The Milan and Cairo Railroad

The trackplan, the modelling, and the scenics are spot on - as a fan of small layouts that one really uses some very good ideas. I know you originally said that the boards were 48" boxes,x 6" wide and had been widened - what is the new width please? and presumably the side of the triangular board are 30"?  It bhas me thinking about a sho0rtline in Florida!

The Milan Junction board is now 13'' wide and Milan is about 10'' wide. The sides of the corner board are 30''.

I must admit I've been admiring the various modern Florida layouts. Low-rise buildings, water and palm trees, CSX geeps. Lance Mindheim has a lot to answer for! What era are you thinking about?

• Like 1

Thanks for the size info.

It's Easter-ish - a movable feast - somewhere between 50's and 80's, or end of the century to current. I have critters, 44-. 45-.70- tonners, Plymouth MDT, 6-wheeler and a 4-wheeler on order, a couple of Track-mobiles, and diesels from SWs to GPs so no problem with power - my main problem is lack of space, so likely something backwoodsy and shortline-ish. It could also go across to SF as I have a whole assortment of locos for there

Mind you, if the one in Michigan is anything to go by, it would be pronounced "My-lan". As for Cairo, I can't comment...

I think the locals pronounce it 'Mee-lan and Kay-ro'! I was toying with the Bristol & Cadiz or even the Bristol, Cadiz & Pacific to go for the maritime theme but thought this a bit OTT for a land-locked shortline.

• Like 1

The other alternative at the moment is to go like the lower one on this post [5th down] http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8864&start=210  as I already have - (if I take the track currently on it) off, a suitable board with enough space for a tail track on the right. As you say, LM has much to answer for.

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

The other alternative at the moment is to go like the lower one on this post [5th down] http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8864&start=210  as I already have - (if I take the track currently on it) off, a suitable board with enough space for a tail track on the right. As you say, LM has much to answer for.

I've been thinking of a layout based on the Union Railroad of Oregon ever since reading the Chris Ellis book on US shortlines. I think I could fit the interchange, lumber yard and street running in my available space and now Walthers are making the two-axle Plymouth which will be perfect motive power.

I'd be very interested - I have several of the URRO boxcars re-numbered ( different # each side, to double the fleet) as I was thinking the same - that was what triggered my thoughts on seeing your plan - great minds, methinks! A further American modelling book is just out.

EDIT: Knowing your interest in Critters found this this morning, Fort Eustis Military RR https://www.facebook.com/armyrail/videos/677663995714898/

Edited by shortliner

I'd be very interested - I have several of the URRO boxcars re-numbered ( different # each side, to double the fleet) as I was thinking the same - that was what triggered my thoughts on seeing your plan - great minds, methinks! A further American modelling book is just out.

EDIT: Knowing your interest in Critters found this this morning, Fort Eustis Military RR https://www.facebook.com/armyrail/videos/677663995714898/

That's a great bit of footage. The trouble with being a shortline fan is that there is so much inspiration it's hard to know which way to go. I've got an Athearn CF7 sitting in a box which is crying out for a more up-to-date setting - perhaps Florida like you suggest. The temptation is to try and squeeze in every favourite shortline feature and ending up with something that looks too contrived. Having said that, this is a good problem to have and, as you have shown, the beauty of these schemes is that they can be built relatively quickly. 

Here are a couple of photos of the good old days. 

post-14541-0-91839600-1469688502.jpg

No. 7 is a Chris Ellis-inspired gas-electric doodlebug. (In fact, Chris Ellis has provided inspiration for most of this project!) It's based on the Bachmann Brill trolley but still needs some cow-catchers.

I couldn't resist a BLI inspection car when Model Junction were selling them at a discount a while back. I've added a horn and plow and given it a blast of dullcote. 

post-14541-0-10598300-1469688507.jpg

It really is great fun to watch this little creature scuttle along the line.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here's a shot of an inspection car. The MKT had five like this for their divisional bosses, but besides inspection, this ones been knitted out with seats above the front mudguards. I gather the idea was you could use it to go hunting along the line. No, I don't know what they were shooting at. Like the game keeper who was out looking round his patch, and found a highly attractive young lady without much on. He asked who she was, she replied "I'm game", and he shot her. Or didn't you wish to know that?post-26540-0-15630100-1469713478_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

Here are a couple of four wheel critters.

post-14541-0-75847300-1470081331.jpg

The EMD Model 40 is Roundhouse and really is a superb runner. The Mack is a nice Jordan Highway Miniatures kit and is unpowered but gets the occasional tow down the line.

For a while I was thinking of going down the interurban route and here are a couple of shots of boxcab electric no. 112.

post-14541-0-83041100-1470081334.jpg

post-14541-0-92336200-1470081338.jpg

It's a shortened Roundhouse body on a Bachmann Plymouth chassis. The pantograph came from an ancient Lima Class 87! Now I just need an excuse to run it and a few trolley cars. I can feel another micro layout coming.

• Like 3

Quite right! I'm thinking narrow shelf interurban with just two or three turnouts.

........and this I AM looking forward to seeing!  There is an URGENT requirement for a trackplan, as I'd like to see your thoughts

Edited by shortliner

........and this I AM looking forward to seeing!  There is an URGENT requirement for a trackplan, as I'd like to see your thoughts

I'm thinking of something along the lines of the Two Rivers plan that appeared in MTI a few years ago. I quite like the idea of a river bridge linking a city with a more rural area. On the freight side I like the idea of a single-car car barge and loading ramp. Fitting this all into 6'6'' x 8'' could be a challenge but I liked Andrew Knights Garfield Terminal that packed a lot into even less space (but on two levels) so it should be possible. 

I'm thinking of something along the lines of the Two Rivers plan that appeared in MTI a few years ago. I quite like the idea of a river bridge linking a city with a more rural area. On the freight side I like the idea of a single-car car barge and loading ramp. Fitting this all into 6'6'' x 8'' could be a challenge but I liked Andrew Knights Garfield Terminal that packed a lot into even less space (but on two levels) so it should be possible.

Must admit I'm thinking around "Wichards Wharf"(SMT July92/"Port Able"(MTI-8) but in HO rather than O gauge. Seriously considering repurposing current baseboard(s)

This is the best I can come up with so far and its probably going to be at least a five foot by five foot L-shape. I could probably reduce this by losing the train-ferry.

post-14541-0-05048000-1470725551.jpg

The idea is to use a couple of passenger cars (Bachmann Brill or AHM 4-wheeler) on two services. Both terminate at the left-hand end but one is imagined to continue to a further destination. The line swings over a bridge into the city where it clings on to a narrow shelf of land. The city is advancing up to the line so everything is nice and compact. I have indicated a line heading north and this could be a siding or another passenger line.

Freight is simply the boxcab pulling a car of the ferry/float and running up the line to the industry.

I'm thinking of a 1950s setting where the line is clinging on but under threat from a new road bridge being constructed.

• Like 5

Here are a couple of four wheel critters.

attachicon.gifMC3.JPG

The EMD Model 40 is Roundhouse and really is a superb runner. The Mack is a nice Jordan Highway Miniatures kit and is unpowered but gets the occasional tow down the line.

For a while I was thinking of going down the interurban route and here are a couple of shots of boxcab electric no. 112.

attachicon.gifMC4.jpg

attachicon.gifMC5.jpg

It's a shortened Roundhouse body on a Bachmann Plymouth chassis. The pantograph came from an ancient Lima Class 87! Now I just need an excuse to run it and a few trolley cars. I can feel another micro layout coming.

My father built something like that in O Scale using an Atlas WDT locomotive.

• 4 weeks later...

As well as the RDC, I dug out a few old favourites for a spin at the weekend. First up is an Atlas Alco that has been in storage for many years and yet it ran flawlessly on dirty track.

post-14541-0-14146100-1473088196.jpg

Next a couple of EL switchers that are waiting for that NY harbour layout to appear (one day!).

post-14541-0-63668300-1473088198.jpg

Finally some shots of an ancient ER-models Sharknose. It sounds a bit rough these days but runs nicely (Roco mechanism I believe) and is a favourite of mine. I know it looks quite crude and adding all the handrails took quite a bit of time but I still think it cuts the mustard growling along.

post-14541-0-62259700-1473088203.jpg

post-14541-0-39275800-1473088206.jpg

post-14541-0-51571900-1473088211.jpg

post-14541-0-65098000-1473088214.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've been adding a few details to the layout. Nothing too exciting, just bits of clutter here and there and more grass tufts. I've also lettered a few of the locos for the MCRR as shown on no. 49 below.

post-14541-0-45174500-1474300566.jpg

The lettering is Letraset rub-down transfers that are easy to use and don't have the carrier film associated with water-slide transfers.

Cheers

Max

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...