Brussels-Milan EC Vauban

Tim H

I realise this is as much about Belgium than Switzerland, but there is no Belgium group and it's for a Swiss layout.

A few qestions about the formation of EC "Vauban" when running over the Lötchberg line in Switzerland, and what I can do with the the N-gauge SNCB coaches I've picked up over the years.

CNV00006-L.jpg

Here's a photo I took in 2003. Can't model this particular formation due to the lack of I11 coaches. So.

(1) When did the I11s first appear on international services?

(2) I've got models in three different liveries, the grey/red/light blue of the leading vehicle, the orange of the third one, and what I assume is an intermediate livery with a darker grey and symbolic "mountain" above the "B" logo.  Any idea what the appropriate dates are for the three liveries? (I know two of the three are valid for 2003)

(3) I've seen pictures of the train with an FS Restaurant car, which I don't think it available in model form.  When did that stop running?

Tim,

Your photo encapsulates one of the reasons I model European 'HO' from earlier years. Look at the variety of coaches in the rake: Different liveries, different coach types and from different countries. A wonderful mish-mash.

I am reminded of a small challenge I had with a fellow Austrian modeller - to re-create the "Arlberg Express" (Vienna - Paris Est) from the early 1980s. The only rule was that no two coaches could be of the same type, and no two coaches could wear the same livery. We both got up to a 7-coach train, with the added bonus of a Norwegian El16 electric on the front, something the Austrians had borrowed to help them through a problem they were having with their 1044s - wrong kind of snow getting into the ventilation fans.

Whilst I admire those who seek to model a real train formation, nevertheless I agree with Tim that the attraction is in the variety of rolling stock on trains which pass through the many borders.

Even within the borders of Switzerland - for example on the RhB - there is a large variation in formation because of re-paints (Bernina Line coaches) and rebuilds (Ge 4/4') and constant livery changes (Ge 4/4" and Ge 4/4''').  Add the brand new Allegra 3-car units, some with more powerful motors to become a 'train engine', and you have the scope for anything but a dull layout !

Sorry, but I model for the fun of it and don't take the hobby - or myself - too seriously  :jester: After 28 years of exhibiting - the polite word for anything up to 5 hours in a van, then erecting an 18ft by 6ft layout (often by myself), playing trains, and then packing it up and travelling home again - it is bliss !

Thanks for that link; most of the photos are slightly later than the period I'm really interested it, but still some useful photos.  I see it reverted to older stock rather than I11s in later years, after a period when it was SBB coaching stock.

Archived