24 minutes ago, MJI said:

That site is run by the son of my old woodwork teacher.

I have a pile of photos and...............

a pile of photobucket errors.

I expect a lot of people ended up in the same situation, have you lost them all? 

23 minutes ago, MJI said:

We used to call him Mark, was a year older than me.

Was also in the school railway club and was a school friend.

Wish our school had had a Railway or Model Railway Club, particularly as I later learned that a couple of Teachers were heavily into model railways.....

14 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

That was a good find! Cheapest 3 pack I have seen recently is Kernows set at £49.95, but that is lettered for Delabole iirc, rather than "Presflo Cement" or similar. Seen Single ones on Ebay up for about £25 each, although I've not looked recently in fairness. 

The times I've seen Kernow at a Show, they usually have these at somewhat less, around £30 a pack of three. They are the Delabole ones.

John.

• Informative/Useful 2

The operating controls and pipework for discharging the wagon are all on one side so I will refer to this as the detailed side. The instruction plate and air discharge pipe (again only fitted to the detailed side) have been added along with a couple of small handrails.

20191026_164616.jpg.a9b941297917bfdaa69723f30feb0728.jpg

Just needs the roof detail sorting now.

I also have a couple of Liliput BRT Grain Hoppers on the bench again, for a little further work, namely removal of advertising hoarding framework and some detailing below the solebars. The latter involves removing the moulded pipework and brake shoes and replacement with finer items.

Before:

20191026_143424.jpg.cfd91aa9e2b47cdd6f10976215543d86.jpg

Work underway:

20191026_164244.jpg.abb8ba1ba9405051a416239f6ae90381.jpg

These wagons have some lovely depth to the moulded suspension details for their age. I will probably replace the buffer heads too, as the shanks pull out of the rather nice buffer housing. Fortunately I have lots of number transfers left from when I renumbered most of the wagons.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

6 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

The 2 grain wagons have had the sides repainted. An approximate shade of blue was mixed from 2 tins which were to hand. Transfers and weathering will follow to match the standard Bachmann one, which started out almost the same shade.....

20191027_115915.jpg.40e26cbd758e2ae9ed47fe5cc86e797f.jpg

The removal of the horizontal stanchions is probably the easiest and visually the best improvement on these wagons, there’s so many modifications you can end up making once you start closely looking at these wagons it’s a question of what not to do! Keep up the good work.

Brian.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, turbos said:

The removal of the horizontal stanchions is probably the easiest and visually the best improvement on these wagons, there’s so many modifications you can end up making once you start closely looking at these wagons it’s a question of what not to do! Keep up the good work.

Brian.

Thanks Brian, having several, I keep coming back to these wagons trying different things and as you say, there is so much that can be done, some way to go yet!

11 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

The 2 grain wagons have had the sides repainted. An approximate shade of blue was mixed from 2 tins which were to hand. Transfers and weathering will follow to match the standard Bachmann one, which started out almost the same shade.....

I've picked up the same pattern grain wagons (sadly not in the BRT livery) but will be re-reading this thread to try and take advantage of your tips!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, brylonscamel said:

I've picked up the same pattern grain wagons (sadly not in the BRT livery) but will be re-reading this thread to try and take advantage of your tips!

Thanks; as I tend to revisit stuff I have added an index to post #1 so I can (hopefully) find previous posts on the same subject.

Needless to say, Paul Bartlett's photos of these wagons are a great help for studying details: 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtgraincovhop  although these date from around 1975 onwards.

A John Boyes photo shows a dozen of these (then new) wagons, plus opens, a Van, plus Brake Van, behind a Class 20 on the Speyside line in 1966. There are 4 or perhaps 5 different brands visible on those six wagons! These hoardings seem to have been phased out by the mid 70s, "Haig" perhaps being the last to vanish. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In a rush to get the paint job finished on the BRT hoppers, today I tested a thin coat of spray Matt Acrylic Varnish on the roofs. Luckily I stopped to see if there was a reaction; there was. Hey ho. A small amount of stripping and repainting to follow then, followed by a longer wait until the gloss paint has fully hardened. Thankfully I didn't spray the sides.....

• Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Thanks; as I tend to revisit stuff I have added an index to post #1 so I can (hopefully) find previous posts on the same subject.

Needless to say, Paul Bartlett's photos of these wagons are a great help for studying details: 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brtgraincovhop  although these date from around 1975 onwards.

A John Boyes photo shows a dozen of these (then new) wagons, plus opens, a Van, plus Brake Van, behind a Class 20 on the Speyside line in 1966. There are 4 or perhaps 5 different brands visible on those six wagons! These hoardings seem to have been phased out by the mid 70s, "Haig" perhaps being the last to vanish. 

Apparently, it was not uncommon for there to be different hoardings on either side of the same wagon.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Apparently, it was not uncommon for there to be different hoardings on either side of the same wagon.

Yes I read that too, in one of the David Larkin books. Neither did the hoardings indicate the Brand or Distillery that the wagon was serving, which is wonderful for modelling different hoardings. I'm not aware of any commercial transfers for the hoardings unfortunately. 

• Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, Signaller69 said:

Yes I read that too, in one of the David Larkin books. Neither did the hoardings indicate the Brand or Distillery that the wagon was serving, which is wonderful for modelling different hoardings. I'm not aware of any commercial transfers for the hoardings 

I found a seller on Ebay that does self adhesive stickers for various things, i got some ici ones for my freightliner tank containers. They also do several grain wagon ones by the look of it:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173872634302

Also some presflow alternative panels too. 

I was impressed with the ICI ones i got, little bit annoying cutting them out but worth the effort.

Hope this helps

James

Edited by jessy1692
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

I found a seller on Ebay that does self adhesive stickers for various things, i got some ici ones for my freightliner tank containers. They also do several grain wagon ones by the look of it:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173872634302

Also some presflow alternative panels too. 

I was impressed with the ICI ones i got, little bit annoying cutting them out but worth the effort.

Hope this helps

James

Thanks James, I will take a look!

All the best,

Martyn.

Edited by Signaller69
Edit: had a look at this range, they do a lot of useful self adhesive logos etc for tanks, cement Presflos, whisky grain etc. Worth a look as James says.
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, leopardml2341 said:

Hello Martyn,

From where did you purchase the small etched handwheels you're using on the Presflos please?

Hi Andy,

They are from Wizard Models, who do various sets. The smallest ones I used are a little oversized, think it was ref. CWSHB on this list:

https://www.wizardmodels.ltd/?s=Hand+wheels&post_type=product

The set CWSBD may be better for this application possibly?

Hope this helps.

Martyn.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This is where I’ve gotten to with my Whisky Blue today, decals are mostly Railtec and a couple of Fox and Modelmaster ones as well. This view is the corner that had suffered some damage, which contributed to it only costing a few quid. Hopefully finish it by the end of the year!

85094AD0-33DF-42D9-B99A-F0964CC4FE59.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

1 hour ago, turbos said:

This is where I’ve gotten to with my Whisky Blue today, decals are mostly Railtec and a couple of Fox and Modelmaster ones as well. This view is the corner that had suffered some damage, which contributed to it only costing a few quid. Hopefully finish it by the end of the year!

85094AD0-33DF-42D9-B99A-F0964CC4FE59.jpeg

That is looking really good, you have got further with yours than I have with mine; what hand brake gear did you use?

I've left the moulded ladders and not progressed with the underfloor hopper details at all as yet. I currently have 3 Lima ones which I am pretty much happy with, now that the suspension has been modified as you have done.

I also have 5 Liliput/Trix/Bachmann ones, 2 or 3 will retain the hoardings, 2 have had the hoarding framing removed, 1 has had new brake shoes fitted but otherwise all 5 need the underfloor gubbins and buffers to be sorted when time permits and I get the parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Some while back, I decided to do away with the roof walkways/mesh vent affairs along the centre line on my heavily reworked class 29s, after some discussion on here, as I could find no evidence they were so fitted, and if they were they were very subtle unlike on the Hornby model; but equally, definitive roof photos of 29s are seemingly non existant, even in the recent definitive book on these locos. So it was nice to see today, that Dapol's decorated sample class 29's have them so subtle as to be almost unnoticeable, except ahead of the roof fan at the no.1 end. Dapol were kind enough to let me borrow one for a quick photo shoot on my layout "Crinan" too. This included a pose with my Bachby Hornmann 2 tone green D6121, showing their shade of Sherwood Green looks better than the Hornby one. Dapol Production models are due soon with further tweaks over this sample model I am informed......thanks to them for the brief loan of 6112.20191109_092527.jpg.7722c3b85bcdfbc0b6a4afd4076225a7.jpg

20191109_091211.jpg.c248e49c860af0618238693ea49abf74.jpg20191109_091141.jpg.2fb1c78582e8aff0867ea24e90518678.jpg20191109_092241.jpg.dc13383a7b673fffd034184e8e7aa7e4.jpg

• Like 9

Now they do look good, also it goes to show with a bit/lot of work how well the Hornby ones can come up. They were pretty close to a decent model but who knows how they got it so wrong! Your conversions are probably the best iv seen, definitely worth the time and effort.

Cheers

James

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Now they do look good, also it goes to show with a bit/lot of work how well the Hornby ones can come up. They were pretty close to a decent model but who knows how they got it so wrong! Your conversions are probably the best iv seen, definitely worth the time and effort.

Cheers

James

Thanks for your kind words James. The Dapol model has some superb detail fittings and a lovely finish, which are far finer than mine, but I'm happy enough that mine can stand alongside the Dapol one and not be TOO shown up. It is likely one or 2 will be added to the fleet I have to admit. But here are a couple more cruel comparison photos.

20191109_092504.jpg.cfe1f54643afb92cf1055651953a1249.jpg20191109_092544.jpg.d3864944ba5ae8d52f1c81f0d6251b25.jpg

The Hornby Sherwood Green will probably be getting a repaint at some point, being more apple green by comparison to the Dapol colours which I think look much better. 

• Like 10