Looking for a competant 3d designer to make alteration's to stl file's

I am posting this to try to find a good 3d print designer who can either alter my existing cad drawing's, and or alter my stl file's, I have had all them sent to me on dropbox, but I do not wish to use the company that created them as it took them far too long.

I need to find someone who can work from photograph's and capture complex curves.

The cad drawings and stl file's I have need some alteration's doing as they have got some of the curves and other details wrong, the cad drawing's show the measurement's of the part's in 4mm scale.

• RMweb Gold

Don't look at me as I can't even see in 3D!

However, if you post some examples you may pique some ones interest.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

I didn't know whether to 'like' that last post or not, due to your previous post not expressing disapproval of the shape.

(I am totally unfamiliar with this prototype and so can not comment except to say that (maybe) the roof is not right?)

But it does show great initiative on your part.

One thing to remember, is to show these 3D renditions from the point of view of an observer on a platform.

That is the most common view one sees trains from.

Kev.

(At least my replies are allowing other, more knowledgeable members, to come across this thread...)

I am posting this to try to find a good 3d print designer who can either alter my existing cad drawing's, and or alter my stl file's, I have had all them sent to me on dropbox, but I do not wish to use the company that created them as it took them far too long.

I need to find someone who can work from photograph's and capture complex curves.

The cad drawings and stl file's I have need some alteration's doing as they have got some of the curves and other details wrong, the cad drawing's show the measurement's of the part's in 4mm scale.

Try contacting Justin Newitt:

http://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/commissions

regards

Mike

This is just the sort of job I would want to see the quality of the information before I would even think about quoting. Without scans or works drawings the out come is going to depend on how the various people involved interpret photographs, and that is never going to produce an easy producer-client relationship.

I have been told by another designer it was done on Solidworks , but I have not asked the firm who did it for me yet.

I have been told better results could of been done with Blender, or the software 3d rail simulator designers use.

those type of complex curves on roofs are never easy. I compromised on my own designs by assuming I would have to finish it off. Did not worry me at the time. To scatchbuild would have been even more difficult.  I am sure there are formulae I could enter to get correct profile but I wanted to get designs done.

As mentioned above, you need to start with good drawings, even then there is a bit of fiddling to get curves looking ok. In fact looking OK is most important thing.

I do wonder if some real stuff is actually designed, or done by trial and error. Interesting to compare roof profile of a 2Bil with a 2Hsal. The 2Bil is what one would expect to see, but the 2Hal looks like a simple cut at 90 degrees, and a hard line at the 45 degree joint. Obviously not done on a computer, but is interesting by its simplicity.

Just found this thread here, which has a rough drawing. Shows the classic problem of the curve changing as it turns the 90 degrees, with added extra of a sloping cab front. I would expect it as possible to work out the formula for the changing curve, not sure if it is possible with the software mentioned. I use Alibre (Design Works) which is more mathematical in its approach , but I have got got far enough to understand the complex tools required yet

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/40949-class-442-and-class-377/.

The designer was working from a Hornby scale length mk3 to get the coach profile and size correct, and lot's of photographs from google images and flickr, unfortunately I was unable to find any accurate drawings for the class 442 for him to work with.

Was the rendering one that the designers provided? Might be worth downloading eDrawing viewer from Solidworks ( https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/edrawings/e2_register.htm ) and looking at the part files from multiple angles to determine all the areas which require modifying.

Jonathan

Hi,

Yes the designers provided all the renders, cad drawings and 3d stl file's.

Sorry should have been clearer. I was meaning that if you view the .sldprt or .sldasm file using the solidworks viewer it might help to understand whether the shape issues are really there or if its actually a product of the way the environment/material is rendered on the object - might be worth getting the designer is apply a zebra pattern to the model as this will greatly help analyse the surface contours  

Jonathan

If you haven't found a solution yet then I'd be able to help.  I've got solidworks, so if you can get the original solidworks files from the company you worked with I can take a look at the model and the photos and give you a quote.  PM me if that's of interest.

Archived