wish them all the best.

Hey Ray

I am trying to get a Scottish Division meet going again using one of the exisiting railway clubs rooms, location tbc but certainley in a railway town north of the central belt, but given the access to the internet i don't see why more is not available from the NMRA in digital format. Clinics should be broadcast through the internet or something then every member can get involved, meetings are important but there are other ways to involve people.

G

I don't know if it was coincidence, or a redirection of advertising funds as a result of recent events, but the OMGB advertising campaign really ramped up TV advertising in the US - and not just during tennis broadcasts (where you might find a more pliable audience than the average American).

While 2022 is still a very long way off, I can see Britain being a popular travel destination for American tourists this summer.

Just don't take them for a ploughman's. They might be confused by cheese you can't spray. :)

Cheers

David

I would venture a guess that you've never been to King Eider's Pub in Damariscotta, Maine. The "Ploughman's Platter" is superb. http://www.kingeiderspub.com/menu/0/menus.aspx

In any case, it was George Bernard Shaw who pointed out the absurdities of English spelling by showing that the word "fish" could also legitimately be spelled "ghoti".

Mike

Just for the heck of it, that isn't true.

Although "gh" can have an "f" sound, it doesn't if it is in the wrong place (plaice?), e.g. "enough".

The "o" from "women" is an idiomatic thing dependent on the specific word.

And finally, "ti" is used for "sh" when followed by another vowel, e.g. dementia, explanation.

Sadly, no one had the guts to point this out to GBS. Nowadays he would be derided as an intellectual bully.

It was entirely random that Webster chose "color" and Johnson "colour": indeed, the latter personage was concerned with definitions, and not with setting the correct spelling. (He quite possibly was mildly dyslexic, along with some of his other problems.)

OK. If enough and tough sound as if they end with "uff" why does it not follow that "plough" be pronounced as if it were spelled "pluff"? As for the "ti" being pronounced "sh", from the looks of it, the current pronunciation is the result of words being slurred and the slurred form taking precedence over time as it's actually easier to use in spoken form. Hmm. That raises the question of why there's no "o" before the "u" in "pronunciation" and why it's not "pronounciation" in both written and spoken form.

Let's face it. English spelling is highly idiosyncratic compared to other languages. When I was younger, it was "sulphur", not "sulfur" and you got marked down for using "thru" and not "through". Oh God, there's another can (tin) of worms for "ough".

Mike

A lot of American English makes more sense than English English (if that makes sense) but one oddity in the USA is that 'fish and chips' comes with what we know as chips but a 'burger and chips' comes with crisps

That's probably because we adopted the name for the dish without Americanizing it.

Mike

• RMweb Gold

Guys, a separate thread on pronunciation? ;)

This is going way off topic trying to explore stereotypes.

The NMRA has its pros and cons but this is a big deal and the U.K. Group must have put forward a draft plan to win it so look at this as an opportunity to open it up and ignore those with narrow views who will shout. This could be used as a drive to show the benefits of joining the NMRA in the UK and show how diverse American modelling is. I hope they consider bringing across a couple of 'big names' to do talks, Tony Koester, Pelle Soeborg, Lance Mindheim, Joe Fugate are just a few ideas if the NMRA can help out with funds ;)

Yes it would be expensive but getting them to write about it in MR and MRH would also be a benefit.

Hopefully they will also talk to Continental Modeller and do a special issue in the lead up to it.

I should add to my earlier comments, to ensure nobody gets the idea I am against the British convention and show. Knowing Kathy as I do, this convention and show will be amazing. She and her team have the opportunity to break the stagnant mould of nationals in the USA and show the NMRA movers and shakers how to do it correctly.

-Jason

You're absolutely right. It really makes no sense to hold the national during peak travel season when prices are higher than at any other time. It may just be inertia (we've always done it that way). The national certainly doesn't need to last as long as it does. Having a shorter off-peak convention would certainly reduce the cost for all.

Incidentally, the 2021 convention is being held in my neck of the woods (well, within 125km). If anyone is considering going, I'd be happy to provide info on places to go and things to see. British Airways recently inaugurated non-stop flights between Heathrow and San Jose.

Mike

Sorry, Paul. It wasn't my intention to clutter things up.

It may be 6 years away, but I'm really looking forward to the Birmingham convention and I'm glad the British Region managed to the snag the slot. The naysayers on this side of the Atlantic notwithstanding, it's about time for the routine to get shaken up.

Mike

Firstly, apologies for being rude and not welcoming you to the forum!

When you say, "this side of the Atlantic", where are you?

You are not the first to comment on negativity, so I have just skimmed back over the thread.

One non-American was close to offensive with stereotypes, but posts from others corrected him.

Two Americans expressed dispair at some of their fellow countrymen (which led to comments about similar, parochial attititudes in this country and elsewhere) and a couple of comments were borderline negative, but that's it, out of 114 posts including this.

There has been a lot of good natured banter about misunderstandings.

There have been some very positive comments about Americans. I should know: I made some of them.

Where is this supposed negativity?

There has certainly been no naysaying about the convention, but lots of (somewhat premature) interest in how it might take shape. And yes a few genuine concerns about how it might go wrong, but the key word here is concern, not wrong.

---

Whilst here (not worth a post in its own right)...

I did start by saying:

But that apart, there are seven different pronunciations of "ough", none of which have anything to do with fish, so I wasn't sure of the point: the unsystematic spelling of English, with 100 ways of writing 44 or 43 sounds (depending where you are from), and the fact that North American and British English are considered "super dialects" has already been raised many times. We know - but the "ghoti" example is a false illustration of the point.

(And it's still "sulphur" to me. :) )

Actually, it is I who should apologize to all of you for not introducing myself before firing away.

You ask where I am. Currently, my wife and I are in Mid-Coast Maine. However, our official residence is in Monterey, California. I'm a member of the Pacific Coast Region, Coast Division, which will be hosting the convention the year preceding the Birmingham convention.

I apologize for the confusion I might have caused in referring to negativity. I wasn't referring to this forum, but the one at Model Railroad Hobbyist. The reaction of some of the more provincial types was so outraged, you'd have thought the Royal Navy was threatening to steam up the Potomac and shell Washington, D.C. Quite frankly, I was dumbfounded not only that there was that kind of reaction, but the sheer venom of it. Here are a couple of quotes from the same individual:

Terrible decision by an idiotic group of leaders. It is the National Model Railroad Association not the International Model Railroad association. It is a U.S. organization that needs to stay in the U.S. and let the other countries get their own organization.

-----------------------------

No they do not count for anything. This is the problem, we are not a global community. We in the U.S. need to retain our nationalism and let the other countries have theirs. It is a U.S. organization and should have never allowed regions outside of the U.S. and it's(sic) territories.

No doubt, he'd like to build a wall in the middle of the Atlantic and have you lot pay for it.

Mike

Archived