The Milan and Cairo Railroad

Max, just two more questions . . .

Are the turnouts/points no. 5 or no. 6?

Who makes the excellent backdrop building prints?

Thanks much.

Hi Dr John

The turnouts are no. 5 because of lack of space. The background buildings are mainly Radical Flats by KingMill Enterprises. The originals were too big so I reduced them in a scanner. I've just checked the KingMill website and they are no longer producing Radical Flats which is a shame as they were rather good. 

Best wishes

Max

• 4 weeks later...

Here are a couple of photos of the old Bailey place out on the road from Milan to Milan Junction. It was abandoned a few years back and is on the point of falling down. It really is quite scary at night and just look at that pumpkin patch! Someone must be making preparations for Halloween.

post-14541-0-98502400-1477900875.jpg

post-14541-0-01384800-1477900873.jpg

• Like 6

Superpower on the M&C! A pair of GE 70 tonners arriving at Milan with a train of hoppers from the mill at Cairo. Both are Bachmann but no. 43 is unmotored and has a cut-down cab.

attachicon.gifMC1.jpg

attachicon.gifMC2.jpg

At the other end of the scale, here is a beat-up little GE 25 tonner that normally works the mill at Cairo (off scene). This is a Grandt Line kit that can just about haul a couple of cars. It does have a really nice cab interior and I need to add a bit of extra weight under the cab roof and a driver at some point.

attachicon.gifMC3.jpg

attachicon.gifMC4.jpg

In my opinion you just can't have enough critters so here is my latest acquisition, a BLI Plymouth.

attachicon.gifMC5.jpg

I need to get to work weathering this little fellow. I'm tempted to add a full length rock-protection roof in the style of some critters that worked in stone quarries. The Morning Sun 'Critters in Color' books have few examples.

Please tell me more about the Grandtline 25 tonner, did you build as per the instruction. I have a kit to build but I'm not happy or sure about the drive/motor. I would also like to have out side coupling rods as per the 45tonner.

Please tell me more about the Grandtline 25 tonner, did you build as per the instruction. I have a kit to build but I'm not happy or sure about the drive/motor. I would also like to have out side coupling rods as per the 45tonner.

I did follow the instructions and it was quite an interesting kit to put together and I thought the design was quite clever. However, I'm no expert so I struggled to get a few bits to fit and had to go back to the instructions constantly. If I'm honest, the battered bodywork hides my shabby modelling! I'm sure it would be a lot easier second time around. The combination of tiny motor, 2 axles and light weight mean it will never be the best performer but I did manage to squeeze a couple of brass blocks behind each pilot. The cab is completely free of motor which is a bonus. I have to admit that I wouldn't know where to start with outside rods.

It might be possible to squeeze in something like a Bull Ant motor/chassis to improve running though I don't know if it would fit. As I said, performance isn't the best but it is better than I expected so it will run up and down plain track quite nicely. So it would be OK pulling one or two hoppers under a loader for example. The forthcoming Walthers Plymouth is probably a better bet if you want a small loco that runs reliably through switches. You could always make the 25 tonner as a non-runner and run it in multiple with the Plymouth.

Hope this helps

• 8 months later...

Another Plymouth is on the property! 

post-14541-0-44365900-1500532585.jpg

This is the Walthers model and I'm a big fan. Runs incredibly well for such a short model and the handrails are much finer than the Broadway Plymouth. Both switchers are due to go through the works and I've found plenty of inspiration for weathering etc here: http://www.northeast.railfan.net/industrial.html

• Like 2

The chap who built Westport Terminal built 2 25tonners both with sound and flashing roof beacons! http://www.westportterminal.de/grandtline_25ton.html Sadly I believe he has now passed away. Grandtline do a boxcab version as well, same mech but a bit more room.

post-13564-0-60309700-1501166122_thumb.jpg

If my maths is right thats 9mm wheels on about a wheelbase 21mm for either version. Drawing taken from here https://www.cnwhs.org/ageir/ageir40.html

I'd be very interested - I have several of the URRO boxcars re-numbered ( different # each side, to double the fleet) as I was thinking the same - that was what triggered my thoughts on seeing your plan - great minds, methinks! A further American modelling book is just out.

EDIT: Knowing your interest in Critters found this this morning, Fort Eustis Military RR https://www.facebook.com/armyrail/videos/677663995714898/

I finally obtained a URRO boxcar to go with the new Walthers Plymouth and they both look fine together even straight from the box.

post-14541-0-81597800-1501340525.jpg

• Like 3